View Poll Results: Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance?
Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance 130 22.15%
Keep the current unregulated system with an emphasis on education 457 77.85%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 May 2013, 15:50   #211

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnud View Post
All I am saying is that just because you have a licence dose not mean you can drive a boat. You talk about your near miss incidents but I bet you have had just as many near miss incidents when driving your car.

This is not narrow minded just my opinion.

I look forward to reading about your near miss which of course you would of reported to the relevant authority's.
Appologies if i was a bit aggresive in my response but you have to appreciate it from the point of view of the people that are well placed to see it all. Ask any ABP Pilot or VTSO about pleasure boaters and they will concur with what i have stated. Speak to the lads that crew the Harbour Master's launches or the skippers of ferries engaged on local routes and they too will agree that a minimim qualification is needed.

Im sorry but there is a real issue out there of the standards dropping.

As for a commercial vessel reporting a near miss with a pleasure boater.... Sorry but that shows how naive people are to the problem.

Who would we report them too anyway the MAIB??, VTS? The HArbour Master

If it only happened once in a blue moon then yeah, we could justify the time and effort to do it and i'm sure the relevent authorities would listen attentively but unfortunately we're way past that now.
If we as a company, along with other commercial operators out there in the UK reported every incident, the MAIB and VTS's around the country would come to a grinding halt...

Welcome to the real world of pleasure boater/commercial shipping interaction.

If you want to read some of our classic near misses then do a search on here, i've posted a few good ones (with pictures) over the last few years. Shouldnt be too difficult to find them.

If it makes everyone feel any better i would say that a higher percentage of problems we experience are caused by WAFI's rather than powerboats/ribs..

Simon

Old 09 May 2013, 15:51   #212

Town: Lisbon
Boat name: No Limit
Make: Hydrosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I can pretty much assure you that someone else will die from an avoidable kill cord/prop related injury either way. Do you have some statistics on the number of accidents at sea in Portugal? Stats are hard to compare between countries because they are collected, defined and analysed differently but you seem to believe there are almost no leisure boat fatalities in Portugal which I find hard to believe. Per head of population portugal seems to have a higher rate of accidental drowning than the UK - based on WHO stats.

There are in fact very few boating related fatalities totally in Portugal. Simply because there is very little boating compared to e.g. the UK or Norway, specially high speed boating. A typically (average) portuguese boater goes out fishing in a peche-promenade type of boat.

Now, if you take fatalities pr. million hours use of boats, you will most likely end up with more drownings from falling over board or capsizings caused by waves/surf than in the UK.

Old 09 May 2013, 16:01   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Appologies if i was a bit aggresive in my response but you have to appreciate it from the point of view of the people that are well placed to see it all. Ask any ABP Pilot or VTSO about pleasure boaters and they will concur with what i have stated. Speak to the lads that crew the Harbour Master's launches or the skippers of ferries engaged on local routes and they too will agree that a minimim qualification is needed.

As for a commercial vessel reporting a near miss with a pleasure boater.... Sorry but that shows how naive people are to the problem.

If it only happened once in a blue moon then yeah, we could justify the time and effort to do it and i'm sure the relevent authorities would listen attentively but unfortunately we're way past that now.
If we as a company, along with other commercial operators out there in the UK reported every incident, the MAIB and VTS's around the country would come to a grinding halt...

If you want to read some of our classic near misses then do a search on here, i've posted a few good ones (with pictures) over the last few years. Shouldnt be too difficult to find them.

If it makes everyone feel any better i would say that a higher percentage of problems we experience are caused by WAFI's rather than powerboats/ribs..

Simon
Incidentally before i get lambasted any further I actually voted against mandatory qualification in the Rib.net poll.

I did this because i do agree that at the moment a mandatory qualfication is probably a step too far. As i have mentioned already in this thread though, I would like to see a gov't funded basic 'sea safety' certificate issued by the MCGA and would hope this would also cover the basic rules of the road.

Simon
Old 09 May 2013, 16:04   #214

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post

Simon
So do you believe that compulsory certification would change the situation ? If so, why? This month so far 20 people have completed courses through my centre . All of them have chosen to be trained because they want to be safe. They are told that we can't turn them into experts in 2 days, but they also have to work as well.
Old 09 May 2013, 16:15   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger View Post
So do you believe that compulsory certification would change the situation ? If so, why? This month so far 20 people have completed courses through my centre . All of them have chosen to be trained because they want to be safe. They are told that we can't turn them into experts in 2 days, but they also have to work as well.
Hi

I think you were probably typing your response as i posted my last one which went in just before yours

It answers your question.

Simon
Old 09 May 2013, 16:18   #216

Town: Port Solent
Boat name: Wild Thing
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Honda 150 Vtec
MMSI: 235016672
I have gone over to the dark side and sold my rib and brought a sailing boat, however when ribbing I always used to clip the kill cord around a loop on my lifejacket. Worked for me.
Old 09 May 2013, 16:23   #217

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonstie View Post
I have gone over to the dark side and sold my rib and brought a sailing boat, however when ribbing I always used to clip the kill cord around a loop on my lifejacket. Worked for me.
You were lucky then!
Old 09 May 2013, 16:24   #218

Town: portskerra
Boat name: orca
Make: osprey
Engine: twin suzuki DT40
MMSI: 235029499
Just watching "Squid vs Whale" on Natgeo wild.
A small inflatable boat with 6 people in it including camera man and sound man, no one had life jackets on, no kill cord the boat was hit by a sperm whale nearly knocking everyone out of the boat.
If the so called experts, Qualified captain on the support boat, can't get it right with the so called licences whats the use of taxing the public anymore for their hobbies.
Old 09 May 2013, 16:30   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger View Post
Actually, while we're there, how many of those 20 people had already bought a boat and used it before comming to you guys?

The reason i ask is that i started boating back in 1990 when i bought a very basic old Glastron speedboat with a blueband Merc on it.....
obviously it needed to be fitted out with the all the necessay equipment prior to setting sail so a car stereo and some Pye speakers were duly installed

I then started blasting around the Solent without a care in the world

I look back now and cringe at how ignorant i was and am thankfull that i never had any major incidents.

The point is, how many people out there still start this way? Only after a certain amount of time later, decide to get some form of qualification?

Simon
Old 09 May 2013, 16:34   #220

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
The qualification isn't necessary, the competency is....

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote