Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 August 2012, 02:26   #1
DGS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23
Colwell Bay

Is there anywhere to moor up at Collwell Bay? I'm sure there were a couple of buoys about 100m out opposite the slipway but not sure if they're ok to tie-up to. Ideally would like to drop family off at shore with all the beach kit & then I could swim in. If not, where's the closest marina? Thanks for any advice.
__________________

__________________
DGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 03:42   #2
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGS
Is there anywhere to moor up at Collwell Bay? I'm sure there were a couple of buoys about 100m out opposite the slipway but not sure if they're ok to tie-up to. Ideally would like to drop family off at shore with all the beach kit & then I could swim in. If not, where's the closest marina? Thanks for any advice.
Yarmouth is the closest harbour.

Your right about the buoys but not sure if they're private.

Whenever I'm there I just leave my SIB at anchor.

There is a large rock pool there which isn't visible most of the time but it is marked by buoys so watch out for that.
__________________

__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 09:47   #3
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Chaps, (sorry to hijack thread)

I used to go to Colwell Bay as a kid and the wife and I were talking about going back there next year with the boat only a few days ago.

Do you know if the slip is still useable if staying at the lodges that are there, (Longbeach Self Catering Bungalows, Isle of Wight) and if its secure enough to leave boat on trailer by the lodges?????

Cheers

Matt.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 10:30   #4
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions
Chaps, (sorry to hijack thread)

I used to go to Colwell Bay as a kid and the wife and I were talking about going back there next year with the boat only a few days ago.

Do you know if the slip is still useable if staying at the lodges that are there, (Longbeach Self Catering Bungalows, Isle of Wight) and if its secure enough to leave boat on trailer by the lodges?????

Cheers

Matt.
I am lucky enough to have use of my parents holiday bungalow right next to longbeach.

Very secure and very safe and a lovely area.

The slip is usable but it's not sheltered and it's a steep slope.

Also you get a lot of people standing, sitting and just generally loitering on the slipway.

There are a couple of fellas who have a stall right on the slip, friendly and helpful guys who will give you a hand if you need it.

Watch out for Walden's ledge at low water between totland bay an colwel bay.
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 16:04   #5
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Cheers for the reply. Lucky sod having a bungalow there. From what i remember it was a lovely place and Im looking forward to going back at some point. I might go without boat first time as Im sure we will find lots of places to go first time round. Then we will have a better idea for the next trip.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 16:22   #6
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions
Cheers for the reply. Lucky sod having a bungalow there. From what i remember it was a lovely place and Im looking forward to going back at some point. I might go without boat first time as Im sure we will find lots of places to go first time round. Then we will have a better idea for the next trip.
Very lucky, and just to rub salt in to the wound we get cheap ferry tickets because we have a place there.

It is a lovely place.

If the tides out don't try doing what this spanner did!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-387672901.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	71288   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2458392207.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	71289  
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 14:35   #7
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieboi View Post
Very lucky, and just to rub salt in to the wound we get cheap ferry tickets because we have a place there.

It is a lovely place.

If the tides out don't try doing what this spanner did!
Alright Alright. Whatever......

Funnily enough we have just got back in from walking the dog and saw a jet ski abandoned on the sand having missed the tide and sand is too soft for a trailer. Still he only needs to wait a till Midnight to get enough water under him.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 15:53   #8
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions

Alright Alright. Whatever......

Funnily enough we have just got back in from walking the dog and saw a jet ski abandoned on the sand having missed the tide and sand is too soft for a trailer. Still he only needs to wait a till Midnight to get enough water under him.
Whoops, was that at Herne bay?
Was out in Minis yesterday and saw a few jet ski about and a few ribs.
We're very big tides so not surprised they got caught out.
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 17:33   #9
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Yep, it was in herne bay. We went out today but it was quite choppy. Still, hot and sunny though. Good news on colwell bay, I've convinced the wife its the way forward for next year.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 17:58   #10
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions
Yep, it was in herne bay. We went out today but it was quite choppy. Still, hot and sunny though. Good news on colwell bay, I've convinced the wife its the way forward for next year.
It's a lovely spot, you might want to get a rough idea on ferry prices especially if towing in can get pricey.
Travelling at silly hours lowers the cost though.
__________________

__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.