Old 17 July 2006, 14:43   #21

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Hawk
Make: Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x 250 Yamahas
Cowes

RichardB

Yes, all Marshall boat drivers will be required to sign in, then they will be covered for damage from Race boats and third party liability under the event insurance.

Andrew
Old 17 July 2006, 14:52   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
That's good - it's one of the most important things IMvHO.

Anyway, I think you are sensible in being up-front about there being no expenses - as you know, last year's false promises upset a lot of people. You are, however, wrong about it it being "normal" not to offer expenses. If you are placed on a distant mark, the petrol use can be significant, and even more so if one or more race boats requires a tow back to the pits. Add rough weather to the equation (you may need to keep moving) and the fuel use will increase!

Thanks for the PMs, but you didn't answer my earlier question
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2006, 15:05   #23

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Richard

When I meant sponsorship I meant large sponsorship, as Raymarines Article only references to equipment on 8 of the boats.

Simon
Old 17 July 2006, 20:22   #24

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Richard;s question regarding insurance is a valid one. Unfortunately the marshalling for the recent Volvo race was not well organised. We were hit by a fellow marshall boat during the day causing over £1,000 of damage to the tubes and glass fibre. The marshall told us that he was not insured, then subsequently denied responsibility. To date neither the organiser (Richard Saloman) or Volvo have coughed up for the repair.

We have given up a lot of time in the past to marshall for a couple of events, but this leaves a sour taste. Never again I'm afraid

Ian
Old 17 July 2006, 21:08   #25
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
yer right please tell me this is the new joke thread.

And i guess you are not making any money on your rib then?

we all want to watch the racing not work for nothing.
Old 17 July 2006, 21:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
Never again I'm afraid
Ian - sorry to hear about that. This is exactly the reason I didn't do the Volvo... after the Fleet Review, in which we were all vulnerable to this sort of issue, and for some people that vulnerability was realised.

Events with RYA insurance cover are a completely different affair, and I would expect that you would be much better covered on the Cowes Powerboat Week, although I don't know how a "marshall-on-marshall" incident is covered! It's a pity that you're now saying "never again" after one bad experience.
Old 17 July 2006, 21:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
It's a pity that you're now saying "never again" after one bad experience.
It is indeed a pity. Not only was it a bad experience, but an expensive one for Martin as well. I think it's a shame that the organisers of the Volvo event didn't look after us volunteers, but I guess you only discover this when it's too late!

I trust that the organiser of this event will explain what is, and more to the point, what isn't covered insurance wise to the marshalls when they sign on.

Regards

Ian
Old 17 July 2006, 22:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
I trust that the organiser of this event will explain what is, and more to the point, what isn't covered insurance wise to the marshalls when they sign on.
From memory, I believe Andrew's post at the top of this page covers this quite concisely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewN
all Marshall boat drivers will be required to sign in, then they will be covered for damage from Race boats and third party liability under the event insurance.
Anyone participating will, however, need to sign on every morning if I remember correctly.
Old 17 July 2006, 22:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
From memory, I believe Andrew's post at the top of this page covers this quite concisely.
I think you are right. However, we thought we were covered by third party liability, so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask As you say, signing on is probably the important factor in all this.
Old 18 July 2006, 08:37   #30

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
Andrew, Why do you consider this normal? Based on the terms you are suggesting I am surprised that you have got anything more than a handful of boats to help you.

Many of these events tend to have large entry fees £150+ and its a shame that these commercial event management companies or charitable class associations expect RIB owners to pitch up and spend a lot of money and get treated like dirt by the competitors for no re-imbursement. I suspect a lot of the money from these events goes back into the coffers of the organisers.

NORMALLY event organisers at the very least cover boat fuel.

Chris
I would like to take issue with those remarks - first and foremost as a competitor I would like to know where you get the idea that we treat safety crews like dirt? Are you linking us to what happened in Cowes last year? I only know of Ramsgate as a Powerboat racing event that compensates crews - I know because I pay to bring both the race and a safety boats to as many venues as possible!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2006, 09:49   #31
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
I would like to take issue with those remarks - first and foremost as a competitor I would like to know where you get the idea that we treat safety crews like dirt? Are you linking us to what happened in Cowes last year? I only know of Ramsgate as a Powerboat racing event that compensates crews - I know because I pay to bring both the race and a safety boats to as many venues as possible!
Unfortunately I have been treated like dirt by competitors at the Class 1 Powerboats, Great River Race (Rowing), Int Fleet Review (the spectators) and the Laser ladder. Obviously this is only a very small number of events but it does illustrate the type of problems safety boat crews come up against. I am sorry if you took offence at my post Cookee. It wasn't aimed at you just a general observation from a minority of people at a wide variety of events.

With regard to insurance I normally insist that the event we support has its own public liability insurance for external accidents and then I have my own fully comp boat policy ammended to allow safety cover as an activity. The participants should also be insured to take part in the event.

Chris
Old 24 August 2006, 02:24   #32

Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Are the event organisers (is it KBL again?) doing it for the love of the sport?
After the weekend, I am coming back to post here!!!