Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Collapsed bulb & oil delivery issue

Finally got the boat out for a run yesterday. All electronics run fine but the oil issue we experienced once last year and the fuel issue we have experienced since late 2011 both reared there heads leaving us in limp home mode though thankfully only for about a mile at the end.

Firstly: randomly, every so often the engine just dies, and the fuel bulb is completely collapsed and impossible to sort. Leave it a few minutes and it very slowly regains shape and after a bit of squeezing it eventually goes back to normal. I don't think it can be a breather issue because I unscrewed the filler cap when it was collapsed and there was no rush of air. I suspect therefore a random blockage in the fuel pipe....debris in the tank that's floating around maybe?

Secondly: at the end of the day having run for a good few hours the "no oil/low oil pressure" warning comes up again, limiting us to 1000 revs. This happened last year in cherbourg and the end result was that having been left for a week the dealer who looked at it saw nothing wrong and just filled up the oil tank (despite there being plenty of oil already he just wanted to charge something!). The oil bulb is rock hard always. I am going to have the oil filter changed and perhaps the oil pressure sensor too as I am pretty sure it is the case of the engine thinking it has no oil rather than not actually having any. If you shut it off then restart it gives you 20 seconds of normal running to any speed and it sounds absolutely fine. Any thoughts where to look?
Old 01 June 2013, 09:44   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Are you actually using oil from the tank? I'd change the fuel AND oil bulbs as a matter of course as well. It could easily be faults with them.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2013, 09:47   #3
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Are you actually using oil from the tank? I'd change the fuel AND oil bulbs as a matter of course as well. It could easily be faults with them.
Yep I brimmed it on thursday, and it went down by about an inch after about 30nm navigation yesterday. This is the second fuel bulb that has shown the same issue as it was changed half way through last season.
Old 01 June 2013, 10:25   #4
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
What brand bulb is it? It wouldn't be unusual to have one go wrong when it's not very old.

Old 01 June 2013, 10:56   #5
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
What brand bulb is it? It wouldn't be unusual to have one go wrong when it's not very old.
I'm not sure, I think it's genuine BRP. "Tempo" is the dodgiest brand isn't it?
Old 01 June 2013, 11:22   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
I'd go for Quicksilver if I was changing them-not had one fail yet, and they don't go hard as badly as other brands.

Personally I wouldn't use a Tempo

Old 01 June 2013, 12:29   #7

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
The fuel issues sound like it could be debris in the fuel pipe. I stripped out a pipe from my osprey last weekend and found it full of resin from the fuel tank that had collected at the fuel transducer barb.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2013, 14:38   #8
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
I thought this all would have been sorted because all the lines between the console and the engine were replaced.

I had originally said on here that the underdeck trunks were full of oil due to poor joins but when pressed I had no explanation where this was coming from. It was found that there were THREE joins in both the oil and fuel cable. Little plastic double bayonets wrapped in gaffa. The At least a gallon of XD50 was pumped out from the underdeck trunk where these had been leaking!!! It is a shame replacing with a single length of pipe as it should be has not cured the issues.
Old 01 June 2013, 14:40   #9
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
The fuel issues sound like it could be debris in the fuel pipe. I stripped out a pipe from my osprey last weekend and found it full of resin from the fuel tank that had collected at the fuel transducer barb.
I do seem to remember you made a post about the wrong resin being used and clogging up the pipe but I can't seem to find it?? perhaps I am mistaken.

The fuel pipe will be removed and probably replaced dependant on its condition. The blockage must be on the tank side of the bulb for sure.

Oil tank wise, replace oil filter and sensor is the only appropriate approach I think.
Old 01 June 2013, 16:09   #10

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
fuel pick up in the tank? blocked at the gauze filter inside the tank itself. (simply cos a colleague on here had exactly the same symptoms last month). Do you have a connection for a spare tank and if so is it ok on that tank
Old 01 June 2013, 19:09   #11
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
fuel pick up in the tank? blocked at the gauze filter inside the tank itself. (simply cos a colleague on here had exactly the same symptoms last month). Do you have a connection for a spare tank and if so is it ok on that tank
Problem is running on a 25 litre external tank would not last very long or prove much because the issue only occurs sporadically. Looking back over the log book (was first time out this season with all new fuel&oil lines) it happened nearly every time we went out last year. Going to have the pick up checked and replaced if necessary. If nothing wrong with it then we'll just have to drain the tank which is hardly a very attractive proposition!
Old 01 June 2013, 19:20   #12

Town: Fareham
At some point I'll remove my pick up tube and insert a longer one and manually remove all the crud in the bottom of the tank using a syphon pump or bulb.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2013, 19:57   #13

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Problem is running on a 25 litre external tank would not last very long or prove much because the issue only occurs sporadically.
but if you swop to it the next time the fault occurs it may point to where the problem is lurking but may also get you home at normal speed. Personally I detest underfloor tanks-sometimes neccesary but basically the spawn of the devil.
Old 01 June 2013, 22:02   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
Vacuum forming in tank or lines? Breather blocked?

Mate had sporadic fuel issues. Was the inner core of an old fuel line collapsing on itself though you have replaced yours. Bulb description similar.

After a while the vacuum would readjust and it would work. More power faster it would happen, so slow trip out of harbour ok. Blast across Solent....stop. 5 mins later work again.
Old 02 June 2013, 00:07   #15
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
but if you swop to it the next time the fault occurs it may point to where the problem is lurking but may also get you home at normal speed. Personally I detest underfloor tanks-sometimes neccesary but basically the spawn of the devil.
It is the oil issue that restricts speed. After five minutes of being dead the engine runs fine the rest of the trip. Doing something when the fault occurs is a good idea though...perhaps disconnecting the fuel line from the tank? But what would that prove? I don't know. We will see what comes up when the pickup is inspected. If nothing then the tank needs to be drained.
Old 02 June 2013, 06:26   #16

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I've come across this before as well with grp tanks so I'd recommend taking out the pick up pipe too.

Didn't GJ0KYZ have the same no oil warning issue, cured with a new sensor?

Sent from my portable speaking device using Rib.net
Old 02 June 2013, 12:58   #17

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Your fuel problem sounds vary similar to one I had on my previous rib. I traced the problem to debris which had worked its way up the fuel line to the first restriction it met which was the inlet barb on the filter. Check this if I were you.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2013, 16:08   #18
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Your fuel problem sounds vary similar to one I had on my previous rib. I traced the problem to debris which had worked its way up the fuel line to the first restriction it met which was the inlet barb on the filter. Check this if I were you.
Filter just replaced so should have cured that if the blockage had got that far. Having seen some of your older posts about it I have asked for the bulb to be moved between engine and filter not tank and filter. Really frustrating!
Old 02 June 2013, 17:36   #19

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
With the boat on the trailer why not remove the fuel conector that fits on the engine and fix another length of pipe to it and simply syphon the fuel off into cans .
You may see the same thing happen . My mate had similar problems last year and fuel line was breaking up inside and blocking the line , i guess the engine was sucking the bulb flat before it stopped.
Some time back i bought a boat with an etec and the demmo boat was constantly going into limp mode with no oil warnings . They sorted it with a laptop there and then and told me it something to do with the programming for which type of oil it was using as they can also burn normal oil at a higher rate then the xd50 ?? probably bull knowing that dealer but possible i guess ?
Old 02 June 2013, 18:07   #20

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post

Filter just replaced so should have cured that if the blockage had got that far.
The whole filter unit or just the element? I would pull the hose off the filter inlet and just check there's nothing wedged in there.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote