Old 02 February 2007, 05:25   #1

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Correct breakdown procedures?

Ok
You are 10 miles off shore, blowing force 4-5, on your own,and the engine conks out. What do you do?

Old 02 February 2007, 05:35   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: The Black Pearl
Make: BRIG F400S
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40HP E-TEC
After I'd finished swearing a lot and kicking the console.... I'd drop a sea anchor to slow movement. First I'd check the fuel levels and breather, then I'd check engine warning lights (if it's an overheat most likely seaweed or a plastic carrier bag on the water intakes), fuel lines (could be a kink etc) and try to turn over the engine. I'd take off the cowling and see if there was fuel in the internal filter and that there was nothing obvious like a loose HT lead etc. Prob a good idea to tie a rope to your lifejacket and a cleat whilst you are leaning over the back at the outboard in a F4-5!

If all else fails, get on the radio and request assistance.

Old 02 February 2007, 06:58   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjarvis View Post
After I'd finished swearing a lot and kicking the console.... I'd drop a sea anchor to slow movement. First I'd check the fuel levels and breather, then I'd check engine warning lights (if it's an overheat most likely seaweed or a plastic carrier bag on the water intakes), fuel lines (could be a kink etc) and try to turn over the engine. I'd take off the cowling and see if there was fuel in the internal filter and that there was nothing obvious like a loose HT lead etc. Prob a good idea to tie a rope to your lifejacket and a cleat whilst you are leaning over the back at the outboard in a F4-5!

If all else fails, get on the radio and request assistance.
Fraser,

Unless i was confident that it was just a glitch I think I would be putting out a Pan Pan as soon as the problem happened - in a F4-5 - and before trying to fix it. That way if you do go overboard the C/G knew where you were and that you had a problem. And likely that the lifeboat crew will be at the station by the time you have gone through the basics.

Easy enough to call them ten minutes later and explain your mechanical prowess - and stand down the help.

Of course the preferred answer would be: "pop the aux in the water, pull the cord and head for shore!" - doesn't work for those of us with such small boats though, but then you are unlikely to find me 10 miles off shore in a F4-5 with no other boats around.

NEIL
Old 02 February 2007, 09:59   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Of course the preferred answer would be: "pop the aux in the water, pull the cord and head for shore!" - doesn't work for those of us with such small boats though, but then you are unlikely to find me 10 miles off shore in a F4-5 with no other boats around.
That would be my solution! Once I had got things purring in the right direction I would immediately try and raise somebody on the radio/mobile so somebody was aware of my predicament and ready to come to help. And then I'd start trying to get the main engine running again.

You wouldn't find me 10 miles offshore in a F4/5 even with an aux though... it would be 2 hours back on the aux even in ideal conditions and I hate to think how long it would take into the wind/sea.

In fact I'd probably not go 10 miles offshore even in calm conditions but then I suppose it is a bit different here as the nearest thing to see "offshore" is 4000 miles away so there's not a lot of point in "going for a look"

Maybe when we get our next oil rig back I will go for a peep but till then...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2007, 10:11   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Okay,

I was ten miles off shore on my own the other day in a Force 4. No boats around and wishing I wasn't, but heck I've gat a RIB and I want to use it. So I decided to take a chance.
What would I have done If I'd broke down !

1) Throw the anchor out. Then depending on how the boat was riding the waves do the following.

2) If I'm taking on water, immediately give out a Mayday.

3) If I'm not taking on water, I would spend 5 minutes deciding if I could fix the engine. If not then I would give out a Pan Pan.

4) As I am a member of Sea Start I would then call them myself if I could get a signal or if not ask the Coastguard to contact them.

5) Then its time to wait and once you've been rescued thank everyone.

At the end of the day as responsible boat owners we shouldn't be letting the fact that 10 miles seem a long way put us off going out. It might as well be a mile for all the use most Auxilleries would be in a headwind and for those of us without, it makes no difference.
If you service your engine regularly and check everything else that could go wrong then you can't really blame yourself if the worst happens.
Old 02 February 2007, 14:54   #6

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Great replies guys keep them comming
I was out last week in pretty rough conditions on my own. It occured to me that it took 35 mins to get where i was going and if i broke down it would take the lifeboat probably an hour to get to me. It kinda worried me..................
Old 02 February 2007, 14:57   #7

I think I'd much rather be stranded 10 miles off shore than 1/2 a mile off shore. Gives you more time to think. Also means you shouldn't have to worry about getting pushed on a beach or rocks.

Only downside is that long slow tow in.
Old 02 February 2007, 16:00   #8

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Okay,

I was ten miles off shore on my own the other day in a Force 4. No boats around and wishing I wasn't, but heck I've gat a RIB and I want to use it. So I decided to take a chance.
What would I have done If I'd broke down !

1) Throw the anchor out. Then depending on how the boat was riding the waves do the following.
Would your anchor be any use if you were 10 miles from shore? Only 2 or 3 miles offshore from here and you are in 60 metres of water ... don't know what the depths are like around most parts of the UK though.

I agree about not being put off using the boat, but there is a fine line between being adventurous and ending up in a situation where lots of people ask "what the &^*&%^ing hell were you doing out there" when the fan gets dirty, the line often moves with hindsight

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2007, 17:07   #9

Hi Stephen,

The average depth where I was is 15 meters. Over 20 miles out and you get an average of 40 meters. If it was that sort of depth I would only chuck the anchor out as a means to slow my drift.

With regards people commenting on my actions in case of an emergency. Well the boat is fully serviced and in overall good condition. We had two VHF radios, (Needed that due to my losing an antenna), two mobile phones, lifejackets were worn, drysuits on, food, water and flares on board. Along with first aid kit. The sea state was what I would consider moderate. Although it was a Force 4 I considered it to be well within my capabilities. The waves weren't breaking and we were able to average a 13 Knot speed with only a little bit of weaving needed. The only variable was the engine. I took a risk which I considered to be only small in that the one thing that was going to cause a problem would be engine failure. Because it is serviced and not that old I considered the risk to be small.

Unfortunately if that small risk had happened then yes I would have required assistance. But it wouldn't have been an emergency and I would probably have had to do some explaining to do. But I don't think I was reckless.

I've tried to build my experience up over a few years just operating in one area. If I went to another area then once again I would be very careful and build up my knowledge carefully.

Certainly if I was in your area then I would take things very different.
Old 02 February 2007, 17:17   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I think I'd much rather be stranded 10 miles off shore than 1/2 a mile off shore. Gives you more time to think. Also means you shouldn't have to worry about getting pushed on a beach or rocks.

Only downside is that long slow tow in.
Couldn't agree more - in my home stretch of water I would feel quite safe 10 miles out - the last place I would want the engine to cut is when making a mad dash 300yds from the harbour mouth - would soon end up on the rocks. I MUST fit my aux and keep it running when leaving/entering the harbour in dodgy conditions!!!