Old 14 March 2005, 12:21   #21

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Don't you just.........

...hate a smart arse Ever thought of putting in for a job as that Kung Fu bloke from the 70's Saturday night series of the same name - ahhh, grasshopper

Old 14 March 2005, 14:05   #22

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Please excuse me for airing one of my pet rants, but this may be a good place to do it. I am not having a pop at anyone. Honest.
What worries me is the reliance on GPS and Chart Plotters. They are Navigation aids. They are not a substitute for passage planning and real chartwork. If you are not very familiar with the area you are in, it is essential to study charts of the area, including any notes on them. A pilot book of the area is also good bedtime/toilet time reading and will bring any areas of concearn to your attention.

A plotter, when zoomed in, will give you a very detailed view of the immediate area and maybe a mile or two ahead, but they do not tell you what is lurking just off the screen. As you zoom out, you loose detail, therefore reducing your chance of seeing something important. It will not tell you of any hazards or by-laws unless you ask it, and if you do not know there are any, you won't ask.

Electronic gizmos are fantastic, however don't rely on them, use them to confirm what you already know.

Rant ends.

Old 14 March 2005, 15:28   #23

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Bruce I'm pleased you are all safe and the thread comments are good and generally supportive of you admitting your error, but I'm not so kind. I find it surprising that you would put yourself and your crew infront of a moving ship and that you thought 500mtr was ample sea room, especially after badbaws posts, on this forum, a wee while ago.

From your various posts, my impression of you is that you lack a bit of savvy and you've got yourself a full blown, capable sea boat without first gaining the experience and knowledge necessary to use it safely. Forgive me for saying it but as an illustration, you're out at night crossing the shipping lanes but you are still at the stage of having difficulty recovering your boat.

It's fine to say we all learn from mistakes, and so we do, but it's the seriousness of your mistake which alarms me.

Go out with Stu, study your almanac (I presume you do own one?), study your charts over and over, read the books, read the mags, set yourself limited trips (outside the shipping lanes) where you have to navigate and advance firmly but carefully. I'm not a great lover of the formal courses but if you learn well that way then get yourself some training.

You can punch me in the nose if we ever meet.

Cheers.
Old 14 March 2005, 15:31   #24

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Well said J but it should be aimed more at us than Bruce as he was following us at the time.
Old 14 March 2005, 15:45   #25

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0
Well said J but it should be aimed more at us than Bruce as he was following us at the time.
Well he shouldn't have been. As skipper, he's responsible for his actions.
Old 14 March 2005, 15:56   #26
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
You can punch me in the nose if we ever meet
oi jokkstrapp , de abuv itum iz orlreddy onn mi ajender forr nikkin mi trakter cabb.

an stopp pikkin onn dat broocy orr hell gett yew wiv hiz greese gunn wen heez lirnt ow to yewse de fkker.

dat simmonsp cann joyn mi ganng ifn hee wonts butt heel av to sharpin upp a bitt. hee ad too gows at wypin broocy owt an stil didunt finnish de jobb

gArf
Old 14 March 2005, 15:57   #27

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Go Rogue..

I am with Rogue on this one!!

Maybe everyone on this forum who has a boat and goes out should rate themselves as regards knowledge for ROR and the area the go and stuff..

Maybe tomorrow I will come up with a form!!
Alex
Old 14 March 2005, 16:53   #28

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Most of the Southmpton harbourmasters and a few of the Portsmouth pilots are buddies of mine and they are pretty cool guys, and not little hitlers! There is a big difference between ensuring the safety and security of the QM2 or 30,000 ton of crude oil plus the odd ill advised pleasure boat user and patrolling an imaginary line in Portsmouth harbourl
Sorry, Stuart - not going to bite on that one . Put me down for a trip on the Tug and we can spend 7 hours discussing the pros & cons of both sides of the coin.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2005, 19:11   #29

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Just chucking my 2p'th in!

It's all very well reading, doing courses etc. but nothing replaces actually doing it for real. You can read as much as you like and there will still be a publication that's considered necessary reading......but who tells you that?

At what point after courses and reading do you attempt a night crossing? For most of us it was probably when we spent a little longer than we anticipated enjoying ourselves.

Being a learner boater is not easy even if you do all the courses under the sun. How much have people learned that isn't written down, isn't discussed or even touched by a course that you've (for the more experienced here) learnt over the past 20 years!?

I've aquired most of my boating knowledge over the years mainly by experience, secondly by word of mouth, thirdly by courses, fourthly by reading.

Bruce, I'm glad everything turned out ok and I'm glad you had the bottle to post as it might encourage others to share their, shall we say less dignified experiences. Whilst I agree that you are a learner boater and your still learning, maybe a night trip wasn't a particularly good course of action with your limited experience.

Having said that.........I think some of you need to hark back to the days of your first time in your first boat! I bet quite a lot of you hadn't read everything or even knew all the rules of the road before embarking on your first boating adventure!

Rant over.....off to bed!
Old 14 March 2005, 22:14   #30

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribald
Sorry, Stuart - not going to bite on that one . Put me down for a trip on the Tug and we can spend 7 hours discussing the pros & cons of both sides of the coin.
Hi Peter You are welcome, but I'd rather spend the time talking about music!

For the record I do acknowledge and obey harbour regulations, and I accept there is a need for your patrols! From my experience however some of your colleagues model themselves on Mr Mackay from Porridge, and they don't help your cause at all!

|was just trying to ensure Bruce maintained respect for the ABP Harbour Masters which the little hitler comment and his experience may have eroded to some extent.

Going to sea in a rib really is easy it's the coming back that requires some thought and Bruce and Jo have a golden oppertunity to build themselves into better boaters after this experience, That's if JW ever lets em out of detention.

Maybe we should invite the CoastGuards or Harbour masters to the next Ribnet meeting and get a talk/Forum from em? My experience is they drink as freely as the rest of us when off duty!

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote