Old 26 September 2013, 12:14   #21

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
My rib is predominently used for diving, tubes have wear patches fitted at regular intervals for people to rest cylinders on whilst they kit up, there's no issue with kitting up on board and backward rolling in. Getting back on is a case of clip the kit onto the droplines, de-kit and then pull the kit back onto the boat at your leisure. Its really very simple, had no damage to the tubes whatsoever, however would recomend putting rubber matting down on the deck to protect it.
Old 26 September 2013, 12:16   #22
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
AJ, where do you do your diving then ? If you fancy meeting up for a dive from your / my RIB let me know.
To be honest I haven't dived in the UK for the last two years. I started to fall out of love with it being involved in the teaching side sat at 5 meters in stoney cove every weekend

Most of the lads I used to dive with have gone the same way. Although I have dived recreationally in Australia back in January and Bali last year.

Have just been looking through a few of the old diving pictures which has got me interested again, we used to go down to Weymouth a lot and chartered a boat called Tango (was orange) diving the wrecks - The M2 submarine was one of my favourite, lulworth banks, and fun fast drifts off Portland . Plymouth and Porthkerris down in Cornwall. For day trips we stuck inland with Stoney Cove and Capernwray - which is good fun.

Hmmm maybe its time to get the kit out of hibernation and get it serviced
Old 26 September 2013, 12:26   #23
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
My rib is predominently used for diving, tubes have wear patches fitted at regular intervals for people to rest cylinders on whilst they kit up, there's no issue with kitting up on board and backward rolling in. Getting back on is a case of clip the kit onto the droplines, de-kit and then pull the kit back onto the boat at your leisure. Its really very simple, had no damage to the tubes whatsoever, however would recomend putting rubber matting down on the deck to protect it.
Absolutely.

One of the reasons I bought my Rib was to give me the freedom to dive when I wanted last minute. The problem is i went way over budget and bought a really nice (i think) unmarked RIB.

As many people on here know I am very precious (OCD) over my boat and don't want it scratched or patched (how g@y does that sound ) but its the truth, I know I would be careful as I know how much it costs and its mine. However my mates I know for a fact wouldn't have the same respect.
Old 26 September 2013, 15:59   #24

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
AJ, you sound just like me in terms of OCD and spending over my budget. Perhaps I will tow a boat just for diving off
Old 26 September 2013, 16:23   #25

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
Dive Ladder

Here's an idea, Good looking skipper as well !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2H9G8174.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	85802  
Old 26 September 2013, 16:27   #26

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
I've done one like that already, I was unhappy with the amount of leverage that it put on the hinge
Old 26 September 2013, 16:38   #27

Here's one I bought second hand, I was going to fit it to a new A frame when I got round to it. I believe it was made by XS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4247407726.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	85803  
Old 26 September 2013, 16:38   #28

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I've done one like that already, I was unhappy with the amount of leverage that it put on the hinge
Make the ladder itself more vertical to minimize the leverage? Maybe build out the A frame a bit wider so it extends over the tube more, then the ladder will sit more vertically. It can't be totally vertical of course or it will be awkward to climb, but the more vertical it is the less leverage there will be.
Old 26 September 2013, 16:50   #29

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
Here's one I bought second hand, I was going to fit it to a new A frame when I got round to it. I believe it was made by XS.
Yep thats one of the XS boarding ladders.
Old 26 September 2013, 16:51   #30

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
AJ, where do you do your diving then ? If you fancy meeting up for a dive from your / my RIB let me know.
Mostly behind closed doors!!
Old 26 September 2013, 16:53   #31

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Most of the lads I used to dive with have gone the same way
Downwards To visit Neptune!! or to pick up Whispers Lost anchors?
Old 26 September 2013, 17:23   #32

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Make the ladder itself more vertical to minimize the leverage? Maybe build out the A frame a bit wider so it extends over the tube more, then the ladder will sit more vertically. It can't be totally vertical of course or it will be awkward to climb, but the more vertical it is the less leverage there will be.
It was the sideways movement the was the problem. When you put large weight on one side of the bottom rung it tried to move the other way. I got it sorted out ok in the end
Old 26 September 2013, 18:13   #33

RIBase
The other thing I need is a tidy way of securing the tanks onboard. Have any of you got some pictures of how you do it ?

I have some space behind the driving seats lengthwise and imagine some sort of stainless steel work there where I can secure my two twinsets.
Old 26 September 2013, 18:38   #34

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
The other thing I need is a tidy way of securing the tanks onboard. Have any of you got some pictures of how you do it ?

I have some space behind the driving seats lengthwise and imagine some sort of stainless steel work there where I can secure my two twinsets.
I can't understand why you folks put tanks in the back and people/coxwain/consoles up front. At least for me, the tanks can take the bumpier ride.

Here's my tank rack. I can try to take a closeup pic if yo'd like. It holds up to 8 tanks. There are tabs for looping a strap through every 9 inches. So 7.25" diameter tanks, 8" diameter tanks, and doubles/twins of either size (with standard manifodl spacing) can be strapped in. I redo the strap based on what I'm carrying on any given day.

A few more pics of my setup in the album
RIBnet Forums - captnjack's Album: Water Dog, 15.5ft Polaris Spirit for scuba diving
Old 26 September 2013, 19:08   #35

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
We stiffened it up through extra brackets on the new transom ! and has worked fine for the last 2 years, we do work with commercial divers using surface supplied equipment. no problems so far.
We also have a 9m ribcraft with a fold out version behind the console, this is fastened to the existing sockets (12) in the floor, and folds out over the tube
Old 26 September 2013, 20:52   #36

Quote:
The other thing I need is a tidy way of securing the tanks onboard. Have any of you got some pictures of how you do it ? I have some space behind the driving seats lengthwise and imagine some sort of stainless steel work there where I can secure my two twinsets.
I thought of fitting a cylinder rack, I came to the conclusion that it would take up kitting up space. I lay twinsets/rebreathers in front of the console, they won't go anywhere!
Old 27 September 2013, 12:27   #37

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Nimrod
Engine: Suzuki 200
My boat has the rack at the back and leaves plenty of space for kitting up for 4 people with rebreathers and 2 stages each. I don't want my rebreather rattling about in the bow so have it tied into the rack with stages on the end or on the floor. There are too many expensive dangly bits on my kit to just leave it on the floor.

If you only ever need two twinsets you could put a T shaped rack against the seats, that'll have minimal impact on kitting space.

This thread has made me think again about a ladder as I'm happy to take stages off in the water but handing quite a few Łk of rebreather always makes me nervous - even when clipped to a line.

More expensive shiny stuff...
Old 29 September 2013, 18:26   #38

RIBase
Well I reckon as its just my wife and I diving, our twinsets will fit at the back of the driving seats. There is still plenty of space between them and the rear bench seats. I thought it would be best to have the weight at the rear rather than the front. The other issue is the shower will be at the rear and the front will have a table for lunch, so I reckon the rear is the best.

It is 8.5m long for just the two of us, so space is not an issue.

I may make a mock up with some wood and see what looks / works best before investing in a stainless version.

Im going to spend some more time googling for pictures to get ideas.
Old 29 September 2013, 18:27   #39

RIBase
Trell, have you got a picture of the fold out one you mention ?
Old 29 September 2013, 18:59   #40

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Nimrod
Engine: Suzuki 200
You could use the cylinder rack as the base for the table...
I'm considering a fold up top that will sit on the rack for days when we're out playing and not diving. I saw something similar years ago that worked really well. It was held in place with 4 small loops of bungee round the stainless tube.

I'm not sure I really need a shower... :-)