Old 30 October 2004, 03:28   #1

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Custom Center pod almost complete... (pics)

Ok, my methodology is a little more drawn out than the casting method. Lets say its the "stuck cast/surfboard lamination method". I purchased 2 sheets of birch play ~ 1/8 thick. I cut the shape of the console using Limeydal's stats in consideration. I then put 2 layers of fiberglass mat in the inside using ~3/4 of a gallon of polyester resin and red pigment. Can you say mad VOC? This is the stuck cast method since it was applied like a cast without the pva release agent (it ain't coming out). Next I used woven fiberglass for the exterior. I mixed resin and pigment to make a "searider orange" resin mix. My next procedure is the "surfboard lamination method". I predetermined the shape of the to be wrapped fiberglass using butcher paper to make for a clean fit. I then used the template to cut the glass for a clean 2 piece fit to the outer skin of the pod. To finish things off I will be gelcoating with a waxing agent tomorrow and then a nice light wetsanding to smooth things out.

This is of course not the preferred method of making a pod but it works. When finished the pod should weigh in at 20-24 lbs. It should be quite stout.
Any opinions suggestions would be appreciated.

Other things I've been doing to my newly acquired boat are a oem trim gauge, Smart tab trim tabs,fuel flow indicator, and a custom front bow seat. Next on my list is a bow spray dodger. This will be made of bright orange canvas and affixed to the bow and top center of the console. More pics to come as the projects complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pod2.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	8936   Click image for larger version

Name:	pod4.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	8937   Click image for larger version

Name:	pod1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	8938   Click image for larger version

Name:	pod3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	8939  
Old 30 October 2004, 03:46   #2

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Looking good!

Nice Job!
Are you going to make a hinged seat so you have storage or maybe a hatch in the side.?
Perfect place for your battery if you havn't already got a good location for it.
Are you going to glass a top in ?.(Strengthens it as well as you can attach the seat to it ;or do you have something else planned already?)
If you are going to have it opening at the top; you may want to glass in a 3/4" or so angle. It would add a lot of strength to the "box" and also give a mounting flange for the seat to rest on and mount the hinge.
Glad it worked out for you,
cheers Dal
Old 30 October 2004, 03:53   #3

Thanks Dal.
I did make a hatch already. I also purchased the foam and marine vinyl for the seat to attach to the top. I already have a location for the battery so this is going to be a locker for safety equipment staying on the boat etc. I haven't decided if the seat is going to be mounted by a hinge or removable latches. I will post a finished product when I get there. Thanks.

Boaster.
Old 30 October 2004, 13:01   #4

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
boatster, nice job.

I was going to use this method to construct my own design of console/seat but, at the moment am unsure how I will produce a flat, smooth gel-coat like finish on the outside. I am aware of flowcoat (gelcoat with wax) but it doesn't produce a glossy finish. I would be interested to know how long it takes you get a good finish on the outside and how you go about doing it.

Cheers

Tim
Old 30 October 2004, 18:37   #5

Hi Slimtim,

I personally am not expecting a glossy finish. It will more likely be a little matte. However you can purchase a type of surfboard resin "finish coat" that is thicker, but you need a polishing wheel to get that gloss you see on some of the surfboards or sailboards. It can get tricky since you can burn the resin if polishing it too hot. I think using a gelcoat with waxing agent and a nice wetsand would yeild a good enough finish for the effort though. I'm going to attempt to thin the "hotcoat" (surfspeak for gelcoat and wax) with some accetone and use a disposable sprayer to hopefully get a smooth finish with need for minimal wetsanding.
Old 30 October 2004, 19:45   #6

I found this instruction for getting that shine to your gelcoat:

after you put the gel coat on it needs to be sanded. start with 220 wet dry and work down to 600. after the 600 polish it with FIBERGLASS compound with a high speed buffer (not an auto buffer) and you will get a mirror finish. gel coat is tough it is not like paint just use some elbow grease