Old 20 February 2007, 07:56   #11
Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Originally Posted by al40
I'm still stunned that apparently "waterproof" guages fog up. It's only an issue on my teleflex voltmeter and fuel guage. The engine trim / tacho are absolutely fine. Noticed this on last boat which also had a teleflex voltmeter...... They claim to be fog free as well (I suppose they are if mounted inside).
A lot of instruments are waterproof as fitted - ie mounted and sealed against a console or bulkhead which is 'dry' on the inside.

They may still have holes in the back, usually intended for free air flow which will of course cause fogging in the right conditions. But otherwise, any water vapour caught inside would be difficult to drive out as they warm up.

At least by venting the console, you can reduce moisture building up inside which can only help.

Has anyone tried using sliica packs (or those things people used to have for double glazed windows before vents were installed?)

Tel 01395 227727
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 14:31   #12
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
At least by venting the console, you can reduce moisture building up inside which can only help.
Agreed! That was certainly my hope. I think I'll ping an email to Ribcraft to see what they suggest seeing as the fuel guage was supplied by them.

Silica gel is extremely good at drying out air but in the console type of environment would saturate really quick unless you had a lot of it.

al40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 16:18   #13
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Disposable nappies also soak up loads of moisture - seriously many boat owners use them for damp control. Apparently there are loads going cheap down Branscombe way......
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 18:46   #14
Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
I seem to recall from way back in my days of Elec, that many of these clock/meters use an electric coil in conjunction with Diaphragms like speakers to dampen the spring etc. They thus use a tiny pin hole for equalising the pressure.
If his is so, then it will let moisture vapour in and thus the condensation.
Some of these clocks have lights (3 watt from memory) that warm up and teh condensation goes away.

This is from way back so no jumping own my throat.

Meanwhile you have no hope of silica Gel or Babies nappies (which use a similar idea of soaking up)for the entire atlantic. Once the absorb the moisture, they need treatment to recharge.

Try Digital

Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote