Old 27 October 2013, 17:18   #1

Length: 7m +
Damaged rib

Not storm related, dry stack related. Went to pop out on rib saturday and found when it was put back in dry stack the previous week who ever put it back must have been blind folded. I have a scrape along one side on the cover where it was pushed and scraped against metal upright of dry stack and a dent in the gps aerial , a bent gps aerial stainless tube and dented a frame where it hit the skeg of a boat above. Im rather pissed off about it.
Old 27 October 2013, 18:23   #2

Town: Top RH corner of Hants
Boat name: Logan
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam
Aaargh

You mean they didn't contact you to let you know??!! Someone needs their wrist slapping, and the rest!! Has it taken you this long to calm down?
Old 27 October 2013, 18:35   #3

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Where was the dry stack? Hope you get it sorted.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2013, 09:13   #4

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Ouch!!!!

I guess accidents can happen, but they should have had the decency to let you know. Either way, if it's their fault they should sort it for you.

Good luck
Old 28 October 2013, 12:10   #5

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Accidents can happen however are you not insured by the drystack for such incidents ??
Old 28 October 2013, 14:51   #6

Yes accidents will happen, especially if boat handling procedures are not followed which I think may be the case with this incident. Yes they have verbally admitted liability and im sure will pay for damages to be put right. However as its not the first nor the second incident ive had im rather annoyed as it means ive got to mess about now and get quotes etc etc and sort it out. Would rather it wasnt damaged in the first place and it would not have happened if normal safe practicies were followed (I believe).

Any one know where I can get a GPS Antenae for an old Garmin 178C GPS Plotter/Sounder which isnt made anymore.

Anyone know how stainless steel tubing once bent can be put right ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3512.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	86741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3509.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	86742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3515.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	86743  
Old 28 October 2013, 16:26   #8

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Maybe it's time to consider moving to another dry stack? 3-times is a bit excessive
Old 28 October 2013, 16:49   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Joka-Tu
Make: Monterey
Engine: Inboard
Re the tubing contact
J B Yacht Services
The Birches,Sarisbury Court,Holly Hill Lane,Sarisbury Green,Southampton, Hampshire, SO31 6AG
Tel: 01489 572487

They did a great job on my old boat and made a custom cover for the current one which has stood the test of time.
Old 30 October 2013, 21:09   #10

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: outboard
That'll be Cobbs quay then!
Old 31 October 2013, 11:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Maybe it's time to consider moving to another dry stack? 3-times is a bit excessive
Having chatted to a few people recently I think the number of boats getting damaged on dry stacks is far more than people would think. While they have advantages there isnt a whole lot of room for error where the boats go in and the use of a forklift is difficult due to not being able to see where you going very well, which is why the use of a person on the ground to help direct the forklift driver is important. If dry stacks followed operating procedures to the letter many accidents could be avoided.

The dry stack in question has verbably excepted responsibility and I am hoping will pay for the damage, however it doesn't compensate for the fact I cant use my boat for a number of weeks or months while it gets sorted so I am very miffed, especialy as the accident in my opinion was completely avoidable if they had followed their own operating procedures whic I have doubts they did.
Old 31 October 2013, 14:06   #12

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I cant use my boat for a number of weeks or months while it gets sorted
Why not, doesn't sound like any of it is that serious?
Old 31 October 2013, 21:18   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Having chatted to a few people recently I think the number of boats getting damaged on dry stacks is far more than people would think. While they have advantages there isnt a whole lot of room for error where the boats go in and the use of a forklift is difficult due to not being able to see where you going very well, which is why the use of a person on the ground to help direct the forklift driver is important. If dry stacks followed operating procedures to the letter many accidents could be avoided.

The dry stack in question has verbably excepted responsibility and I am hoping will pay for the damage, however it doesn't compensate for the fact I cant use my boat for a number of weeks or months while it gets sorted so I am very miffed, especialy as the accident in my opinion was completely avoidable if they had followed their own operating procedures whic I have doubts they did.
I hope they aren't charging you to store it while you can't use it due to their negligence.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2013, 06:44   #14

Had a marine survey done yesterday just to confirm areas of damage, looks like repairing the A Frame isnt viable as wont be same again, so need new A Frame, new GPS Antanae and new cover plus re rigging work and fitting, a rather costly accident. I have met with management at Marina who were very understanding around my concerns.

So yes Marina will pay for damage to be put right, they are also going to be looking at handling procedures and tightening up on some aspects of those to ensure accidents are less likely in the future and they will be giving me a discount for next years marina fees to compensate for time my boat is not in use until its repaired. So still a pain in the backside and not happy it happened but a satisfactory outcome and the marina has handled it well by agreeing to put it right and also improving operations around boat handling.

I accept accidents will happen its how they are dealt with by marinas which makes all the difference to us customers.
Old 05 November 2013, 06:49   #15

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
I accept accidents will happen its how they are dealt with by marinas which makes all the difference to us customers.
+1 glad you've got a satisfactory result and can enjoy next years boating season
Old 05 November 2013, 08:30   #16

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
That a good outcome, considering we are all subject to accidents happening. Its nice to see a good response from the Marina.

I suppose the only plus point is your out of action now, rather than at the height of the summer.
Old 05 November 2013, 08:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
That a good outcome, considering we are all subject to accidents happening. Its nice to see a good response from the Marina.

I suppose the only plus point is your out of action now, rather than at the height of the summer.
Maybe but I use my boat all year round, in fact apart from recently you can get some really lovely days in the winter, cold but bright sunshine, flat calm seas and not many people about, boating in the winter can be really excellent.
Old 05 November 2013, 08:55   #18

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Good point, in that case its not so good
Old 05 November 2013, 12:31   #19

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Bad news all round really on the damage front & its clear your boat is well looked after.

Hopefully Cobra may have an 'off the shelf' frame that will fit & someone local can re-rig it pretty quickly with the GPS bits. Maybe just take the entire boat over to Cobra in Xch for them to do the work ?

The rubbish weather window looks to be here for a week or so yet from what I've seen.
Old 26 November 2013, 19:57   #20

I keep finding more damage, had a survey done which to be honest wasnt what i had expected, missed a few bits. While putting it on a trailer i spotted a nasty scrape on the front edge of hull, have also noticed more buckling of the a frame and the rubber joining bit between rubbing strake and tube is severly cracked on the side which impacted the dry stack uprights. Ive got it home now to give it a massive clean, then its off to rib shop to have some new bits done to console, getting a raymarine e7 fitted as old garmin unit is way old and might as well be changed out as i was going to change it next year, the damage to the gps antanes has just made me do it sooner so no pointngetting the antanea replaced. Cant get a frame done till january.

Im still really annoyed, the marina better pay up and not quibble, or i will take legal action which would cost them even more, let alone the p.r. Damage. The bill so far is over £3000 to put right.

Its costimg me a lot in time and effort to sort out let alone not having a boat to use.

Tags
rib