Old 17 March 2008, 11:49   #1

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Cruising in EIRE

Hi
We will be cruising from the North (of Ireland) to Kilmore Quay in the south.

In UK waters when on an extended passage we radio through at departure to the Coast Guard and register the passage plan. We call again upon safe arrival
We leave deatails also with a shore contact and sign back in with them also.

In EIRE what is the normal protocol
Are there Coast Guard stations covering different sectors? Is contact channel 16 and then they advise which channel for routine traffic?
Any info on this would be of assiatance.

Thanks
Paul
Old 17 March 2008, 12:13   #2

Length: 5m +
HI it is the same here as UK , we do the RYA exams. IF you are coming down the coast from Nortern Ireland the radio areas are , Carlingford ch.04 and16
Dublin ch. 83 and 16 , Wicklow radio ch 87 and 16 , Rosslare radio ch 23 and 16 , Mine head radio ch 83 and16 , cork radio ch 26 and 16, thats as much as you need , if you are going to Kilmore ,Rosslare radio is the area
Old 17 March 2008, 12:53   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Hi Paul,

Good day for an Irish interest post - Happy St. Patrick's Day!

That sounds like a great cruise, you've got the right boat for the job, is she calling to see Her Maker at Cushendall? The Irish CG will be happy to record a TR for you but won't (officially) take any action if you fail to report in. Unofficially, they're not in the busiest shipping area in the world and will probably keep a weather eye on you if things get sporty. I think you'll be dealing with the same Control Centre for the Southern leg of the trip.

A Secret Revealed: Only visitors actually call it Eire! Despite plastering it all over our Passports, Stamps and Coinage, we sneakily call home Ireland (when we're at home), Republic of Ireland (when we're not) or The South (when we're in The North). oh, and Eireann (when we're talking "as Gaelige").

There's a really good pub in K.Quay (up street on right, name anyone?) that does a wicked seafood platter and serves A1 Guinness - not to be missed.

Best of Luck in the Eireish Sea!
Old 17 March 2008, 20:37   #4

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Ireland then it is

Hi guys
Willk - St Patricks day that is great I had'nt realised.
So Ireland it will be called.
Thanks for that info.
The boat will indeed come from its maker, it will be 'just made' when I pick it up. will do 20 hrs in 'the North' and on West Coast of Scotland and then revisit Cushedall for first service and any obvious warranty work. Then off down south. To Kilmore Quay. Then Kilmore Quay to Padstow.
Davis - thanks for those channel numbers and radio info.
Nearer the time I will have to see who is out and about that we could meet up with.
cheers Paul
Old 17 March 2008, 21:41   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
20 hrs - you'll be busier than P&O! That bad puppy will make a safe haven in Scotland in 1.5 hours from Cushendall - I envy you the trip... Consider a leg back via Donegal (Greencastle 40Nm from Port Ellen,Islay) and Rathlin - Malin Head CG ch23 & friendly waters!

A Tip: Don't eat too large a lunch in Harry's before Tom takes you for the intro launch. He can make a skua lose it's breakfast......