Old 11 June 2008, 15:00   #1

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Cornwall Advice

Can anyone point me in the direction of moorings (for 6m rib) or boat and trailer storage in North Cornwall?..moorings in Newquay are like rocking horse poop and cant seem to find anywhere close that's secure or reasonably priced.... anyone with insider knowledge on moorings on the coast would be bought lots of beers..otherwise it'll be premier marina in Falmouth
Old 11 June 2008, 17:48   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Just popping out for an ice cream. I might be persuaded to part with a little local info later.
Old 11 June 2008, 19:38   #3

OK, for starters, I wouldn't base my ribbing on the North coast. It's wild and spectacular, but with Atlantic swell and few very tidal ports, it's not the best for boating. The South coast, on the other hand, is perfect. Left or right out of Falmouth, the options are endless. Definitely don't bother with Premier. Mylor is a much nicer facility and cheap if approached correctly. Also in Fal there's Port Pendennis Marina or the Harbour Master run Yacht Haven.
Old 11 June 2008, 20:21   #4

Thanks Mollers - based in costa del newquay and lazy so was hoping for something north coast but have just found info on St Mawes, Mylor and a couple of others..look stunning
Old 11 June 2008, 20:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911 View Post
based in costa del newquay
Yuk.
Old 11 June 2008, 20:26   #6

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
The local fishermen in St Mawes aren't overly keen on outsiders "coming down 'ere..."
Old 11 June 2008, 20:26   #7

yep, its charming..not my choice, other half's lived there for 19 years, apparently it used to be quite pleasant..
Old 11 June 2008, 20:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911 View Post
yep, its charming..not my choice, other half's lived there for 19 years, apparently it used to be quite pleasant..
Newquay is a beautiful piece of coastline, unfortunately it has been well and truly 'Costa'd'. It's not representative of true Cornwall.
Old 11 June 2008, 20:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
The local fishermen in St Mawes aren't overly keen on outsiders "coming down 'ere..."
Or even, 'Coming over 'ere' from Penryn.
Old 11 June 2008, 20:42   #10

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Newquay ? didn't that used to be a part of cornwall

You wouldn't need a mooring there , just ride shotgun in the rib while you sit in the traffic jam to keep the chavs away
Old 12 June 2008, 07:23   #11

south coast it is then...
Old 12 June 2008, 15:35   #12
Spammer

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
OK, for starters, I wouldn't base my ribbing on the North coast. It's wild and spectacular, but with Atlantic swell and few very tidal ports, it's not the best for boating. The South coast, on the other hand, is perfect. Left or right out of Falmouth, the options are endless. Definitely don't bother with Premier. Mylor is a much nicer facility and cheap if approached correctly. Also in Fal there's Port Pendennis Marina or the Harbour Master run Yacht Haven.
The only correct statement in this quote appears to be "wild and spectacular".

As for the rest, well why go all the way to Cornwall park up and go "Left or right out of Falmouth". Its a bit like going North or South on the M25.

"Mylor is a much nicer facility and cheap if approached correctly" Here is where the M25 stops!!
Keep your fingers crossed and everything else you may have that you dont meet another vehicle.
Once down at Mylor back to the M25, traffic and waiting to launch, then park your car if you can.

Enjoy your trip 1000`s of others have tried !!

Now for the North Coast (Yes it is still in Cornwall) however even in the height of summer you would not believe it out at sea, unspoilt coast line with plenty of facilities for the "Accomplished Mariner".

Staying at Newquay, try Padstow, moorings available to visitors in the Camel ( Tidal )

Go with the flow = M25

Explore and see the "Real Cornwall" = North Coast

You get swell anywhere and at anytime, if you get the weather give the North a try, thats unless you are addicted to traffic and lots and lots of people.
Old 12 June 2008, 16:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsup View Post
The only correct statement in this quote appears to be "wild and spectacular".

As for the rest, well why go all the way to Cornwall park up and go "Left or right out of Falmouth". Its a bit like going North or South on the M25.

"Mylor is a much nicer facility and cheap if approached correctly" Here is where the M25 stops!!
Keep your fingers crossed and everything else you may have that you dont meet another vehicle.
Once down at Mylor back to the M25, traffic and waiting to launch, then park your car if you can.

Enjoy your trip 1000`s of others have tried !!

Now for the North Coast (Yes it is still in Cornwall) however even in the height of summer you would not believe it out at sea, unspoilt coast line with plenty of facilities for the "Accomplished Mariner".

Staying at Newquay, try Padstow, moorings available to visitors in the Camel ( Tidal )

Go with the flow = M25

Explore and see the "Real Cornwall" = North Coast

You get swell anywhere and at anytime, if you get the weather give the North a try, thats unless you are addicted to traffic and lots and lots of people.
If you enjoy the North Coast and want to wallow in the Padstein effect. Good luck.
Falmouth, you clown, is the 'doorway' to the whole of the Western Approaches. 'Left or right' can be the Scillies to the Channel Isles for the open minded mariner.
By all means offer a differing opinion, but don't slate me for passing on sound advice based on local knowledge and not 'bigging up' 'Kensington-on Sea' which again "used to be Cornwall".
Old 12 June 2008, 16:52   #14

Interesting day today, went to QAB in guz, across the south coast to check out a couple of boatyards, the Yacht Haven and Premier Marina in Falmouth, then up to Padstow. My thoughts..

QAB..plymouth is being regenerated, but its still a shit hole. Have done the journey in 50 min on a bike but took an hour and 45 in the car so rules it out for spur of the moment family trips out. Shame as there are plenty of old stomping grounds in easy reach of guz that I'd like to have done again.

Falmouth: Pretty...pretty f busy as whatsup says, but beautiful. Boatyards full, Yachthaven expensive, premier cheap but didnt warm to it. Will try and get across again over the weekend to check out more yards.

Padstow: Spoke with harbour staff who had met a few years back on navy visits - offered an inner harbour spot for sensible money or a port arthur mooring for small change. Most tempting option so far, although I'm not aware of the "plenty of facilities" within 15nm either side, accomplished mariner or not which could lead to a grumpy girlfriend.
Old 12 June 2008, 18:43   #15
Spammer

Quote:
If you enjoy the North Coast and want to wallow in the Padstein effect. Good luck.
Falmouth, you clown, is the 'doorway' to the whole of the Western Approaches. 'Left or right' can be the Scillies to the Channel Isles for the open minded mariner.
By all means offer a differing opinion, but don't slate me for passing on sound advice based on local knowledge and not 'bigging up' 'Kensington-on Sea' which again "used to be Cornwall".
" Quote : Falmouth, you clown, is the 'doorway' to the whole of the Western Approaches".

You deserve a round of applause, you have finally acknowledged the similarities between Falmouth left or right being similar to north or south of the M25 ( The North / South Approaches to London or Wales )

SOUND advice you have got to be joking !!!!!!!

Local knowledge, your probably one of these 2nd home GIMP`S would`nt know the difference between a pasty and a ginster.

What do you do sit on your G&T palace thinking you know it all ?

For your info my generation has 175 years on these shores, we have nothing to do with a circus,perhaps you know more about this area than you are letting on.

No nothing about you mate but you really need to sort your info juggling out.
Old 12 June 2008, 20:06   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
" Quote : Falmouth, you clown, is the 'doorway' to the whole of the Western Approaches".

You deserve a round of applause, you have finally acknowledged the similarities between Falmouth left or right being similar to north or south of the M25 ( The North / South Approaches to London or Wales )

Local knowledge, your probably one of these 2nd home GIMP`S would`nt know the difference between a pasty and a ginster.

For your info my generation has 175 years on these shores, we have nothing to do with a circus,perhaps you know more about this area than you are letting on.

Here's a good idea.

Make your next post something pleasant. Joining and having a go at someone immediately is NOT good form.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2008, 20:25   #17

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
Second that...
Old 12 June 2008, 20:34   #18

Quote:

You couldn't be further from the truth sunshine, I'm a Penryn Boy from the home of ROWE'S pasties. Now bugger off before you annoy someone.
BTW, I hope that your Cornish is better than your English.
Old 12 June 2008, 20:39   #19

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
NoS/Markyboyo
I disagree - anyone who has a pop at Mollers is ok with me
Old 13 June 2008, 05:29   #20
Spammer

Quote:
You couldn't be further from the truth sunshine, I'm a Penryn Boy from the home of ROWE'S pasties. Now bugger off before you annoy someone.
BTW, I hope that your Cornish is better than your English.
Well Mr Penryn "BOY"
It was said that the devil would never dare to cross the River Tamar into Cornwall for fear of ending up as a filling in a Cornish pasty.

I wont repeat what is said of a "Penryn BOY that eats ROWES pasties"

(Act IV Scene III - PAROLLES: "I will confess to what I know without constraint: if ye pinch me like a pasty, I can say no more".)

Make sure your next one has a BIG Crimp, you never know what you may catch off those "Penryn Boys Hands"

'Oggie, Oggie, Oggie'