RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Hightower, does the tube you have sat on your desk say "Hazardous highly flammable" or anything? Just wondering what the chances are of getting some orange stuff sent by air - I could wait a couple of weeks if they'll send it, but not three months if it has to come by sea.
Fraid so. It is HARMFUL and FLAMMABLE.
Old 16 September 2006, 12:35   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Fraid so. It is HARMFUL and FLAMMABLE.
Curses! I thought it would be though, most products that stick properly have got lots of dire warnings on...

The fibreglass repair kit I got has got "polyester resin containing styrene" in it but it does say it is suitable for boats so I don't know.

A tube of Araldite - now there is something I can get locally. Back to the shops again

Old 16 September 2006, 12:46   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
The fibreglass repair kit I got has got "polyester resin containing styrene" in it but it does say it is suitable for boats so I don't know.
It is. Most boats (almost certainly including yours) are made from polyester resins, but they need a layer of "waterproof" gel coat to keep the water out the resin. So it is fine to use the kit you have (if you have actually damaged below the gel coat) but it won't be 100% waterproof unless you put gel coat over it (or epoxy). Or I guess even some silicone until such time as you can get the real stuff.
Old 16 September 2006, 13:03   #14

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
thats not my understanding of osmosis - since normally it happens with the gel coat still attached.
I'm sure your right, I'm no expert. But damage to the hull (or Gel Coat) would promote water ingress even though one strand of fibreglass and give the same effects as Osmosis? Wouldn't it?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 13:09   #15

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Stephen, can't you get the Argees to drop some off to you .

I like the Araldite route . There are some puttys that are epoxy based as well and some of these you can use under water as I found out when I had a leak in my Kio filtration system a few years back. And it was Fish safe!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 14:19   #16

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Or I guess even some silicone until such time as you can get the real stuff.
Fek, don't do that. If you can't get gel then just go with the laminating resin. Whilst laminating resin is not completely water resistant it is more than resistant enough for your wee repair. The orange pigment in the hull is a British standard colour. If there is definately no source of resin pigment available to you, then I'm sure you could use a paint pigment and British standard colours will be available in that. Unless no one mixes paint on the islands. Be inventive, buy some Dylon, get some powder paint from the primary school, grind up some orange peel.....for a guy who lives in a remote place, you don't half make a meal out of things.

If you're really, really, really stuck, pm me your address and I'll send you some pigment.
Old 16 September 2006, 15:29   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Stephen, can't you get the Argees to drop some off to you .

I like the Araldite route . There are some puttys that are epoxy based as well and some of these you can use under water as I found out when I had a leak in my Kio filtration system a few years back. And it was Fish safe!
I think I'll pass on that, last time they were here they took me away in a helicopter at gunpoint! Don't wish to repeat the experience, the boat can stay broken before I go down that road!!!

I've found a waterproof repair epoxy putty in a shop that seems to be designed for this sort of repair, so that seems to be the best option till I can get some proper orange gelcoat and then I'll do it properly at a later date - probably when I take it out some time during the summer to do the proper job on the tubes when the weather is warmer.

Why didn't I think to order some gelcoat repair with the #kin seat from Humber - that was only shipped a week ago....

jwalker, not so much making a meal out of things as wanting to make sure it is done properly. Living in a remote place you also get to see lots of things that have been f***ed up by somebody who thought they had half an idea of what to do but didn't. Which is why it is great to be able to ask for advice on here to make sure I at least have the right ideas, if not the right technique (as the actress said to the archbishop)

Thanks again...
Old 16 September 2006, 16:58   #18

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Living in a remote place you also get to see lots of things that have been f***ed up by somebody who thought they had half an idea of what to do but didn't.
You don't have to live in a remote place to see that!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 17:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
You don't have to live in a remote place to see that!

True!
Old 16 September 2006, 19:04   #20

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:

I've found a waterproof repair epoxy putty in a shop that seems to be designed for this sort of repair, so that seems to be the best option till I can get some proper orange gelcoat and then I'll do it properly at a later date - probably when I take it out some time during the summer to do the proper job on the tubes when the weather is warmer.

Thanks again...
Was going to suggest that myself - bought loads of the stuff from hypervalue - 1 per tube!!! For what you want I would suggest using a tiny bit of water to make the stuff more manageable - a bit like wet clay.