Old 03 January 2010, 13:52   #1

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Comms problem, would you still go out?

I was due in Jersey last week and planned to take the RIB as there was a weather window, on getting ready to leave the harbour I did a radio check and was told that the signal was weak; at this point I could throw a tennis ball at the HM radio mast so I thought this was a bit odd.

I went back onto the mooring and checked the wiring, found a chafed area of coax and patched it. Did another radio check and all was well, so I off I sets...

Less than a mile out I called into the shop for a chat and the VHF set shut down all together.

I still had my handheld radio and mobile, but the trip south involves being at least 15nm from any manned coastal radio station.

What would you have done? Turn round, or press on?
Old 03 January 2010, 14:00   #2

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
press on
Old 03 January 2010, 15:05   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
You could have filed a passage plan with the coast gaurd or someone on the mainland and then phoned them at a pre determined time to inform them you'd got home or arrived at your destination? This is what I'd have done.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2010, 15:14   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
A difficult one to call from over here. Would depend on a lot of factors;

Familiarity with route
Experience of crew
Weather
Other boat traffic around
Tides
Reserve engine

Having said all that, at this time of year I think I would have turned round as survival times in the water are very short at these temperatures
Old 03 January 2010, 15:42   #5

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
gone, filed a plan with eta and went
Old 03 January 2010, 16:00   #6

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
hand held should still be able to communicate with a high aerial of a coast station. Dont rely on "filing a passage plan" too much as a safety measure-they aint gonna come looking for you just because they dont get a call in to say you have arrived. Despite best intentions people forget all the time-especially when the harbourside pub beckons. Still a good idea but not a substitute for telling your reliable shoreside contact of your intentions.
Old 04 January 2010, 18:27   #7

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Done that trip many times .

To my mind it's all just a matter of balancing risk and necessity (I'd always have the handheld and a mobile for reserve).

If it was good conditions and there was no rush, I'd press on. Even with a fixed VHF set Alderney Radio quite often can't hear you round the back of the island, so you'd be relying on Jersey or Guernsey anyway.

If the conditions were iffy and the trip wasn't that important I'd probably turn back and try and get it sorted before setting off again. I'm always nervous going to sea with equipment that I don't have complete faith in.
Old 04 January 2010, 20:40   #8

Thanks all for the comments, to answer one specific post....

Familiarity with route - Very
Experience of crew - Single handed
Weather - Good but with F9 forecast "soon"
Other boat traffic around - Zero to few
Tides - Middling
Reserve engine - None
Old 04 January 2010, 20:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
If it was good conditions and there was no rush, I'd press on. Even with a fixed VHF set Alderney Radio quite often can't hear you round the back of the island, so you'd be relying on Jersey or Guernsey anyway.
There was no rush, other than a tight weather window. Alderney Radio were shutting and then staying shut for a few days, but then like you I tend to call in to Jersey CG soon after departure anyway.

I could have made the call the Jersey by phone, but as has been pointed out they have no obligation to look for me if I over run. First and foremost in my mind was that if I had a major problem and only had a few seconds in which to make contact, no fixed set would have been a real disadvantage in mid-winter.

In any of the other three seasons there are usually plenty of other boats about and an urgent call on Ch 16 would have a solid chance of being heard, this time of year I doubt anyone would have noticed a small RIB in trouble.

For this reason I buckled and got a lift to the airport. It was vital that I make the trip and to be frank turning back would not have been on my todo list, either I leave in confidence or let the plane take the strain.
Old 04 January 2010, 21:41   #10

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I think you did the right thing by turning back; I would have. Having said that, I've done at least two risky things myself in the last year or so. The first was to bring my new RIB back to Jersey on my own and in a F5 simply to avoid paying impotation tax that was to be introduced the next day. The second occurred during one of my trips to Mont St. Michel in the summer when on a falling tide just south of Tombelaine my depth sounder packed up. I think you'd have to go there to realise just how exposed this makes you feel. But, rather than turn back I carried on. And why? I had promised my wife a box of Mere Poulard's buttery biscuits. Given that lame rationale I deserved to get neaped for a month.

Maybe we should start a confessional thread of the riskiest / daftest things we've done at sea.

www.flickr.com/photos/gj0kyz
Old 04 January 2010, 21:45   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Good call.

Old 05 January 2010, 08:00   #12

if you trust your boat and it's well maintained i still would have gone, there is always a chance of something breaking, but people would know you were coming and going, still had hand held and mobile plus shipping lane. it's difficult because everybody has a different mindset about there boat and long passages, my boat is set up for long range stuff and i'll jump in it, just like a car and go anywhere, other boats are just for coastal stuff, i remember talking to alan priddy one day about his round the world in a rib, he said you can sea trail your boat all you like but something will break when you least expect it, but think of how many hours you're boats done without missing a beat and covert that to sea miles, mines done over 1000hrs, even at half speed that is over 20,000 sea miles, your 4 hour hop would be a no brainer for me
Old 05 January 2010, 08:07   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
For me I'd be back in harbour - mainly due to the temperature this time of year and the forecast F9. Things 'probably ' would be OK - but if you had gone in , climbed back in the boat the cold gets to you very very quickly etc etc.

Mind you if you dont do a radio check you would never have known anyway !
Old 05 January 2010, 08:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
.... think of how many hours you're boats done without missing a beat and covert that to sea miles, mines done over 1000hrs, even at half speed that is over 20,000 sea miles, your 4 hour hop would be a no brainer for me
A no brainer indeed Biff mate, it is just that my no-brain said take a plane.

Since buying Dizzy in May we have put 1000 miles on her, she is a great boat and I have faith; but as Blackroady said the water is less than 10ºC at the moment and that makes for a long time in the cold waiting for a coaster to swing by.

My experience of handhelds is not great, I have an outstanding Standard Horizon which I use every day but there was a time when I was 6 miles off the south coast trying and failing to call Solent CG.

I guess the conclusion I am heading for here is that single handed, in winter, through open water, a working and checked fixed set is a critical element.

Having a PLB, or any other "send helicopter here" button would help of course.
Old 05 January 2010, 08:28   #15

that's the difference in boats and mindset in a nutshell, where i have spare clothes and tpa's even a clothes dryer, (engine runs at 80 degrees, lay the clothes on and done), going over the side is horrible but standing in my engine bay afterwards is lovely, people just think differently about situations, can you emagine christopher columbis having this discussion