View Poll Results: Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance?
Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance 130 22.15%
Keep the current unregulated system with an emphasis on education 457 77.85%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 May 2013, 05:15   #451

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Early days yet though, it is only the preliminary report that has been released.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 06:42   #452

Town: Poole, Dorset UK
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
Sorry but I'm against gov regulations. Kill cord is a yes but I don't want another level of gov telling me what I can and cannnot do and at what age. I've been using power boats on my own since I was a young teen (13) and I don't want or need the gov to tell me or my children how to operate.
I agree with you in principle 100% However the advantage of a licence for PWC is it can be taken away from those who abuse the privilege.

Old 17 May 2013, 07:52   #453

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
If the bit about the mother with child on lap is true, and by the looks of the web sites, the wording of 'unnamed driver' does not rule this out, what do people propose for license now.

Assuming that the dead man was not driving, but it is deemed that he was owner and 'in charge', is he the one that should be licensed, his wife or, god forbid, the 4 year old with their hands on the wheel?
Old 17 May 2013, 08:11   #454

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
I agree with you in principle 100% However the advantage of a licence for PWC is it can be taken away from those who abuse the privilege.
And who will pay for the Issuing of the licence, the checking of it and the guy who takes it away if you're a bad boy (or girl)?

The list of certificates I need to race a powerboat is getting longer each year, I don't need or want any more thanks!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 09:37   #455

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
Thank you for posting the news stories, as they show a boat which should not have been run by anyone without experience. The urge for going fast is a dangerous game not for greenhorns. As the gentleman was prominent with the news, it was given much press coverage which started the kill switch debate.

Had the boat been kept under control, this tragedy would not have happened. I believe you have to look at more than the kill switch to uncover a cause for this accident. A kill switch would have possibly prevented the loss of life, but only after control of the boat was lost.

Should tilt switches be legislated next? Improper trim can cause loss of control at speed in many boats.

This boat is much different than anything I have used over the years as it is just short of a racing rig and not designed to be handled by an amateur. Using this incident as a cry for legislation is a stretch. It is like comparing a fighter aircraft to an airliner and saying both should have all occupants in harnesses at all times during flight. That would be overkill.

You cannot legislate anything enough to prevent all accidents. Look at the many laws regarding automobiles. Have they prevented people from being maimed and killed?

Creating mass hysteria was used by Hitler to create his dynasty, and politicians are very aware that people will throw out common sense with enough publicity on an event. I think this debate falls into that category. Human failure cannot be legislated out of existence.

Kill switches, trim switches or whatever device you want to mention are no value unless someone knows how to use them. It comes down to the responsibility of the person at the helm. Education is a wonderful thing.
Old 17 May 2013, 09:50   #456

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Quote:
Creating mass hysteria was used by Hitler to create his dynasty...
According to the Irrefutable 2nd Law of the Internet we now have to refrain from any further discussion, because the thread has descended to reductio ad Hitlerum.
Old 17 May 2013, 10:38   #457

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
Personal responsibility and education will aid in preventing further accidents of this type. No amount of legislation will change human nature I fear, and you are not 100% safe in your own bathtub.

My heart goes out to the family who suffered this loss. What an awful tragedy.
Old 17 May 2013, 10:40   #458

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
The same as a car, however you are paying through the nose on your insurance for the people that are still driving cars without license or insurance.

Legislation will not work on this !! 1. there are not any checks, 2. dealing with people that probably do not see the danger.
Old 17 May 2013, 10:44   #459

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post

This boat is much different than anything I have used over the years as it is just short of a racing rig and not designed to be handled by an amateur.
I know some very experienced amateurs.

you do not need to be paid to know how to handle a boat !!
Old 22 May 2013, 16:41   #460
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
This boat is much different than anything I have used over the years as it is just short of a racing rig and not designed to be handled by an amateur.
Not really - it'll be a fast boat, but that doesn't mean that the owner couldn't handle it. The issue is that something unexpected happened (i.e. the hull hooked) and a kill cord could have stopped the ensuing tradgedy from occuring.