Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
Interesting, sounds complicated.
Nah! Reads worse than it is. Another excuse to go tearing about all over the ocean on a nice day.

Getting rid of Deviation as much as possible IS important though. After all, your brand new chart plotter could fail at the same time that your crew stands on the old GPS which you've kept as a backup, and the pocket GPS that you use when climbing mountains just runs out of battery and suddenly the fog comes down so thick you can't see a hand in front of you - and then where would you be if you hadn't sorted your Deviation? Lost, that's where you'd be.

Follow the instructions posted earlier and you can be very, very smug - and NOT lost.

Old 19 November 2009, 06:27   #22

Town: Ireland
Make: Lodestar 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
How accurate is the correction given that you are only correcting coefficient permanant B & coefficient C?

Old 19 November 2009, 06:40   #23

Town: Ardfern
Quote:
How accurate is the correction given that you are only correcting coefficient permanant B & coefficient C?
Accurate enough.

No room for soft iron balls and Flinders bar and the thingy underneath for heeling error if you fancy some sailing. No degaussing coils, no rivets to bang, no steel to weld.

Nah! It'll do me as it is.
Old 19 November 2009, 07:17   #24

Town: Ireland
Make: Lodestar 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Tks,

Ill give it a go. my compass is low on directive force, it moves about when someone walks past it even!
Old 19 November 2009, 07:33   #25
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
No room for soft iron balls
Indeed. In any case, the Ribnet general spec. is Steel. Brass for the colder months.
Old 19 November 2009, 09:22   #26

Quote:
Tks,

Ill give it a go. my compass is low on directive force, it moves about when someone walks past it even!
Mmmm! Perhaps your friends have magnetic personalities. Could try giving them some iron balls.

Best of luck with the compass.
Old 19 November 2009, 16:00   #27

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Thanks for the info. Is that an Offshore 90, 105 or 135?

Puffin
I think it's a 105. I had a look on the boat's invoice tonight and it appears I wasn't charged for it!
Old 19 November 2009, 17:02   #28

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
The Plastimo Offshore 105 is ideal for RIBs. We have one and it works extremely well. They're a bit pricey and you need space because they're quite large. If I remember correctly, they have a plate in the base to reduce the affect of electrical items in the console.

I've navigated from Needles to Alderney and back using just the compass and the navigation was spot on!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 12:26   #29

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
we have the compass on the consol next to gps sounder rev counter etc and have no problems with it, and we use it on courses to show the leading lights agree with the chart and to run at least 1 leg of a trip. Wave things about near the compass before fitting them both turned on and off to guage any effect, and check the effect of your steering as the wheel is turned. Our compasses have always been ok unadjusted, we got into more of a problem adjusting them than just leaving it as bought.
The level 2 course syllabus says "can use steering compass" and so we teach it here on L2 courses.
How come then I can go to run instructor courses and find candidates with L2 certs who have never been shown how to steer to a compass, let alone have the capability of teaching it??
Old 22 November 2009, 20:31   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
we have the compass on the consol next to gps sounder rev counter etc and have no problems with it, and we use it on courses to show the leading lights agree with the chart and to run at least 1 leg of a trip. Wave things about near the compass before fitting them both turned on and off to guage any effect, and check the effect of your steering as the wheel is turned. Our compasses have always been ok unadjusted, we got into more of a problem adjusting them than just leaving it as bought.
The level 2 course syllabus says "can use steering compass" and so we teach it here on L2 courses.
How come then I can go to run instructor courses and find candidates with L2 certs who have never been shown how to steer to a compass, let alone have the capability of teaching it??
It's a mystery, Dave. I've had several Coastal Skipper candidates who couldn't sail my boat because it didn't have electronic thingies to tell you which way the wind was blowing. They had to rely on a burgee, bits of cotton on the stays and the wind in their face. How did they get through Comp Crew, let alone Day skipper?? I used to tell them, if other stuff was ok, that I'd sign them off if they went on a two day dinghy sailing course to learn how to sail.

Oh! Yes. Back to compasses. Your experience similar to mine. I suspect modern electronics use so little power that the magnetic fields they create are very weak indeed. Loudspeakers are probably another matter.