Old 15 August 2003, 10:40   #1

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
Cruising to Isle of Wight

Hi All,

I intend taking my 4m RIB to the Isle of Wight with my family with a quick stay overnight or maybe 2. Could someone suggest the best place to launch from on the mainland. I have the details of Ryde Harbour where we will leave the RIB overnight whilst we are on the Island but I cannot find any place reasonable to launch from on the mainland side. Obviously it would need to be somewhere that I can leave a car and trailer overnight and since I dont have a 4 x 4 car, somewhere that is easy to launch from. I was thinking either the Portsmouth or Southampton area but am not really too bothered where on the mainland.

I found longstone harbour but having contacted them they say that parking is very limited. They couldn't really give me any suggestions at all.

Also, if you have any experience of doing this trip could you tell me what the solent is like in regards to sea condition etc and distance.

Any suggestions and pointers would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.
Old 15 August 2003, 12:47   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Youare welcome to launch and recover your boat from FirstWaveRibs unit in Saxon Wharf Southampton. you can also leave your car and trailer in the Yard which has good security. There is no charge for this, but it would be nice if you bought yourself a copy of 'Confronting Poseiden'

If your intersted 07774 401963 will get me.

If you want to go Public There is good slipways with Parking at Lee on the Solent at Hayling Island. It's a very short cruise from Lee to Ryde However

www.boatlaunch.com is always useful

Cheers
Old 15 August 2003, 14:58   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Old Portsmouth has a good slip and parking for trailer and car.

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/main/sit...&w=http%3A%2F%

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2003, 21:00   #4

Town: Cippenham, Berkshire
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 hp Mariner Four
MMSI: 235021077
I'm glad you asked the question Steve,

After our return from Scotland, we are hoping to make a trip to the Island too.

Kim
Old 16 August 2003, 22:10   #5

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
You could try..

Northney Marina

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/main/sit...orthney.JPG&w=

then pop down through Langstone Harbour (10knts) if the tides right. I think they charge £16 but that includes use of facilities and secure o/night parking.

Let me know when you are thinking of going and I may be able to accompany you across to either Ryde or Bembridge which is nearer. Be warned Ryde harbour dries out at low water.

There is an excellent B&B on an old houseboat in Bembridge Harbour.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2003, 21:27   #6

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
IOW

I would like to join you if possible for the trip over. Probably couldn't manage the overnighter.

I went across last month in a 3.6 metre RIB for the first and only time and I must say on the way out it was slightly wet. There have been days out on the Solent where you get very wet in a little RIB even though it doesn't look too bad.

Must admit I can't get my family out in to the big blue sea. Around Langstone is enough for them.

Best of luck but be prepared for a wet and slightly rough ride and you should be okay.

Having said that on my return trip about 1500 hrs the sea was brilliant. Everything seems to settle down later in the day. I landed at Bembridge and reckon it took me an hour with a couple of stops on the way out and much less on the way back.

Nick R
Old 20 August 2003, 10:29   #7

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
calshot activity centre, located by calshot spit. its a nice run to ryde. Not sure about the costs as i pay per year about £10. Give them a call. The new slip is wet enough for you to recover at all tides however at low springs the green on the bottom can be slippy... Carpark is ok too
Old 20 August 2003, 18:32   #8

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Pompey Launch Facilities

Hi Slangley,

There are two slips in Portsmouth 1 in Old Portsmouth (Camber Dock) the other on Ferry Road Eastney. Or Hayling as Ribald has mentioned.

I am about moast w/ends & live local if you would some company give me a shout.

Have fun.
Old 22 August 2003, 00:03   #9

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
Isle of Wight

Thank you for all your replies. It seems it would be quite a popular event. Perhaps we should organise a few of us to go. I know the Isle of Wight, I have been going there since I was born and nearly moved there a couple of years ago. I have just never sailed their before.

I have been in contact with Ryde Harbour and they are easy to talk too and have good facilites. The overnight costs are good as well. I worked it out that it would cost me about £6 to leave the boat there overnight. I chose Ryde because there are good travel facilities from there to the whole of the island so it is easy to get around without a car.

Perhaps we could organise this in the next few weeks as it would be good to meet up with other RIB owners and make at least a day of it if not an overnighter. Ads I am still a novice, it would be great to get advice from more experienced owners as well.

Steve.
Old 27 August 2003, 08:32   #10

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +

Lots of free public hards on the Hamble with good free parking , look up Warsash or one next to Moodys boat yard Bursledon

Personally Cowes or the Medina river is more interesting to visit

I went across to Cowes then to Beauli and back to Warsash last Sunday on a SeaRider 4 mtr with 50 HP , very impressive boat for its size.

In the Solent it is just as important to check the tides as well as wind conditions , because on a fast flow spring tide with wind against tide in only a Force 3 / 4 the Solent can be nasty with tall standing waves. Therefore much better to cross when tide not running too fast.

Expect to get wet , wash will probably be a bigger issue than solent waves from Gin palaces and Fast Cats
Old 31 August 2003, 16:39   #11

Town: London
Make: Yam
Length: 5.5
Engine: Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke
I keep and launch my rib at Northney marina on Hayling Island. Very impressive facility with toilets, showers, chandlery etc. Good concrete ramp with temporary pontoon mooring......no getting wet when launching or retrieving. Plenty of car/trailor parking all for around £16.
I regularly cruise to the I.O.W. and from the marina, Bembridge is around 1 hour, Ryde around 1hour 15mins and Cowes 1hour 30mins.
Facilities at Ryde are good....plenty of good guest houses, pubs entertainment etc inc. super beach.
Bare in mind though that Ryde sands make access to the harbour impossible for a couple of hours either side of low water so very important to plan your crossing with the tides firmly in mind otherwise several hours of your trip will be spent looking at where you want to be from a sand bank! Strongly advise use of a chart or GPS......don't be fooled by the hovercrafts......different rules!!!!
Old 03 September 2003, 18:33   #12

Town: HOOK
Boat name: George
Make: Humber
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Mercury 60hp
I'd go for Warsash as parking is free and even in high season it's still a breeze to launch. The car park is overlooked by a pub and so pretty safe. I believe you can park overnight.

Have fun