Old 16 March 2012, 22:17   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Copper Coat

We took the plunge this year and decided to have the RIB anti-fouled. After assessing all the options, went for Copper Coat.
It is more expensive than most (although a good trade price was given), but should last for a considerable time. We purchased 6 ltrs which is good for 5 coats and is strange to see only 3 ltrs of resin and the same of pure copper power.
The guys who prep'ed the hull and applied said it was a bit of a pain and really would be better applied in much warmer temperatures, but got a good finish.
I will update on how we get on. However, on the trip back to Poole today, saw a speed of 60mph which I have never seen before and dont know if this is due to the Copper Coat or the conditions or both?
Steve
Old 17 March 2012, 08:48   #2

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I put Coppercoat on my hull four years ago and it's still working fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tide's%20gone%20out.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	66315  
Old 17 March 2012, 18:12   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
My Dads Aquabell was done about 8 years ago and comes out cleaner than some boats that have been pressure washed.
Well worth the money.
Old 20 March 2012, 10:50   #4

Town: Dorset
Length: no boat
In reply to 250kts, and just as a quick clarrification to those who are unfamiliar with Coppercoat, a package of 6 litres of Coppercoat consists of 6 half-litre pots of base epoxy, 6 half-litre pots of epoxy activator (which, when mixed together, makes 6 litres of epoxy resin) and 6 bags of fine copper powder. By the time the copper is mixed in, the total volume of a 6 litre package is actually nearer 9 litres!

With regards to hull speed, removing conventional paint anti-foul and replacing it with Coppercoat epoxy anti-foul should provide an improvement. Conventional anti-foul paint absorbs water, and in so doing swells, roughens and increases in weight. The unfortunate side effect of this is that it adds drag and blunts boat speed and efficiency (even when new, freshly applied and clean). On the other hand, epoxy anti-fouls such as Coppercoat are waterproof. They do not add drag and do not slow the boat as paints do. Consequently it is to be expected that your RIB should have a new and improved top speed. Of course it's primary job is keep the hull clean, but the fact that it provides increased hull performance is a nice bonus.

I don't wish to highjack the thread, but thought that a couple of explanations from us (the manufacturers of Coppercoat) may prove helpful to all.
Old 20 March 2012, 12:53   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan clark View Post
In reply to 250kts, and just as a quick clarrification to those who are unfamiliar with Coppercoat, a package of 6 litres of Coppercoat consists of 6 half-litre pots of base epoxy, 6 half-litre pots of epoxy activator (which, when mixed together, makes 6 litres of epoxy resin) and 6 bags of fine copper powder. By the time the copper is mixed in, the total volume of a 6 litre package is actually nearer 9 litres!

With regards to hull speed, removing conventional paint anti-foul and replacing it with Coppercoat epoxy anti-foul should provide an improvement. Conventional anti-foul paint absorbs water, and in so doing swells, roughens and increases in weight. The unfortunate side effect of this is that it adds drag and blunts boat speed and efficiency (even when new, freshly applied and clean). On the other hand, epoxy anti-fouls such as Coppercoat are waterproof. They do not add drag and do not slow the boat as paints do. Consequently it is to be expected that your RIB should have a new and improved top speed. Of course it's primary job is keep the hull clean, but the fact that it provides increased hull performance is a nice bonus.

I don't wish to highjack the thread, but thought that a couple of explanations from us (the manufacturers of Coppercoat) may prove helpful to all.
In terms of speed, fundamentally I'd agree, I have to as technically there is more friction. In the real world though, i noticed no difference on the GPS with and without antifoul.
Old 20 March 2012, 13:14   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
In the real world though, i noticed no difference on the GPS with and without antifoul.
In the "Real" real world, you have to be moving to test this properly....
Old 20 March 2012, 14:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
5 points to you sir.

My top speed of 0 did not alter.
Old 20 March 2012, 15:30   #8

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
yep I agree not much movement moored to a buoy is there...
Old 20 March 2012, 16:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
yep I agree not much movement moored to a buoy is there...
There is on the Strait! Effectively up to about 8 knots against the tide, that's quicker than yours at WOT
Old 20 March 2012, 16:43   #10

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Willk I love the new Avatar. I take it you will be changing your tag to Zorro
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2012, 16:51   #11

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
My mate was going to use it on his Targa 34 and was told not to as it's really bad for the marine life.
Old 20 March 2012, 17:56   #12

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
My mate was going to use it on his Targa 34 and was told not to as it's really bad for the marine life.
Mmmmmm! Surely ALL anti fouling is 'bad for marine life'. That's why it's used, to stop 'marine life' from growing on the hull. If it isn't used the huge increases in fuel consumption will use up precious resources, adding to global warming (which will kill lots of 'marine life' because the water will get too warm).

Ordinary anti fouling wears away as the boat travels through the water, thus spreading its 'poisons' over a large area. Coppercoat stays on the boat for about ten years and only kills 'marine life' that actually sticks to it (which then falls off). It's therefore better for the environment and 'marine life'.

Frankly, I get pi**ed off with environmentalist clap trap and bad science. I also dislike trolls and I think I may have been hooked by one.

Apologies if I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just fed up of grey skies.
Old 20 March 2012, 17:57   #13

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
There is on the Strait! Effectively up to about 8 knots against the tide, that's quicker than yours at WOT
Old 20 March 2012, 18:28   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Willk I love the new Avatar. I take it you will be changing your tag to Zorro
Um, thanks - but I'm just minding it for someone. I'll be glad to see the back of it, frankly. I woke up to find 173 sheep in the front paddock today and I don't own sheep. That and I'm fairly sure it can open the fridge and I think it's got the cat up the duff...
Old 20 March 2012, 18:54   #15

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
You should have been suspicious the minute you saw it with a disguise like that. It's clearly up to no good
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2012, 19:37   #16

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Mmmmmm! Surely ALL anti fouling is 'bad for marine life'. That's why it's used, to stop 'marine life' from growing on the hull. If it isn't used the huge increases in fuel consumption will use up precious resources, adding to global warming (which will kill lots of 'marine life' because the water will get too warm).

Ordinary anti fouling wears away as the boat travels through the water, thus spreading its 'poisons' over a large area. Coppercoat stays on the boat for about ten years and only kills 'marine life' that actually sticks to it (which then falls off). It's therefore better for the environment and 'marine life'.

Frankly, I get pi**ed off with environmentalist clap trap and bad science. I also dislike trolls and I think I may have been hooked by one.

Apologies if I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just fed up of grey skies.
I can't be an environmentalist, I drive a 4x4 and a RIB when I could be a raggie with a Golf although I do have a heat pump.

Since posting I did some research and found copper antifoul is more friendly, but my mate was told it would kill the fish and copper's not used anymore, something's different these days as it used to be shunned upon so was wondering how it;s different as it clearly has changes.
Old 20 March 2012, 21:14   #17

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Hi Ewan

I hope you dont think my comments were in anyway negative about the product. Far from it, I am pleased and look forward to see the way it carries on protecting our RIB over the years.
As posted on our Facebook site, the speed at WOT has already improved beyond anything we have seen over the last two years
Regards
Steve
Old 20 March 2012, 21:18   #18

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Since posting I did some research and found copper antifoul is more friendly, but my mate was told it would kill the fish and copper's not used anymore, something's different these days as it used to be shunned upon so was wondering how it;s different as it clearly has changes.
I think you will find that it is copper based chemicals in eroding antifoul that are the environmental problem as they get into the food chain due to them becoming dissolved/suspended in water. Plain old copper metal fixed to a hull is not such a problem. I would suspect it releases very little copper minerals into the surrounding briny and is therefore only toxic to anything that tries to attach itself directly to the coating. Bear in mind that sheets of copper were attached to boats historically (square riggers and the like) to prevent fouling.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 00:54   #19

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
I put Coppercoat on my hull four years ago and it's still working fine.
Small world!!!

Here's some pics I took of your rib in 2009 when we went to France in our VW camper.

Awesome holiday, and an awesome rib

My dream is to take my own rib there one day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 317.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	66404   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 318.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	66405   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 316.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	66406   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 319.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	66407  
Old 21 March 2012, 09:48   #20

Town: Dorset
Length: no boat
The technical editor of "Motor Boat and Yachting" magazine (Greg Copp) tested it on his 13m Sunseeker last year, and the early results were published in the Feb '12 issue. His boat gained 2 knots at top speed, and 1 knot at cruising revs.

Similarly we had Sunseeker Middle East test Coppercoat on a brace of 82ft Sunseekers in Dubai, and again recorded a 2 knot increase in top speed. And even though it costs a fair amount to lift and repaint these big boats, it's a lot cheaper to gain speed this way than it is to fit bigger engines!

Aquarius Marine Coatings Ltd.
(www.coppercoat.com)
ewan clark is offline   Reply With Quote