Old 20 August 2016, 18:56   #1

Length: 4m +
crewsaver phase 2 drysuit

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has tried these? , i'm either going for a crewsaver phase 2 drysuit or might stretch to a Musto MPX but wondering if the extra ££ will be worth it . Spotted a few HPX deals but think thats overkill at this stage.

Advise welcome.

Thanks
D
Old 20 August 2016, 20:04   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Never seen the crewsavers, but if you are in the market for a drysuit, have a look at Typhoon. U.K. Made & based in the North East, great service.

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2016, 20:18   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Try sealskin aqualand in Leeds
Old 21 August 2016, 07:26   #4

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
+1 for typhoon I cant get away with latex neck seals but my typhoon with double neoprene is great very comfortable good quality and the hinged design makes it an easy climb in and out of

Call us

+44 (0)1642 486104
sales@typhoon-int.co.uk

Size

Multisport Hinge (Inc Con Zip) Orange/Black

Product Code: 100152

An evolution of the hugely successful Multisport 4, this new addition to the collection stays true to its core by being a high performance, versatile and robust orientated drysuit. As the name suggests the revolutionary hinged entry system has been incorporated into the suit making it incredibly easy to self-don, whilst providing unrivalled freedom of movement.
Colour/Size Options

Orange,S,Sm,M,MB,LM,L,LB,XL,XXL,MTM

Features

• Breathable Quadply Fabric
  • Hinged Zip entry system
  • External neoprene waist band with adjustment
  • Fabric socks
  • Dry neoprene Neck Seal for added comfort
  • Latex Wrist seals
  • Wrist and ankle covers
  • Cordura reinforced, seat and knee pads
  • Internal braces
  • Covered PU Con zip fitted as standard
  • Platsic Aquaseal Zip
  • Thigh mounted cargo pocket
  • Braces and buckles
  • Reflective taping on the shoulders and cuff
  • 3 year workmanship warranty

© 2016 Typhoon International Limited
Limerick Road, Redcar, Cleveland, TS10 5JU
Tel. +44 (0)1642 486104 | Email. sales@typhoon-int.co.uk
Old 21 August 2016, 07:36   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Unless the weather really is really grim or I'm on the rescue boat (where I may end up in the water) I've stopped using a dry suit.

I have a set of Palm dry trousers which can be coupled with a range of tops. I have the matching dry top, an offshore coat, an inshore coat or a gillet.

Gives loads more options and dry suits are really for in the water, the combination with the offshore coat is the preferred but the dry cag is great if really wet.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 08:20   #6

+2 for Typhoon.
I have the Max B and use it for the RIB and dinghy sailing. Dry, comfortable and breathable. I usually carry a mask & snorkel on the rib and quite often drop over the side - Max B keeps me dry even after 20 or 30 mins bobbing about.
Old 21 August 2016, 08:49   #7

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Engine: Mercury 75
+3 for the typhoon.

I have the Ezeedon, and use it on the rib, sib, kayak and even on the stand up paddle board.

Another bit of advice, is go to a local stockist first and try on, as different companies have obscure sizing.
Old 21 August 2016, 11:40   #8

Cheers guys , looks like the typhoon then ha! , just need to pick the correct one tho as there seems to be a fair amount of options .
Old 21 August 2016, 11:57   #9

RIBase
crewsaver phase 2 drysuit

Go for a front loader, that way you can zip yourself in & out un-aided. Personally I'd also go for neoprene seals & fabric feet.

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 21 August 2016, 12:14   #10

The Typhoon PS220 looks very nice and the YT review great , would you boil alive in the summer tho ? and would this be overkill .
Old 21 August 2016, 12:29   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss_uk View Post
The Typhoon PS220 looks very nice and the YT review great , would you boil alive in the summer tho ? and would this be overkill .

Horses for courses. Currently in France& our boat gear consists of shorts, flip flops, & an old goretex outer. If doing a long passage In dodgy weather, then the dry bags come out.

Lions led by donkeys
Old 21 August 2016, 12:57   #12

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
The Typhoon PS220 looks very nice and the YT review great , would you boil alive in the summer tho ?
Yes, you need to layer under a membrane suit to keep warm, but they are horrible if you need to cool down - getting in the water or take them off is about it - using them half open is not a good idea in my world.

Quote:
and would this be overkill .
Again I believe so - why are you thinking dry suit? They were designed for being in water, waterproofs, dry trousers, dry tops, off shore coats give you plenty of options to keep warm and dry.

Are you looking at lots of winter passages?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 13:50   #13

Thanks for the info , i was simply thinking a drysuit would cover both summer and colder use rather than buying just a wetsuit tbh , not planning on going in the water much or winter stuff until i build experience , only time i will enter water would be to launch the boat and if i'm ever tossed over the side ( hopefully not ) . I was hoping the drysuit would work out well rather than buying other stuff to then purchase a DS further down the line etc.

Agreed regards having them open in summer ( DS ) , surely thats a bit deadly should you fall in?

I don't mind being hot and prefer being covered up from the burning sun , as long as the DS is actually breathable material rather than a lie , i guess if it became uncomfortable one could jump in the water ha!

Currently we have a 4m honwave to get started , we have a river cruiser and these are our first ventures onto the seas so not a total novice to boating , i'll purchase a RIB ( Redbay ) next year all being well .
Old 21 August 2016, 15:23   #14

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
dry trousers are good for keeping dry too. launching /recovery ect I have a pair of peak storm that I use when its hot weather you can wade up to your titties and keep dry and just wear a t shirt I take a short orange hi vis jacket ( £20) to chuck on if the weather changes .I wear my drysuit if there's a chance of it getting a bit choppy and its maybe a bit cold
Old 21 August 2016, 15:54   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Very seldom is it too hot in this country for a dry suit if hot jump in the oggin to cool park up unzip and take it off a bit, for me especially in these waters a must IMO it doesn't take long before your incapacitated in cold water that's if the shock doesn't get to you first,everyone to their own but think of the worst case scenario especially boating alone.
Old 21 August 2016, 16:17   #16

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Engine: Mercury 75
All the above advice is sound advice. And only you can decide if a DS is best for you. It is like the age old question, 'which boat is best for me?' Only you can decide.

If you are not planning on using in winter, or boating alone, or venturing too far from land, then it may be slightly over kill. I have a pair of £20 chest waders for launch and recovery, works a treat. easy to slip off, so not to get launch vehicle wet. DS for launching is a bit overkill.

I have built up my gear over the years, and still keep adding to it all the time. What I wear, all depends on time of year, sea temperature, weather conditions, where I am going, what activity I am doing, etc etc etc...!

As PD said above, front loader is a must, the glide skin seals (neoprene) are really comfortable compared to latex, and the fabric feet last longer.
Old 21 August 2016, 16:25   #17

RIBase
I've seen people dressed in £1k's worth of Musto gear piss wet through after a lumpy crossing. Water will find its way into necks, sleeves, ankles etc. Never been wet in my £300 drysuit.

Lions led by donkeys
Old 21 August 2016, 16:43   #18

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
Drysuit all the way for harsher weather conditions.

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 16:06   #19

Thanks for the valuable info chaps , i'll have a ponder on the various points above .

Cheers
Old 23 August 2016, 19:24   #20

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
I know it's not Scotland but I spent a large part of 2012 in Weymouth on the water up to 35+ kts (Force 6-7+) with lows around 7 celsius. A lot of the time (5 days a week) on a 5.8m dry rib I would wear a dry top smock over breathable 3-layer gore-tex trousers or salopettes with very good comfy boots. Can't say I had much issues except when I had to pull up anchor lines for racing marks and sometimes I would submerge my arm elbow deep to grab the line but even then it wasn't terrible.

The top is the key to good protection from water as there are many many ways for it to enter and that's why I prefer a dry smock.

I think I would go insane if I had to wear a one piece dry suit all the time, weather and temps are always changing and I'm either adding or removing layers. I have never fallen in the water (knock on wood) but I also would never unzip a one piece dry suit to vent while on the water, if you fell in it would be sheer disaster let alone any water that came into your suit while on the rib, good luck getting it out.

As posted earlier and very true, you can wear the most expensive high end kit possible but if the seals (neck, chest....etc) are open or leak then you will open yourself to an unpleasant experience when spray, rain or waves come. Some of the worst experiences I've had just came from hours of light cold drizzle trying to drip into your suit.

Make sure you do your research/homework on the shell material if it's not official name brand 3 layer Gore-Tex. Their are a lot of knock-off breathable fabrics that look tough, some good but a lot are not up to par; they either don't breathe well or not up to the abuse and start to delam and break down quickly but it will take a year or so to do so.

Having a good dry suit is key, there are many good ones out there that come out of the kayaking world and sailing world. I love my Musto MPX and worth every penny but now rarely ever use it.