Click Here to Login

Old 23 June 2006, 20:58   #1

Town: dorking
Boat name: arc angel
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp
console/benchseat mounting in avon 4m searider

hello everyone, i need some advice on mounting my jockey console and rear bench seat to my 4 metre avon searider. the boat is the flodding hull model which has had the holes sealed up. i was going to use silkaflex sealant/glue on the floor and bottom of console bench seat along with expanding bolts to go thru the floor of the console/bench seat in to the floor of the boat. what lenght bolts do people think i should use? (dont really want to go thru in to the flooding chamber as this could potentially let water in). I was thinking of using 4 bolts per item. Is it worth mounting the centre console an inch or two off centre like in the 5.5 metre military ribs?( to counteract engine torque) i have a mariner 2 stroke 50 hp 4 cyclinder which flies .

if anyone has done this before any advice would be greatful.

thank you
Old 23 June 2006, 22:02   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
You should get some good feedback on this, as loads of people have changed their SR consoles.
If you can't/won't glass the console & seat base into place and want to go down the 'glue & screw' route, then Sikaflex is excellent, but you'd be advised to use lots of Stainless Steel Screws into the deck. Make sure your console and seat have a good substantial flange and fix into the deck at 75-100 mm centres.
Needless to say, ensure the deck finish is in good shape where the flanges mate up. You should have scope to allow 15mm of screw under the flange before it penetrates the underside of the deck.
I'm surprised to hear that you have enough space to fit a rear bench and jockey console in a SR4. They seem quite cramped with just a jockey.
Offsettingthe console is an option, but make sure you have enough room for your feet, as these boats aren't too wide!
Post some pics during the job.
Old 24 June 2006, 03:07   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
My console is screw'n'glued in but I've got 12 big stainless self tappers on easch side to hold it down.
They do go through to the flooding compartment as the floor isn't really that thick. Copious amounts of Sikaflex stop it being a problem.

My last engine was exactly the same as yours and it was mounted dead centre with no problems. My new one is dead centre too.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2006, 06:47   #4

Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
When I did some work on my Searider 5.4 I rang Avon to find out the depth of the floor including the GRP, and they reported the marine ply used was a 10mm sort with 1 to 2 mm of GRP. So loads of scews would be the better way to go instead of nuts and bolts.

Just for the record it is also very easy to glass it to the base and it would be alot stronger I think, also no screws needed.

Just out of interrest does the Searider 4's have the raised parts in the deck in the rear for support or back stops for fuel tanks etc?
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

Old 24 June 2006, 09:20   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis

Just out of interrest does the Searider 4's have the raised parts in the deck in the rear for support or back stops for fuel tanks etc?
The early ones like mine don't-they were set up with side by side seating. Some 5.4s were like that too-although it might be different on the later ones.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2006, 11:37   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
mine has some tapped holes m10 that the console bolts to the others are plugged, the pluged ones look like screw heads