Old 14 July 2004, 16:11   #21

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Champagne Eyes!!!!
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
It sounds like another beernet night out!

I will find out times etc and possible luanch/meeting points for none locals

Regards

Graham
Old 14 July 2004, 16:42   #22

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Might seem a bit obvious, but where do the Fireworks get launched from and where will be. I should imgaine my tubes don't like Firework sparks.

Only ask because I had an accident with fireworks once, and I thought it would never happen to me !!!
Old 14 July 2004, 17:02   #23

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
on the port side as you enter cowes before the mooring buoys . A barge is used a few hundred yard outside the mooring buoys. Most will used the mooring buoys - if you can get one.

\P
Old 27 July 2004, 16:44   #24

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
I need to give the Rib a taste of salt water this summer so have got a weeks mooring on the Beaulieu River during Cowes week.
Am planning also to go for the fireworks at Cowes on Fri night 13th and would like to hang out with other Ribs during what seems a dangerous time at night with lots of drunks around.
If anyone's heading back Beaulieu way after the fireworks would appreciate the company getting back as also have never been out at night before.
Old 27 July 2004, 16:59   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Cowes

Hi

I am planning on coming along to the fireworks, going you lauch at Lee on Solent and blast across, unfortunatly I will only be in a 3.6 Avon Sea Sport, so shouls be a bit lively. I will follow this thread down to see where people are meeting up and hopefully see some fellow Ribnetters and put a face to people.
Old 29 July 2004, 19:15   #26
QHM

Cowes Firworks - sanity check

Whilst I applaud the courage of those thinking of spending their first night at sea underway during Cowes Fireworks, How wise an idea actually is it?

I would hate to be thought of as a killjoy but the Solent at night can be confusing enough normally and when one adds the complications of unlit vessels being driven by lots of confused people let alone all the lights from properly lit vessels being driven too fast the risks mount up.

If you do still want to give it a go then give yourself a fighting chance.

First check your own gear and lights and emergency lights (torch), whistle, GPS, VHF and so on.

Then make a really good passage plan - work out how you are going to navigate - following the GPS is not enough, you need calculated tracks with the buoys you are going to pass marked and dangers highlighted.

Rehearse the passage in your mind thinking about each buoy, mark and light you will see.

Then go out and rehearse the passage in daytime, followed by giving it a go on a quiet night. Ideally take an experienced friend in another RIB to follow you and help if it goes wrong.

Do not rely on GPS alone - you need to maintain a good lookout and slow down when things do not seem right, stop if need be and sort it out before proceeding.

There is lots more advice I could offer but an RYA course will teach you even more.

Good luck and enjoy Cowes Week.

All the best
Tom Herman
QHM Portsmouth
Old 29 July 2004, 19:36   #27

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Tom is quite right. The Solent is not the best of places to be in the dark at quiet times not alone cowes fireworkd for those of you who have not had much night navigation. You cant point and shoot at night as their are lots of special marks ie yellow racing buoys which have no navigational purpose and are therefore not lit.

On cowes firework night add about thousand vessells in the solent many of which will be travelling at speed with the crew no doubt being under the influence of alchohol and showing no naviagtional lights.

If you are going to go then prepare a passage plan carefully before you leave then punch the waypoints of the plan into the GPS.

Do come over as it is good fun but be careful.

Simon Hawkins
Old 30 July 2004, 03:09   #28

Town: stanmore
Boat name: zippy
Make: zodiac pro 550
Length: 5.5
Engine: 90hp
Two excellent pieces of advice there chaps,
never underestimate the power of darkness to confuse , even when you have made a plan.

safe journey everyone

Alistair
Old 30 July 2004, 05:50   #29

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Timw - we'll be heading back in your direction. We can stick together - we always look after our buddies. The Beaulieu River isn't on to get wrong unless you want to spend the night on the sand spit!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2004, 07:42   #30
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
If anyone would like to do some night work prior to Cowes week fireworks just give me a call.
Regards
Stuart
Old 30 July 2004, 09:13   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Timw - we'll be heading back in your direction. We can stick together - we always look after our buddies. The Beaulieu River isn't on to get wrong unless you want to spend the night on the sand spit!
Richard B...Thank you for your kind message.

After reading QHM's excellent cautionary advice on night navigation in the Solent (especially during Cowes Fireworks night) I am wondering if I'm up to night navigation. (My one and only time was last night at 11pm down the Thames which was pretty easy but obviously completly different from the Solent)

As such, I am still planning to have the boat on the Solent during Cowes week, but will need to think about the night of Friday 13th. I guess even going up the Beaulieu River in the dark ain't going to be easy.

I shall keep montitoring this thread and maybe send you a message nearer the time if I'm going to go. If I do a friend of mine who does have night experience will come as well.

Many thanks and if anyone is attending from the Beaulieu river that would be good to know.
Old 30 July 2004, 09:41   #32

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
I hope you all have a good time, wish i could make it !!!

Just a quick question, please can some one take some photos and pop them onto the site so i can see what a brill weekend i have missed.
Old 30 July 2004, 10:59   #33

Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
I really dont want to sound like a killjoy here either as this is a top evening and very satisfying for the cox when you have pulled it off without incident.

However I have seen many incidents over the years, and some very close to effecting my boat and passengers.

QHM is totally correct, its mad around Cowes on this evening and the passage back to Portsmouth every year is like running a minefield. Unlit boats travelling in all directions at high speed!! If you are lucky some may have chemical light sticks on them!!!! but no lights, it's terrible.

When at Cowes you have to drop anchor so you can view the fireworks, motoring about all night is a bad option, you can't watch the fireworks and cox a boat, all in the dark easily. This is usually done in a W-E or E-W running tide. As there are hundreds of boats, knowing where to drop and run your anchor rope from can be tricky. By the time you have laid out rope and the anchor is firm you may not be where you expect. In fact you may be ontop of other boats. Then at the end there is a mad rush to recover anchors. Last year many people overlaid ropes and they all got in a tangle and in a tide its a mess. I have also seen ropes around props etc ... In addition large motor cruisers etc jolly about in-between all the smaller boats thinking they own the sea. Some every year barge there way about pushing into small gaps and expecting you to move. Just because people have big boats does not mean they are good boat handlers ... often they are not, just have not spent the hours at the helm and certainly not in these conditions.

I would add to QHMs advice and suggest you check and prep your ropes and anchor well before you get there (they should always be ready but many people don't check them before every trip and they can get into a mess over time). Also if you have not dropped & recovered an anchor in strong tide, practice that get there early so you are not rushed and if you wait for a while after the event boats clear quickly which will make your job easier. Dropping & recovering an anchor in moving water, is a 2 man job at least, if not 3. It's a real pull, even if you do drive up the rope against the tide!! The team needs to have practiced together and know what they are doing.

All passengers should have lifejackets. They need stobes, lights or checmical lightsticks attached to them. It's very hard to locate a man overboard in the dark. Whistles are helpfull but lights are mandatory in the dark. the boat cox also needs a strong search light if a person in the water does needs to be found. Brief the crew well on

My final advice is also based on experience. If there are a two of you in convoy expect to loose each other. I have never managed to stay with another boat on the return trip home in many years of going to this event. At home time there is just too much boat movement and each cox is so busy looking after themselves that they loose each other. In the dark its easy. And so each boat must be coxed by somebody that is experienced in the conditions. Don't think an inexperienced cox is safe if his mate in the other boat knows what he is doing ... as the inexperienced cox will most likely end up on his own to fend for himself.

Think very hard about your experience before you take this on. As QHM said prior planning and practice is a MUST however so is experience, and if you don't have it at night this is not the trip to learn on.

I will be leaving from Portmouth is anybody wants company getting there. However plan for a solo passage back, as described above. Will also fly the RIBnet burgee!!

Have fun!!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2004, 13:21   #34

After that advice...I'm not going!

Will stick to daylight solent ribbing and Red Funnel at night.

(Richard B..thanks for your offer of accompanyment anyway)
Old 30 July 2004, 14:24   #35

Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
TimW, sorry I did not mean to put you off, just telling it as I have seen it. However I think you are right, if you are not self sufficient, best to wait until you are.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2004, 16:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
TimW, sorry I did not mean to put you off, just telling it as I have seen it. However I think you are right, if you are not self sufficient, best to wait until you are.
Andy, you are absolutly right. I don't mind venturing out for a bit of night nav exercises at a quiet time...but combining nighttime inexperience with the madness of Cowes fireworks sound like a disaster waiting to happen.

As it happens out on the Thames in the dark last night I couldn't understand why this ship hadn't seen me and didn't alter course until I realised it was HMS Belfast, so a few training exercises might be in order.
Old 31 July 2004, 09:15   #37

Town: Hemel Hempstead
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.1
Engine: inbord diesel 300hp
Have been to firework many times, it is a great night not to be missed.I will be their gest off the beach (blue scorpion TYPHOON) so you get the music as well as a good spot to watch.
Take plenty to eat and drink (not alcoholic) get their 9.00 ish when still light
when is all over stay their for 1 hour and watch all the other nutters go by then it will not be to bad for a safe trip home. Hope everybody has a good and safe time