Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 17 October 2002, 08:10   #21

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Certainly seem to be more interested in 4x4's than RIBS these days..............................
Old 20 October 2002, 09:42   #22

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
For the third time of asking, "How much do you pay per thousand words?"
Alan P
Old 20 October 2002, 16:53   #23

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi Folks, I'm Back (grrrrrrrroan) {Bill, was that you?]

Gavin

You are pinching all me ideas for articles!

Well, mine is written and we are awaiting the photographs. What is it about? Well, you'll just have to wait and see if Hugo thinks it's good enough to publish! If he does I'll let you all know and you can BUY the magazine and read it.

Keith (life is too short to......, well life is just too damned short) Hart
Old 20 October 2002, 19:18   #24

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
Two's up on the magazine when you buy it Hart.
Old 20 October 2002, 19:56   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:

For the third time of asking, "How much do you pay per thousand words?"

I don't think he wants to tell you Alan!!!!!!!!!!!

A magazine editor expecting freebies? Surely not!
Old 28 October 2002, 21:41   #26
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Hugo

You started this discussion a while back, but since then you haven't added anything despite some direct questions. Are you still here? Or was it a one-off message?

I see from another thread that you do pay for articles, but I'm not sure about why you are so coy about your rates. I'm sure that there are a number of people who might be motivated to write for RIB International if only they had some idea of what their articles might be worth.

So Hugo, what is RIB International's going rate for freelance writers?

If it is a secret, could you tell us why?

Thanks!
John

Also emailed in case Hugo doesn't have the time to keep up with the RIBnet forums
Old 28 October 2002, 23:35   #27

I'll tell you how to find out.

Write an article, take some decent pictures and send them in for consideration.

Keith (I know but I'm not telling) Hart
Old 29 October 2002, 06:29   #28
Administrator

But why should anyone have to do it in that order?

"Do the work, then we'll tell you what the deal is" seems an odd way of working! I don't understand why it can't be a bit more transparent than that.

The current method suits you which is fine. I'm glad that RIB International has found a new contributor. However, it appears that with a bit more openness more people might come forward which would surely benefit everyone!

John
Old 29 October 2002, 22:55   #29

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I don't think Hugo should be stating how much he pays for articles, after all it's his business. In general most financial transactions are kept confidential and obviously the rate is variable and negotiable, depemding on exerience, content, appeal and I guess attraction to advertisers.

Our complaints have been to do with the quality of the articles, whether or not they have been empathetic to our needs as mariners and the suspected advertorials.

One of the main problems , IMHO, is that the articles are written by people professionally enganged in the industry and as such they will not give too much away, surely by articles appearing from the ranks of the Ribnetters we will start to improve on this.
And if we get bogged down raising the money issue then we may stop people from submitting articles that improve this situation.

I am not a Fan of Hugo, nor presently of Rib International, but it presently is the only mag in town . If we want to do something about that then count me in but not as the typesetter

By the way I have been doing a lot of reading of backissues of RI and the older issues seem to be more interesting. certainly to me!

Regards
Stuart
Old 30 October 2002, 08:01   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by THEWAVEHUMPER
I don't think Hugo should be stating how much he pays for articles, after all it's his business.
That may well be a fair point, but it is a pity that Hugo hasn't seen fit to reply with his views.

There is an opportunity here for RIB International to continue a constructive dialogue with a wide range of readers, potential readers, advertisers and possible feature writers. It seems to me that starting this thread and declining to make any further comment may do more harm to the magazine than good .

It's a shame that the RIB International team don't participate in more open discussions here. Not just about the magazine, but ribbing in general. I don't know whether it's lack of time, lack of inclination or because they want to keep things "in house" rather than on a public forum. Whatever the reason, they are missing out!

Never mind.

John
Old 30 October 2002, 13:35   #31

Quote:
I don't think Hugo should be stating how much he pays for articles, after all it's his business. In general most financial transactions are kept confidential and obviously the rate is variable and negotiable, depemding on exerience, content, appeal and I guess attraction to advertisers.
I agree. I spoke to Hugo BEFORE I did the article, which involved a day out with the photographer, we discussed the content. Having had preliminary approval, orft I jolly well went and did it. Then I submitted it for approval. Having seen the article and the photos Hugo contacted me and THEN we discussed money.

This is fair enough. Hugo has the option to take a look and assess the value of the article. He can vary his offer depending on content, photos and the 'name' of the writer. Who the heck am I? No one in the boating world knows me. My name on the front won't help Hugo sell any copies (my photo would sell a few to the ladies though!) [Oh yes, and who do you think you are kidding Hart] (Bloomin' Davison in my reply again). He has to take a gamble. I could have refused his offer, he could have refused the article. We came to a mutualy agreeable arrangement.

Also in a glossy colour magazine, the photos are very important. I was able to supply good quality photos as well (thanks Natalie). This again will affect the 'value' of the article.

Now, I must say that when all this started I had NEVER seen RI, and I did state this in my contributions. Now I have read a couple of issues. I can tell you that I thought it looked very good. There is certainly a lot of hard work goes into getting it together.

I think that there is scope for articles about smaller RIBs and SIBs. Hugo agrees. So, I'll put my thinking cap on and see about doing some more. But, again I will put an idea together then discuss it with Hugo. If he thinks it sounds the sort of article they want I'll go ahead and do it.

Why the apparent obsession with how much RI pay for contributions? How much do 'Horse & Hound' pay? How about 'Yachting Monthly'? Who cares and why?

Keith (today RIB International, tomorrow SIB International) Hart
Old 30 October 2002, 14:08   #32
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Hart

Who the heck am I? No one in the boating world knows me.

Don't you believe it! I was talking with a ribber I met last week down on Shell island. We were chatting about ribs in general when he asked me if I knew that "w****r Hart from Brummigen".

Your fame is spreading already.

David The Dook.
Old 30 October 2002, 14:14   #33

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Hart

Why the apparent obsession with how much RI pay for contributions? How much do 'Horse & Hound' pay? How about 'Yachting Monthly'? Who cares and why?

Keith (today RIB International, tomorrow SIB International) Hart
Keith, In my case its not an obsession but I do feel strongly that anyone contributing to a commercial publication should be paid for their efforts and paid fairly. The impression HMS and a few others have given (to me at least) is that all us jolly Rib and Sibsters should support RI by contributing for the good of Ribbing as a whole. Which considering that RI is how HMS and co earn their crust is rather unfair. A very different proposition than contributing to rib.net or Riblines, neither of which you are charged to read.

Absolutely agree that the fee paid is a matter between you and HMS only!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 30 October 2002, 17:03   #34

Quote:
Don't you believe it! I was talking with a ribber I met last week down on Shell island. We were chatting about ribs in general when he asked me if I knew that "w****r Hart from Brummigen".
You've been speaking to Davison again, haven't you David?

Alan, make sure everyone you know buys a copy of the Jan/Feb RI. Then their circulation will go up and I can say it was because of my article. They they will ask me to do more!

Keith (your most obedient and humble servant) Hart
Old 30 October 2002, 23:20   #35

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Personally I'm tending towards agreeing with both sides here. The fee paid should really be kept confidential, but the author should be given at least a rough figure before they actually put the work into the article. This way, they know before hand whether or not the amount they are going to be paid is what they would consider to be fair, and if it isn't, they can either go elsewhere straight away, or save themselves the effort.
Also agreed that the fee should vary somewhat (though not immensely) based upon writing experience/skill of the author. After all, someone's first ever article is probably going to need a lot more editing done by the magazine staff and won't be up to the standard of someone that does this sort of thing regularly, and this should be reflected in the fee. Not totally agreed on the fee being higher for a known name, unless the quality of the article is higher. Fee should relate to quality.
Again, a higher fee should also be paid when useable photographs are included, as this saves on costs for the magazine.

But I am also agreed with John about Hugo not responding. As he did start this thread, it would be nice to see him checking up on it and commenting regularly, as again he is giving the impression that he's not really that bothered about it.

But, having said all of that, I am willing to write an article for RI if they show any interest in the idea. So tomorrow I shall try to find the contact info that Hugo providing a while back, and I shall give him a ring and discuss the idea with him, and then, if he is interested, I shall start to work on it. But then I shall also do as Keith here has done, and keep any information on the fee confidential. I shall, however, state whether or not I deem the fee to be fair and adequate, which should be obvious by whether I go ahead and allow RI to use the article.

Matt
Old 31 October 2002, 00:40   #36

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
JK and all I absolutely agree with the comments about keeping the debate alive and well in this forum and keeping Hugo in the loop. I felyt that the concentration on the fee was a path to exclusion,

Narked that seems a very sensible idea, you can always practice by writing an article for here.

cheers
Stuart
Old 31 October 2002, 07:35   #37

Quote:
I deem the fee to be fair and adequate, which should be obvious by whether I go ahead and allow RI to use the article.
The point here is how the fee compares to that paid by other magazines in the same bracket. Also we are talking about the fee paid to an 'amateur' as opposed to a professional journalist.

The staff who work for Black Hart Productions are paid a fee based on their contribution to the act or particular theme evening. They have different rates. If I take on a cast member who is unknown and untried, their fee will be a lot less than the pros who have worked for us for a long time. Sometimes we use a 'known' act. They are established and we negotiate a fee in accordance with their 'pulling power'.

I do not go about advertising their fees to all and sundry.

We do a lot of work for entertainment agencies. They ring us up and tell us about the gig, then they ask how much we would charge. I try to wheedle out of them what is the most they will pay. They try to wheedle out of me what is the least I will work for. We come to some agreement, they say they will check with the client. Then the client decides whether it's within their budget or not. If it is, we get the job. If it isn't, we dont.

After all the years we have been doing this we know pretty much what we can charge. We know what the 'going rate' is. We charge extra for gigs in London for example (it gives us Brummies a lot of pleasure screwing the cockneys this way!). Our regular agencies know what our fee is likely to be.

But back to writing articles again. I do the occasional article for various magic magazines. I very often do this by way of a press release. In that case I do not receive a fee. What I get is FREE advertising for the 'mail order' side of our business or free publicity for the performance side. The magazine is happy. I am happy.

You do not have to write for nothing (no reward of any sort), you do not have to write in the first place.

As I said in my email Matt (buy a SIB, buy a SIB). Have a go, but don't expect to get paid the same as Kate Aidie would!

Keith (I am being informal today)
Old 31 October 2002, 15:03   #38

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Well yeah, I'm not exactly expecting a huge fee. But then I'd also be more than happy to write stuff for RIBnet for free (there you go JK, some free content if you can think of anything I could do ). My point is similar to that made by others, RI is a commercial venture, RIBnet isn't. If others will be reading the article for free, then I'll write it for free. If it's going to cost someone to read it, then I'm not just going to hand it over to the publishers free of charge. But I'm not likely to expect a large fee for it, for a number of reasons, being my age, and my complete lack of experience.

Matt (yes yes I will buy a SIB when I find one) Brown