Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Ramming speed
Only in your boat

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2007, 21:10   #22

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
The Cowes Harbour authority can be reached at:-

chc@cowes.co.uk

Below is a copy of the mail I have just sent them.

++++++++

Dear Sirs

During a regular visit to The Folly Inn on Saturday the 2nd June in our 6.5M RIB, myself and my family were stopped at the entrance to Cowes harbour by a Harbour Authority officer in a large Yellow RIB.
We were politely asked to keep an eye on our speed and glance back occasionally to check our wake, a reasonable request, and something we always make every effort to do.

However on moving on up river I was distressed to notice that all RIBs were being stopped, whilst large motor cruisers travelling in excess of the speed limit and causing a large wash were allowed to pass with no interest from the officer. On discussing the situation with various friends who also on the water that day they were all stopped by the officer in their RIBs. Many noted the same situation with regard to RIBs being targeted and other harbour users seemingly allowed to flout the speed limit and wake monitoring by the officer.

Has a policy decision been made to target RIB users in this way?
Was the officer acting on instruction to target RIB users, or on his own initiative?
Has any RIB owners group been consulted in respect of any policy decision?

I understand that the increase in RIB ownership can bring with it an element of less considerate users, but am concerned that we are targeted in this way and all tarred with the same brush.

I'm sure you understand that the occasional interaction with the Harbour Authorities can only be seen as a good thing by the likes of myself and my family, but being targeted in this way was a sour point in an otherwise glorious days boating.

I look forward to your comments.

Yours Faithfully.

++++++++++

At this stage I have not informed them of the public nature of this discussion and request, but will ask their permission to publish their answer when I receive it.

Nasher.
Old 04 June 2007, 21:43   #23
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Copied from MBY forum: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...1/fpart/3/vc/1

Looks like someone got a bit annoyed:

There's a 5 knot limit here! At about 0900 hrs Saturday a big grey Rib with a Radar arch came through at close to 25 knots!

We went to Priory bay today and I have come to the conclusion that there are Sailing boats, Motor Cruisers, Jet Skis AND effing idiots in RIBs'!

Why do they have to go at 25 knots plus through the anchorages? Jet skis are nothing compared and fun to watch playing in your wake.

_____

Was that rib called Nemo? It was back and forth all day at speeds far exceeding 5knots, usually planning.

James
Old 04 June 2007, 21:58   #24

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
Well we've had it in Scotland, had abuse hurled at us because we disturbing some children learning to row, we were doing 5 knots in a large bay, just in gear with the 4 blade prop

And in the menai straights got waved over to slow down even though we were within the speed limit whilst witnessing a large sports cruiser fly past at 15+ knots.
Old 04 June 2007, 22:16   #25

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
I followed my father across who was in a motor cruiser on sat, we were doing the speed limit through the water into cowes and up the medina, against the tide (i would assume? - this was about 3pm) it was obvious by the distance i was from the side of the boat who i was with! and although the guy in the dodgy colour scheme rib was eyeballing us he didn't come across. (there were lots of yachts in the way anyway) But we both did shut down well beyond the speed limit into the entrance, which i think he noted considering it was pretty busy.

Coming out of portsmouth harbour about half 2 on sat - did anyone else notice the sunseeker doing about 18knots weaving in and out of everything? i had to laugh... but the people in yachts weren't!
Old 04 June 2007, 22:28   #26

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
This is something that I commented on two years ago. Both at Chi Harbour Entrance and Cowes entrance. Sorry if I started the ball rolling, but I did say to one Harbour Master Hitler why pick on me when the Motor Cruisers are all going faster than me and causing much more of a wake. He didn't say anything other than don't do it again. My mate did say that I should have pushed him in the water. That would have been a laugh.
A lot of these people are volunteers with a little bit of authority that they can't get anywhere else whether it be in their personal life or in their crappy little day job so they make the most of it when doing the volunteer harbour Master job. Trouble is its very hard to say anything against them. Might be worth taking some video footage of other boat users to back your case up when you make a complaint. Maybe all the Solent RIBbers could spend half an hour each over the next few weekends monitoring traffic use and seeing how the Harbour Authorities deal with it at Cowes !
Old 05 June 2007, 08:44   #27

Make: extreme 24
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
one more thing i could never work out is in chichester harbour they have those saily dingy racing things,now i have seen them at speeds of up to 20mph or so, how come they are aloud to do that.....................ive fallen out with the commitee boat once or twice before aswell...............any answers
Old 05 June 2007, 08:49   #28

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
I have been watching the above thread with interest. I will say as being a Cowes resident also heavily involved with the lifeboat, that their has been problems over the last two weeks with regards to pontoons being damaged from wakes of boats. Although the wake may seem small off the back of your boat, with the wind direction being as it has beenfor the last couple of weeks this wake increases in size.

I wouldalso like to point out that all the Harbour Commission staff are full time. I cannot comment on why only RIBs are targeted, but it is very difficult to control all of the traffic coming into the harbour.

Simon
Old 05 June 2007, 12:09   #29
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Maybe all the Solent RIBbers could spend half an hour each over the next few weekends monitoring traffic use and seeing how the Harbour Authorities deal with it at Cowes !
Alternatively we could just get over ourselves and not worry about it too much!

Why not just make sure we're sticking to the limits and keeping an eye on our wakes. Then if you get waved at, wave back cheerily. If you get pulled over you have the satisfaction of knowing that you've got the moral high ground - give them a bit of a listening to then go on your way. I know they're a pain in the arse at times, but it's not really a big deal is it?

John
Old 05 June 2007, 12:14   #30

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Alternatively we could just get over ourselves and not worry about it too much!

Why not just make sure we're sticking to the limits and keeping an eye on our wakes. Then if you get waved at, wave back cheerily. If you get pulled over you have the satisfaction of knowing that you've got the moral high ground - give them a bit of a listening to then go on your way. I know they're a pain in the arse at times, but it's not really a big deal is it?

John

couldn't agree more - as for filming it?!?! next thing everyone will be wearing armbands in demonstration! Boating's for pleasure after all isn't it?!
Old 05 June 2007, 12:20   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
one more thing i could never work out is in chichester harbour they have those saily dingy racing things,now i have seen them at speeds of up to 20mph or so, how come they are aloud to do that.....................ive fallen out with the commitee boat once or twice before aswell...............any answers
Yep, I looked into this a while back. The speed limit only applies to "power-driven" vessels. It's all here: http://www.conservancy.co.uk/uploads...CHCByelaws.pdf

Byelaw 5
The master of any power-driven vessel shall not, subject to the requirements of maintaining adequate steerage way and control, suffer or cause her to be navigated or driven in the harbour at a speed exceeding eight knots through, on or over the water, unless the consent in writing of the Harbourmaster has previously been obtained. Provided that this byelaw shall not apply to any vessel on any occasion when it is being used for Conservancy, police, fire-fighting or rescue operations in circumstances where such speed limit would be likely to hinder the use of the vessel for the purpose for which it was being used on that occasion.

I suspect that it was drafted before the invention of asymmetric dinghies and International Moths.

You could probably get them under Byelaw 6 though if they annoy you:

Byelaw 6
The master of a vessel navigating the harbour shall navigate the vessel with care and caution and in such manner as shall not cause annoyance to the occupants of any other vessel or cause damage or danger to any other vessel or to any moorings or other property

John
Old 05 June 2007, 12:49   #32

"subject to the requirements of maintaining adequate steerage way and control"

Thats interesting, I wonder if the same wording applies to Cowes.

Dependant on how the tide is running I sometimes find it hard to maintain a speed as low as 6knots, as when it goes into gear my RIB is doing 5Knots. I only need the current running at 2Knots and I'm in and out of gear all the time, which of course means I may not have adequate steerage way and control.

Nasher
Old 05 June 2007, 13:29   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I wonder if the same wording applies to Cowes.
Google is your friend

http://www.cowes.co.uk/d/Harbour%20Byelaws.pdf

Byelaw 12
Every mechanically propelled vessel navigating the Harbour or Roads shall, unless otherwise authorised by the Harbour Master in writing, be navigated at a speed not exceeding 6 knots over the ground and in a manner which shall not endanger the safety of other vessels boats or property or cause damage thereto.

Every such vessel shall reduce speed as necessary in the observance of the normal practice of safe seamanship when passing mooring trots, boats alongside wharves, jetties, pontoons, vessels engaged in maritime works or in any other circumstances which could endanger the safety of other persons vessels boats or properties or cause damage thereto.

John
Old 05 June 2007, 13:33   #34

Nasher,

Heres an idea if you think your having problems. Because Cowes is so busy why not tuck in behind a motor cruiser and keep your wake inside his.

NR.
Old 05 June 2007, 14:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Google is your friend

John
Any Friend of Codprawns is a friend of mine

Nick
I'm not having trouble as such, was just annoyed they were only picking on RIBs.

Not had an answer to my mail yet.

Nasher.
Old 05 June 2007, 14:48   #36

I hope this isn't the thin end of a wedge. If RIBs end being hated as much as Jetskis we are going to end up being banned from many places.
I suspect this subject matter is brought up at many Sailing Club and Marina meetings where the clientel have the ear of the local Harbour Master. Its a good job Harbour Masters tend to use RIBs for their work or we would definately be on a sticky wicket.
I haven't had any problems this year yet but its getting near to 'Silly Season' and all the fair weather boaters are out now so things are going to definately get more interesting. Makes me wish it was mid week in February again. Had the Solent to myself then.
Old 05 June 2007, 15:06   #37

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Maybe we should all be super careful for a while??

I think the idea of tucking in behind a Gin Palace is a good one!

Particularly those going to the IOW festival on Saturday and Sunday should watch out since they will be 'quite relaxed' for the run back down to Cowes and there will be nothing else for them to do that late at night!!

Tony
Old 05 June 2007, 15:09   #38

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Google

Did anyone else google codprawn??

Does this item belong to anyone!
Old 05 June 2007, 15:10   #39

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
I hope this isn't the thin end of a wedge. If RIBs end being hated as much as Jetskis we are going to end up being banned from many places.
What do you expect when you make comments like the following on a public forum? If any harbour master, (or their friends,) read this forum, then they are going to be even more anti-rib..

Quote:
My mate did say that I should have pushed him in the water. That would have been a laugh.
A lot of these people are volunteers with a little bit of authority that they can't get anywhere else whether it be in their personal life or in their crappy little day job so they make the most of it when doing the volunteer harbour Master job. Trouble is its very hard to say anything against them.
Old 05 June 2007, 15:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABS View Post
Maybe we should all be super careful for a while??

Tony
Me thinks so too. I like visiting Cowes in my RIB.

Also I think people should be aware that for boats parking in Cowes Town short stay berth, next to the Red Funnel Jet Ferry pickup, tickets are now being issued to boats that are parked up and vacant. I have paid five pounds and four pounds on various occasions. But have made an effort to pay my dues. I usually call the Harbour Master up on the Radio and hand the dues to him.

The less we do to upset the Harbour Master the better.

NR.