Old 28 June 2006, 16:10   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
Cover on or off when towing?

Do you reckon there is any or no advantage to towing with the boat cover on?

I've always worked on the principle that towing long distance, the cover makes the boat more 'aerodynamic'. Should I be bothered?

Thanks
Old 28 June 2006, 16:41   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I leave it on because it stops things flying out. On a wet day it keeps all the mucky road spray off the the inside of the boat. And my other worry is some kn_b drobbing a cig in the boat when stuck at traffic lights etc.
With regards the last one maybe a worry a bit too much but this country is full of d_cks.
Old 28 June 2006, 16:54   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Unless it's a very, very well fitting cover I'd leave it off. It amazes me how the flow of air at 50mph manages to find the slightest unfastened edge and play havoc. I've towed sailing dinghies where a tightly lashed main has starting flapping and unravelling.Maybe I lack a little prowess with a piece of string.
Old 28 June 2006, 16:57   #4

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers
I've towed sailing dinghies where a tightly lashed man has starting flapping and unravelling.
I don't blame him..
Old 28 June 2006, 16:58   #5

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Proper Job
Make: Explorer Marine
Engine: 90hp Merc outboard
the advice from the guys that built my boat was to leave the cover off especially when towing any distance as any chafing (wince) could potentially start to damage the tubes.
i do however have a very close-fitting console cover to protect the electronics etc from the elements and sticky fingers etc

pete
Old 28 June 2006, 17:44   #6

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
If you are towing under about 30 miles @ under 50mph then I would leave cover on providing it is strapped down tight. Anything else, take it off. Chafing to both hull, tubes and cover itself is a serious problem.
Old 28 June 2006, 18:22   #7

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
I left my cover off the boat in the car park for a couple of hours and went on to drive for a few more through Scotland a typical rainy day.

Boat is normally very light and not a problem to tow. Had a near miss when ABS kicked in and took about 4x my normal stopping distance- put it down to my bad driving or diesel on the road.

It was shortly afterwards, when I started driving up 'rest and be thankful' that I realised that the boat might be the problem- a requirement for 1st gear isn't normal even with 3 passengers and the boat.

Stopped and found the boat awash with 4-5 inches of water- 400-500kg of water in a 200kg boat. The trailer wasn't looking too good as a result.

Chalked that one up to learning from experience and am a bit more careful in the rain now.
Old 28 June 2006, 20:24   #8

....yltneulf dna sdrawkcab gnipyt detrats ylsuoiretsym i evah ro em ti sI .etunim a tiaW

!ti htrow saw ti fi derednow tsuJ !no ti tup ot setunim 04 em sekat ti si elbuorT .esle gnihtyna ro gnifahc ,gnippalf ,melborp on evah dna seignuB htiw nwod dehsal ,no ti evael yllamron I ecnatsid gnol gnivird m'I fI .gnitseretni stahT
Old 28 June 2006, 20:32   #9

Pheww, what happened there? Suddenly I had this strange new skill for typing backwards. Gone now....

What I was saying is:

Thats interesting. When I drive long distance I leave the cover on, mainly because the boat is full of holiday rubbish. I lash it down with bungies and have never had a problem with flapping, chaffing or anything else. Trouble is it takes me 40 minutes, and if there's nothing in the boat, was wondering if it was worth it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 28 June 2006, 20:40   #10

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Leave it off definately
Old 28 June 2006, 21:02   #11

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I doubt it would make much difference to the aerodynamics because the airflow over the boat will be turbulent anyway, being behind the tow vehicle. And if it is in front of the tow vehicle, aerodynamics are probably going to be the least of your worries in about 0.2 seconds time, more likely to be that hedge over there

I have been thinking of a cover for mine when it is parked in the yard but it is very windy here and I have the same concern re chafing. Nobody here uses car covers, for exactly that reason.
Old 28 June 2006, 21:32   #12
G L

Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 2.0 V6 135
MMSI: 235038455
I had a 4.2 zodiac with a cover, it just keep flaping lose !!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 June 2006, 21:57   #13

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
we tow without the cover on as it would flap around and be a right pain on the rib, the shetland we always tow with the cover on but the cover is at the rear and out of the direct wind so to speak

as mentioned chaffing etc would be a pain

with cover off you get flys everwhere which is a pain

however i do find the boat is much nicer to tow than a large caravan
Old 28 June 2006, 22:07   #14

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Towing with cover on

Here's my two pence worth.
I tow with the cover on. It keeps the rain & road muck out of the boat and off the tubes. Also means I can use the inside for storage. The cover is tied & bungied down tight to the trailer so the edges don't touch the boat & chaffe. This does mean I get a bit of wind up inside & create a bit of a sail but my cover does the boat end to end including the engine. With the prop cover on there is only the bottom of the hull exposed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028 (Small).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	20414   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0397 (Small).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	20415  
Old 28 June 2006, 22:11   #15

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
I do find the boat is much nicer to tow than a large caravan
I find that a Ringo is much nicer to tow than a large caravan.
Old 29 June 2006, 09:56   #16

Town: Newby Bridge
Boat name: Alfie
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 50hp
I've been thinking of buying a boat cover off Ebay, someone posted this link here recently:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4646190668

I wrote to two people on ebay who seemed to be selling similar covers and asked them if the cover would fit over an A frame and so cover the outboard, one said 'I doubt it' the other said 'they have an elasticated hem that allows it to strech fit over the outboard and A frame'.

It's strange that these sellers seem to have different opinions over what seem to be very identical covers. I'm wondering if anyone here has any views on covers and whether or not they're likely to stretch over an A frame?
Old 29 June 2006, 10:53   #17

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Bear in mind also that any sharp edges not the sort that cut but could wear through something will do just that, once the hole has appeared air gets in and starts shredding the whole shooting match.

It would be a pity to ruin what is probably an expensive cover unless its well made, tight fitting and very tough......?
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 19:37   #18

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
I got a very tidy bespoke cover made by Chris & marine & industrial covers (part of the burton waters (sealine dealers) lincoln complex)

Excellent cover and I've tugged mine from Sheffield to the east yorkshire coast all last season @ 50 - 70mph for 150 miles round trip without any problem at all. Did the trip atleast a dozen times till we moved out here.

All depends on the quality of your cover........
Old 02 July 2006, 19:47   #19

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Challenger
Make: Avon 6.20
Engine: Honda 150hp
Pro's & Cons of towing with cover on/off

Have just returned from a trip to the South of France, towing an Avon 6.20 RIB c/w Honda 150hp. Bought a cover from Kevin @ Pacer Marine with the intention of towing with it on. Does a fantastic job when static (Self supporting with tent type flexible poles) great to about 70kph but starts to flog above that. Just too much wind resistance lifting everything that can lift!

In the end took the cover off, towed at 100-120kph kept the boat secure at fuel stops and put the cover on when we overnighted to detract prying eyes/hands!

Am determined to do further research to see if we can modify ours as I would always prefer to tow covered, however I'm not sure if a RIB with a consol/screen/jockey seats/bench seat/A frame/outboard can be covered in a way that keeps it tidy & secure & have a low enough drag co-efficient to prevent flogging/chafing etc.

Any thoughts would be well appreciated.

PS. By the way, having enjoyed the West coast of Scotland (Plockton) every year, North Wales (Frequently) - I can recomend the South of France (Port Grimaud, near St Tropez) for a friendly, sunny boating holiday any time & quite frankly I will be planning a return just as soon as I can!
Old 03 July 2006, 12:41   #20

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
With a rib.........

.......as small as your's why don't you do as P D and stick it in the boot or on the roof.