Old 23 August 2012, 11:47   #31

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
Relying too much on any kind of electronics is never the best choice... But sometimes you have no time/room for using a paper chart, or, in case of an open rib, it will be hard reading/using maps as the boat moves.
Old 23 August 2012, 11:47   #32

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2488 View Post
It's part of the RYA Advanced powerboat sylabus to go out and conduct a night passage, often with the use of "paper" charts. Ever heard of tough charts? I was asked by the examiner on my commercial endorsement exam to find an unlit mark without the use of GPS.
If you can't take a simple bearing in the dark, maybe you shouldn't be going out in the dark. It's pretty basic stuff.
Thanks, but I know... I've done it !!(and passed to make that clear) . Did you find the unlit mark in your exam?(I found mine.....) . Did you find it while looking at a tough chart ? ( yes I have heard of & even used them.)

I can take a bearing with a hand compass in the dark , would I want to if I had hit a bank and was stern to the sea and taking waves over the back - NO !

My feeling is you are doing a good job of insulting peoples intelligence who clearly do know a thing or two ...I'm not insulted as I know what I am doing ... I dont usually rise to to take the bait ,but seem unable to stop myself today

Passage planning is one thing, pilotage is another ...( thats in the Advanced commercial endorsement exam too .................)

PS - there used to be another Jonny on here with I think a Phantom..can I see some similarites ?....

Old 23 August 2012, 12:01   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2488 View Post
Where in any of the above have I implied that a hand bearing compass and paper charts are more accurate than a GPS?
well it may have escaped your notice that this thread is about someone running aground. One of their 'lesson learned' was:
Quote:
Believe your GPS not your instinct or gut feeling.
You will note it was YOU that added the word "Always" in there. If the GPS is dead there is nothing to believe! He didn't say always anything, he didn't say always rely on your GPS. He said believe it.

Quote:
I was never questioning the accuracy of GPS, it's the reliability of it. Notice the subtle difference.
well I've certainly noticed the subtle difference in how you've presented your argument since your started!

Quote:
I disagree and would say that not trusting your own navigation skills over GPS is foolhardy.
Quote:
At the end of the day I'd trust my own navigation skills over any gps unit.
are you now not claiming that your nav skills are more reliable than GPS? We are not talking about reliability here and having something to fall back on, we are talking about not hitting a sandbank.

The only thing I have assumed was your comments were intended to be useful.

Quote:
I'm afraid the "people on here" represent a fraction, at best, of the kind of numbers of people that take to the water in the UK.
but only the "people on here" are actually here so are you maybe preaching to the converted?
Quote:
Total system failure is indeed unlikely. Does that rule it out completely though?
Personally I consider it such a low risk, I'd have no concern about going on a boat with 2 independent GPS systems as the means of navigation and no paper charts.
Quote:
At the end of the day ask yourself this question: should people go to sea relying solely on their GPS? I think we both know what the answer is.
I don't think anyone here is - you are arguing with yourself.
Old 23 August 2012, 13:14   #34

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Errr, bloke with appalling eyesight, not wearing his glasses, isn't paying any attention to GPS and sounder (at night) and runs aground.

Thassit...

http://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 13:45   #35
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
PS - there used to be another Jonny on here with I think a Phantom..can I see some similarites ?....

Anyway, Lurch took his eye off the ball. (or to be more precise, the GPS). Lolloping along at 15 knots in a bumpy sea, middle of a flooding tide, looking out for pots probably underestimated his drift.

Once he realised he'd hit the bottom, why not throw the hook over? A bit of water coming in the boat shouldn't be a problem for a well found rib. A bit of water would even make it more stable. His only worry would have been a larger breaking wave under the boat. Half an hour and he would be head to, with enough water to motor clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
by this time the tide had risen sufficiently for the boat to start moving but we were being pushed further onto the bank rather than into deeper water
It's also a good idea to have electronic screens set so you can read info without needing to put reading specs on.
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2012, 13:15   #36
RIBnet supporter

Town: Tisted Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
MMSI: 235
Send a message via MSN to LURCHER
Well I certainly seemed to have stirred up another debate and won't try to address all the comments and observations .
I don't have appalling eyesight just need glasses to read smaller print especially in poor light.
With hindsight I could have tried kedging off but she does weigh 3 tons so not that easy and I was very concerned about the water coming over the stern and stb tube .I did consider getting out and trying to push her off but was dissuaded by my wife and I think correctly so.
Long and short of it is I should have planned properly and didn't ,glad to say we got away with it with the help of RNLI and learnt a lesson or two in the process.
I'm glad that there are plenty on here who are perfect it make me feel so humble.
Old 24 August 2012, 13:24   #37

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER
Well I certainly seemed to have stirred up another debate and won't try to address all the comments and observations .
I don't have appalling eyesight just need glasses to read smaller print especially in poor light.
With hindsight I could have tried kedging off but she does weigh 3 tons so not that easy and I was very concerned about the water coming over the stern and stb tube .I did consider getting out and trying to push her off but was dissuaded by my wife and I think correctly so.
Long and short of it is I should have planned properly and didn't ,glad to say we got away with it with the help of RNLI and learnt a lesson or two in the process.
I'm glad that there are plenty on here who are perfect it make me feel so humble.
Wait a minute here... Why are you defending your actions?

I (and im sure a lot of other experienced Ribneters) would have done exactly the same (including the glasses bit in my case) :-)

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 24 August 2012, 13:25   #38

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER
I think it is all very easy for some to sit in the comfort of their living room, and consider what they would do, and discuss with others the merit of situation A or B etc. the reality of a dark evening with waves breaking over a boat is quite different. The RNLI are there to help mariners in distress, regardless of experience, planning etc etc and in your instance they assisted and all end well.

You made a decision to call the RNLI and they responded and no harm was done, therefore it was the correct decision, said from the comfort of my lounge.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2012, 13:34   #39
RIBnet supporter

Town: Tisted Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
MMSI: 235
Send a message via MSN to LURCHER
I can,t be bothered and I dont need to defend myself but thanks for the support.
Old 24 August 2012, 16:38   #40

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Interesting post and thanks for sharing. No one wants to call for help, but crucially you made the Pan Pan in the first few minutes. You know the weight of the boat and the power on tap and probably had a gut instinct that the situation wasn't going to change ant time soon.

Easy in retrospect to do things differently. But if the situation had changed or the sea had worsened, then these things tend to escalate as you attend to other things. Glad everything worked out.