Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance?
Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance 130 22.15%
Keep the current unregulated system with an emphasis on education 457 77.85%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 May 2013, 11:25   #101

Town: Somerset
Make: Rapid
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Kill Chord debate

Education must be the way forward. No authority can police the use of KC of all craft.

What are pros and cons of fitting a cage or similar device to the prop?
Old 09 May 2013, 11:27   #102
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
To follow on.

In EVERY situation where legislation has been put into place, it has been burdensome and costly.
THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GET GOVERNMENT INVOLVED.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2013, 11:30   #103

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I would like to point out that this is a personal opinion and not in any way Ribnet policy.

HMS.

The stickers are a FABULOUS idea. I don't have any issue with your magazine name being on them.

However.

You are NOT an elected industry spokesperson and your campaign for regulation is unwelcome. I repeat my earlier statements about government involvement being a negative force.
The RNLI deny government funding for a very good reason-they'll be messed around with. If you think we'd be otherwise I'm afraid you're deluded.

If the campaign for legislation does not end, I will be cancelling my subscription to your magazine. I urge others who feel the same way to vote with their feet as well.
Very well put.
Old 09 May 2013, 11:38   #104

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbed41Pleasure View Post
And willks I am not suggesting we or I do not wear and should not wear a kill chord! Just that there can sometimes be a situation that may on balance make it no safer to do so. I do not want to be pulled up or called a to##er by onlookers just because the law says we should ALWAYS wear a kill chord.

As Douglas Bader once wrote - 'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men'

I just hope that those that implement any rules have the same wise approach to policing it. I fear not!
So your logic and safety is affected by names people call you, people that you may not even know, people who may not have a clue about the issues?
The ONLY time its safe not to wear a kill cord is when the engine is not running.
Old 09 May 2013, 11:39   #105

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
Very well put.
+1
Old 09 May 2013, 11:47   #106

Length: 5m +
Education is the key.
Old 09 May 2013, 11:47   #107

Town: newton abbot
Boat name: concept
Make: avon
Engine: outboard
Education - not legislation

Firstly, it has not yet been made clear whether during the tragic incident in Padstow the kill-cord was or not deployed - switch and other failures are not unknown.

However, in the wider context of making any water activity safer, this is a debate which is likely to rumble on.

If compulsory, how on earth is it to be policed and enforced - and it will add significant costs to the sport to cover administration, bureaucracy and so forth. How on earth are all existing powerboat owners to be incorporated - can they even be identified? Training should impact the way people think and act, however, it will still NOT prevent such tragic incidents occuring - just look at the various Road Traffic Acts for a comparison. These factors are likely to have a negative effect on the development of this sporting sector

If Voluntary, more likley that participants will take pride in their skills and knowledge, and ownership of their vessel, and show greater responsibility, respect and understanding for other water users.

A different tack may be for local harbour byelaws to be amended such that certificates of competence to be produced as well as insurance proof before any vessel allowed to be slipped/craned-in/allocated a mooring etc. Insurers could subscribe too.

Current powerboat training is carried out in the UK by the RYA to a standard dictated/approved by the MCA, who would seem not to see a need for compulsory training or it would have insisted on such measures before now.

With compulsory legislation, bottom line could still be this - get your PB2 on a RIB with 25hp on the back - then buy an 8m RIB with 300hp with NO additional training in how to handle additional power and corresponding boat handling skills. Take your mates out for a "drive" - no lifekackets, no kill cord - tragic accident waiting to happen. How does legislation help?

As an RNLI Sea Safety Advisor and an RYA Powerboat Instructor, it is depressing to see so many with such a cavalier attitude to safety, risk and responsibility. It is this which must change - people's attitudes.
Old 09 May 2013, 11:48   #108

Town: London
Boat name: john
I've just come back from Australia, boy do they love boating rules and regs over there. Anyway I voted no even though I have powerboat level 2 and am considering other courses. Like most of us i'm sick and tired of being told what I can and cannot do with my life

The less government interference in my life the better I like it!
Old 09 May 2013, 11:53   #109

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
You can dress things up and put stickers all over your boat, it won't stop accidents or boats killing people, it's a sad fact of life, cigarettes packets have stickers all over them and it doesn't stop a thing
Old 09 May 2013, 11:54   #110

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: Windjammer
Make: Jeanneau
Length: 10m +
Engine: Inboard 2x260
You can't drive a car without a licence
Old 09 May 2013, 11:55   #111

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: Windjammer
Make: Jeanneau
Engine: Inboard 2x260
It's not just about your life, it's about the safety of others too...
Old 09 May 2013, 11:55   #112

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Of Loxley View Post
Policing of speed infringements should be done by other boat users reporting unsuitable driving behaviour to the local harbour authorities. Easy enough then for the harbour master to 'have a word' with the offendor to 'keep it safe'.

There is enough control of people by the authorities as it is, we surely dont want it on the water as well. Freedom to explore should be balanced with common sense and polite behaviour toward each other.
Let's leave policing to the authorities and not deputise the general public. As you have said, there's enough legislation already without RIB haters being incentivised or encouraged.
Old 09 May 2013, 11:57   #113

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycey View Post
And how many people die in cars
Old 09 May 2013, 11:58   #114

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
As far as I'm aware no RNLI RIB's or SIB's use kill cords....
Old 09 May 2013, 12:02   #115
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yes, is it this one?
I will endeavour to find the ones we use in a photo, but it is not those.
Old 09 May 2013, 12:05   #116

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I would like to point out that this is a personal opinion and not in any way Ribnet policy.

HMS.

The stickers are a FABULOUS idea. I don't have any issue with your magazine name being on them.

However.

You are NOT an elected industry spokesperson and your campaign for regulation is unwelcome. I repeat my earlier statements about government involvement being a negative force.
The RNLI refuse government funding for a very good reason-they'll be messed around with. If you think we'd be otherwise I'm afraid you're deluded.

If the campaign for legislation does not end, I will be cancelling my subscription to your magazine. I urge others who feel the same way to vote with their feet as well.

If you're going to put your head over the parapet,deal the enemy a crippling blow otherwise all you do is to shout 'look at me, I'm here' and give them somewhere to aim.

Hopefully they haven't seen you yet.
VERY well said, thanks.
Old 09 May 2013, 12:13   #117

Town: London
Make: Looking to buy!
Interesting that this is in favour of Power Boat instructors to get more business! So surely they will be supporting this!

Perhaps the rules should only be applied to inland/coastal waterways as well as being able to convert various other forms of qualifications/experience into a license!

Oh! and why not make similar requiremnets for cycling/skiing?!!!!!
Old 09 May 2013, 12:18   #118

Town: r.c.t
Make: buccaneer
Engine: 50hp merc 4stroke
cmon this is a one in million, people are not dying every day or week like this, who would get the license fees and fines?? this wonderfull government of muppets i supose, as normal screw everyone.
i do think you should have some lessons on boating, before you can use a powerboat,
remember this is a 1off incerdent.
Old 09 May 2013, 12:21   #119

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycey View Post
But does that stop accidents ??
Old 09 May 2013, 12:27   #120

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Eltorro
Make: Elan
Engine: inboard
This is a most regrettable accident. What was the driver doing to through himself and crew out of the boat? Yes a kill cord would have stopped the boat. Accidents are caused. Education can stop some. Does your Kill Cord switch work, when did you last check it? When was the kill cord last removed to check the switch? When did you last wear your kill cord. On safety, which is my job to promote, I very often met with abuse from 'know it alls' Listen and learn.

Education not Legislate. France, Spain etc all expect a certificate of competence to show basic skills this, should be a requirement, perhaps, but who will police it and who will pay for it? Education should come first.