Old 24 August 2012, 21:43   #41

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
As the pic below shows even the "big boys" can run aground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VegaSag.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	71463

The M/V Vega Sagittarius sits high above the water after running aground last week near Nuuk, Greenland.

For information all "calls" go through the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) not the RNLI.
Old 24 August 2012, 21:44   #42

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Lurcher

You are to be congratulated on your honesty and preparedness to share your experience with others. Okay it went wrong for you but we all make mistakes – most we get away with and others we don’t. The key thing is that we learn and move on.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I never cease to be amazed across the forums that I keep an eye on how easy some find it to criticise the decisions that others make. It is very easy to do so from the comfort of a keyboard and far more difficult when the stuff hits the fan.

Best regards, Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2012, 23:43   #43

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
The best way of learning is by mistakes, and if that means learning from others mistakes confessing all IS good as a learning tool, even if not for the soul!

All of our incident investigations and near misses in the organisation are passed around, so everyone can learn lessons from any mistakes made, as well as take home the things that went well.

I can fully understand how and why such an incident can and did happen, and would certainly not pass judgment on your actions, and can only hope others might learn from the events.

Your response by making a PAN PAN, is a very good lesson, and it should be taken a good response. I personally think that getting out of the boat to clear yourself would have been very risky, as even shallow water, and a rising tide, and choppy waters are potentially lethal.

Your best lifeboat is the one you are in (as long as its floating!) and had you slipped, or been dragged away from your boat, there would only have been the occupants of a stranded craft to help you (which would not have been much help!)

With the lifeboat crews on scene, they could do such things, as they practice, train, and have the backup of their other team members to help.

All I can say is thank you for sharing, and giving us a chance to learn from it.

To the critics, I would say do not be so easy to judge, as by criticising the OP, it might discourage others to post similar experiences, and thus deprive us of valuable lessons.

Gary
Old 25 August 2012, 10:20   #44

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
The best way of learning is by mistakes.
I've always said that a clever person learns from their own mistakes and a VERY clever person learns from the mistakes of others.

So thanks to the OP for being so honest and all the other (sometimes contradictory) comments.

What I have learnt from this is: make others aware of your situation before it becomes critical (safer for you AND them), never have a single point of failure and always be willing to learn.

This is from someone whose only RIB experience is a PB2 course in the Solent and 3 trips out (not in tidal waters).