Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 January 2010, 09:52   #1
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Comms problem, would you still go out?

I was due in Jersey last week and planned to take the RIB as there was a weather window, on getting ready to leave the harbour I did a radio check and was told that the signal was weak; at this point I could throw a tennis ball at the HM radio mast so I thought this was a bit odd.

I went back onto the mooring and checked the wiring, found a chafed area of coax and patched it. Did another radio check and all was well, so I off I sets...

Less than a mile out I called into the shop for a chat and the VHF set shut down all together.

I still had my handheld radio and mobile, but the trip south involves being at least 15nm from any manned coastal radio station.

What would you have done? Turn round, or press on?
__________________

__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2010, 10:00   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 709
press on
__________________

__________________
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2010, 11:05   #3
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
You could have filed a passage plan with the coast gaurd or someone on the mainland and then phoned them at a pre determined time to inform them you'd got home or arrived at your destination? This is what I'd have done.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2010, 11:14   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,445
A difficult one to call from over here. Would depend on a lot of factors;

Familiarity with route
Experience of crew
Weather
Other boat traffic around
Tides
Reserve engine

Having said all that, at this time of year I think I would have turned round as survival times in the water are very short at these temperatures
__________________
250kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2010, 11:42   #5
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
gone, filed a plan with eta and went
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2010, 12:00   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,815
hand held should still be able to communicate with a high aerial of a coast station. Dont rely on "filing a passage plan" too much as a safety measure-they aint gonna come looking for you just because they dont get a call in to say you have arrived. Despite best intentions people forget all the time-especially when the harbourside pub beckons. Still a good idea but not a substitute for telling your reliable shoreside contact of your intentions.
__________________
Dave M
www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2010, 14:27   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Done that trip many times .

To my mind it's all just a matter of balancing risk and necessity (I'd always have the handheld and a mobile for reserve).

If it was good conditions and there was no rush, I'd press on. Even with a fixed VHF set Alderney Radio quite often can't hear you round the back of the island, so you'd be relying on Jersey or Guernsey anyway.

If the conditions were iffy and the trip wasn't that important I'd probably turn back and try and get it sorted before setting off again. I'm always nervous going to sea with equipment that I don't have complete faith in.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2010, 16:40   #8
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Thanks all for the comments, to answer one specific post....

Familiarity with route - Very
Experience of crew - Single handed
Weather - Good but with F9 forecast "soon"
Other boat traffic around - Zero to few
Tides - Middling
Reserve engine - None
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2010, 16:48   #9
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
If it was good conditions and there was no rush, I'd press on. Even with a fixed VHF set Alderney Radio quite often can't hear you round the back of the island, so you'd be relying on Jersey or Guernsey anyway.
There was no rush, other than a tight weather window. Alderney Radio were shutting and then staying shut for a few days, but then like you I tend to call in to Jersey CG soon after departure anyway.

I could have made the call the Jersey by phone, but as has been pointed out they have no obligation to look for me if I over run. First and foremost in my mind was that if I had a major problem and only had a few seconds in which to make contact, no fixed set would have been a real disadvantage in mid-winter.

In any of the other three seasons there are usually plenty of other boats about and an urgent call on Ch 16 would have a solid chance of being heard, this time of year I doubt anyone would have noticed a small RIB in trouble.

For this reason I buckled and got a lift to the airport. It was vital that I make the trip and to be frank turning back would not have been on my todo list, either I leave in confidence or let the plane take the strain.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2010, 17:41   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,005
I think you did the right thing by turning back; I would have. Having said that, I've done at least two risky things myself in the last year or so. The first was to bring my new RIB back to Jersey on my own and in a F5 simply to avoid paying impotation tax that was to be introduced the next day. The second occurred during one of my trips to Mont St. Michel in the summer when on a falling tide just south of Tombelaine my depth sounder packed up. I think you'd have to go there to realise just how exposed this makes you feel. But, rather than turn back I carried on. And why? I had promised my wife a box of Mere Poulard's buttery biscuits. Given that lame rationale I deserved to get neaped for a month.

Maybe we should start a confessional thread of the riskiest / daftest things we've done at sea.

www.flickr.com/photos/gj0kyz
__________________

__________________
GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.