Old 29 May 2012, 18:45   #1

Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
Cover wanted for moored Rib

Hi, My Rib is kept on a trot mooring all summer and gets peppered with Seagul Guano . Can anyone recommend a supplier for a lightweight summer cover that could be easily put on whilst afloat and be high enough at the rear to cover my A frame and outboard??? My Rib is an Avon 5.6m with a 90 hp 4s Merc outboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4064570.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	68649  
Old 29 May 2012, 19:25   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Anything other than a decent custom made cover will be a PITA. Putting a cover on on the water is no mean feat and if it blows off, it'll be a nightmare.
The Ebay 'fits where it touches' jobs are ok on a trailer as you can use the under hull straps, on a mooring, I doubt if you'd keep it on.
Old 29 May 2012, 20:01   #3

Town: Exeter
Make: Avon Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 4-stroke
I've got one of the cheap ones on my sr4.7 on swinging mooring - it was fine all last year, however it is a PITA to put on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2412526761.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	68650  
Old 29 May 2012, 20:39   #4

Town: Devon
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Engine: 90
I use a £5 tarp from screwfix, cut to shape, tape edges with duck tape, put in eyelets, and bungee cord with plastic hooks to attach to grab line D rings.
Lasts a season fine. I accept doesn't look beautiful but avoids the seagull poo on the boat and (I think) deters thieves because it makes the rib look less attractive on the swinging mooring
Old 29 May 2012, 21:37   #5

Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Stone View Post
I use a £5 tarp from screwfix, cut to shape, tape edges with duck tape, put in eyelets, and bungee cord with plastic hooks to attach to grab line D rings.
Lasts a season fine. I accept doesn't look beautiful but avoids the seagull poo on the boat and (I think) deters thieves because it makes the rib look less attractive on the swinging mooring
hi guys, Eddy, your idea has its merits. The last point is a very valid one, it might even deter seagulls if it is flapping about, rather than a nice tight fitting cover which is easier to come to rest on!
It really has been disheartening this past two months to arrive with the intention of a nice day out on the water only to have to spend the first hour or more scrubbing and scraping sh1te off the boat before setting off. Although it is generally amusing for others in the harbour area it aint my idea of fun, or my partners!