View Poll Results: Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance?
Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance 130 22.15%
Keep the current unregulated system with an emphasis on education 457 77.85%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 August 2013, 14:58   #501

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Because he was going to get a VHF, simples. There's no requirement to carry a vhf, but if you do, then you need to know how to use it, which is a tad more involved than clipping on a killcord, if you cant work out how to use a killcord without an act of parliament.............
BTW who is going to pay for all this enforcement in this Marine Police State of yours, 3 guesses
All the numpties who break the rules and get fined, so of course if you are safe, use correct safety kit, as most people here seem to suggest they all do, all the time, then there is nothing to worry about.

Only those who are idiots, and act like them will be worried.

If having a few sensible rules turns us into a police state, have a look around, we have rules for everything else, and I dont see people complaining we have too many police officers, only criminal seem to do that

Old 11 August 2013, 15:02   #502

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
only criminal seem to do that
and Pikeys

Old 11 August 2013, 15:08   #503

Having a few rules cant be all that bad, France has any number, and while probably too OTT, it does not stop a lot of people taking their boats there for holidays

Just out of curiosity, did you not post on a thread that you are there at the moment PD? must be hell to go on holiday to such a police state?
Old 11 August 2013, 15:08   #504
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
All the numpties who break the rules and get fined, so of course if you are safe, use correct safety kit, as most people here seem to suggest they all do, all the time, then there is nothing to worry about.

Only those who are idiots, and act like them will be worried.

If having a few sensible rules turns us into a police state, have a look around, we have rules for everything else, and I dont see people complaining we have too many police officers, only criminal seem to do that
So unless we have the idiots, we won't be able to pay for the enforcement, ergo, we need the idiots. You've obviously thought that one through The same applies to speed cameras, the authorities DON'T want us to stop speeding, otherwise their 10 grand speed cameras would be white elephants, if they were really serious about stopping speeding, they wouldn't fine us, they'd just take our licence away. The same would apply to your boating regs, it would become another "revenue stream" for the enforcing/licencing authority, which would probably be Capita
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 15:09   #505
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Just how much do you think it costs to run a fixed penalty fine through the system? It's not administered/issued for free!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 15:13   #506

Quote:
So unless we have the idiots, we won't be able to pay for the enforcement, ergo, we need the idiots. You've obviously thought that one through The same applies to speed cameras, the authorities DON'T want us to stop speeding, otherwise their 10 grand speed cameras would be white elephants, if they were really serious about stopping speeding, they wouldn't fine us, they'd just take our licence away. The same would apply to your boating regs, it would become another "revenue stream" for the enforcing/licencing authority, which would probably be Capita
It is clear from a number of posts on here we have already got the idiots, so we need this stopped, and when people behave responsibly, we wont need the enforcement as much, but there will be people who want to try to kill others, and that is why we need some enforcement to stop it.

You seem to think no rules, and asking people nicely will sort out the situation, or are you happy with the way things are now??

in your line of reasoning, we also dont need any drink driving laws, or any speed limits, or any laws at all, as they are all just a money generation scheme
Old 11 August 2013, 15:21   #507
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Having a few rules cant be all that bad, France has any number, and while probably too OTT, it does not stop a lot of people taking their boats there for holidays

Just out of curiosity, did you not post on a thread that you are there at the moment PD? must be hell to go on holiday to such a police state?

Being a British registered vessel, the local French regs don't apply to me, but being a professional seaman, you'd know that If I was a French vessel, I'd be restricted to 6miles offshore, I'd have to carry lifejackets but not use them, I'd pay an annual boat tax, I would have to pass a mickey mouse test & apply for a licence, my boat would have compulsory registration & be obliged to display my number, all that just for starters, there's loads more.
Oh! & there's no legal requirement to use a killcord in France, in-fact my French mate thinks it's odd when I do, which I do do, de da da da.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 11 August 2013, 15:23   #508
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
It is clear from a number of posts on here we have already got the idiots, so we need this stopped, and when people behave responsibly, we wont need the enforcement as much, but there will be people who want to try to kill others, and that is why we need some enforcement to stop it.

You seem to think no rules, and asking people nicely will sort out the situation, or are you happy with the way things are now??

in your line of reasoning, we also dont need any drink driving laws, or any speed limits, or any laws at all, as they are all just a money generation scheme
If I drink & drive, I lose my licence, the fine is incidental & in the big scheme of things negligible.
Old 11 August 2013, 15:26   #509

Quote:
Being a British registered vessel, the local French regs don't apply to me, but being a professional seaman, you'd know that If I was a French vessel, I'd be restricted to 6miles offshore, I'd have to carry lifejackets but not use them, I'd pay an annual boat tax, I would have to pass a mickey mouse test & apply for a licence, my boat would have compulsory registration & be obliged to display my number, all that just for starters, there's loads more.
Being a professional seaman I also know that within territorial waters of a port state, you are required to obey their laws, just as we do when we go to ports. just because we are bahamian flagged, does not mean we can have a piss up in saudi!

I am not advocating going the same way, just a means to give HM the power to stop people being pissed, and requireing the use of LJ and kill cords. You make it sound like I want to have a whole raft of legislation, just i suspect, to make it sound scary and big brotherish!
Old 11 August 2013, 15:46   #510

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
and Pikeys
Dear oh dear...