Town: poole
Boat name: opportunity
Make: avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard F80
MMSI: 235908047
Cobra ribs

Hi,
Can anyone give me any advice on the possible purchase of a second hand Cobra rib 755 or the 8m? I've read about the Padstow accident/ reports and would like to know if the Cobras are any different to any other powerful ribs of that size regarding hooking on really tight turns with the power on? I've spoken to an owner of a 755 who does at least 200 hours a year in all weathers and doesn't feel there's a particular problem with these ribs.
thanks
Old 26 October 2014, 19:48   #2

Length: 3m +
There was a design change so you'd probably want to know if it was before or after the change as MAIB thought the change may have been partially related.

I'd also want to consider if my engine was 'over powered' for what I need rather than over powered for its CE mark.

I'd want to have a control that had neutral lock.

Hope that makes sense...
Old 27 October 2014, 18:31   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
There is a video online of the MAIB test somewhere.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 18:37   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I'd also want to consider if my engine was 'over powered' for what I need rather than over powered for its CE mark.

Does the CE actually specify a hp? I thought that CE marking was a tad more ethereal than hard numbers

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 18:55   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Does the CE actually specify a hp? I thought that CE marking was a tad more ethereal than hard numbers

.....sh1t happens.......
The builder has to state a max HP to put a CE mark on it. His technical file should either determine this according to an established formula, or be validated with a series of (specified) practical tests.
Old 27 October 2014, 18:59   #6

RIBase
So it's the builder that specifies the max hp, not the CE spec.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 27 October 2014, 19:29   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
So it's the builder that specifies the max hp, not the CE spec.
The builder specifies it, but they can't (shouldn't?) just pluck a number out the sky - how they determine it is specified by the regs.
Old 27 October 2014, 20:03   #8

Quote:
The CE mark requires that the maximum power rating is marked on the hull.

The point being that a boat could be rated to 100HP on its CE plate. There are people on this forum who would put a 120HP on it and would be perfectly capable of using it without killing themsleves. Others would say the 100HP is over rated and 75HP is enough for normal use.

So if I was wanting to get maximum speed, pulling power, maximum capability and had a decent skill level I'd stick 120HP on it. But if I was only going to use it with the family for some nice beach runs on nice days I would say 75HP would do...

The risk is people try to fit the boat out to the plate...
Old 27 October 2014, 20:10   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The builder specifies it, but they can't (shouldn't?) just pluck a number out the sky - how they determine it is specified by the regs.

Right the reason I'm asking is that I've seen a few quotes on posts recently referring to the "CE rated hp" which would
Imply that the max hp for a given boat is dictated by the CE regs rather than the manufacturer. In reality the manufacturer can rate a boat at whatever he likes AS LONG AS HE CAN QUALIFY IT.

.....sh1t happens.......
Old 27 October 2014, 21:46   #10

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
I've had mine for 5 years. Mine is 9 years old, an 8.6 and "underpowered" with a meagre 275 on the back and has the softer profile hull. (There is one around with twin 275s!). Never had a hint of unruly handling. Predictable, safe and solid. Not the deepest v or the best ride but as a family orientated rib it is hard to fault. This is my 4th rib and I've owned, speedboats, muscle boats, sailing boats and a couple of Sunseekers over the last 45 years, so I have some experience and would know by now if it was unsafe. It's a good solid mid/upper tier rib with a touch of style.

Like everything it depends what you want it for. Wave jumping, probably not, comfortable cruising, with loads of storage, skiing, lazing about, and a decent turn of speed, definitely.
Old 28 October 2014, 07:31   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
I've had both the 8.6 m and 6.6 m,loved them both. 8.6 was an inboard and 6.6 had a F200 yamaha. Never had handling issues although they were both older hull designs. I know of one for sale with twin 225 Verados at a very good price,it's acceleration is very impressive it is a very stable boat to drive and is in very good condition.

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 28 October 2014, 13:41   #12

Thanks you guys for all your help! it looks to me as the reports suggests that the extended spray rails near the keel to the transom on the modified 2010 onwards boats may be a problem? I had a demo on a new 6.6m in 2012 with my family and was told by the owners son that with a 200 instead of the 150 it could hook in very fast tight turns but it would be unlikely that I would ever get to that point? I'm guessing that was the modified hull? Does anyone know if there's a significant difference between the Cobra 755 hulls compared to the 7.6 or 8m before 2010? Deeper V or more bow sheer, they look different.
Old 28 October 2014, 13:45   #13

Sorry Low Flyer I missed your message! The twin 225 might break the bank as I'm moving up from an Avon 560 with an F80
Old 28 October 2014, 14:36   #14

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
My personal feeling is the report over played the 'handling' of the Cobra hull in that accident.

My feeling is nearly any boat of that length and power needs a degree of respectful handling.

Cobras rarely have any horror stories (that I have ever heard) -, they look good, go well and seem to last well too. As said they aren't the ruff tough wanting to be a lifeboat/ commercial type and not the flat water lightly built spec at the other end of the spectrum . Generally all round good bits of kit
Old 28 October 2014, 14:56   #15

There are many hundreds of Cobra ribs, with thousands of hours with all sorts of engine combinations, hull lengths, options, used in very many different ways.

Any boat packing 300 hp deserves to be treated with a degree of respect, especially in tight manoeuvres. They can and will bite and with the sheer brute force of big outboard it can happen very quickly. If you are used to 80 hp in a 5.6 Avon (great boat btw I had one with 100 on the back) a degree of caution, get some experience and familiarity, combined with a sensible approach to safety and you will be just fine.

Find a good one, buy it and enjoy your time on the water.
Old 28 October 2014, 20:00   #16

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Engine: Mercury 350
I had an Avon 560 with a 100 hp Yamaha, lovely little boat but you will not believe the difference when you try a Cobra. I have had a 7.55m Cobra with a 250hp Yamaha which was an excellent combination and gave me many hours of fun and I never had any issues with regards to seakeeping. I now have the latest 8m with the worlds heaviest outboard, which incidentally is lighter than twin Yamaha 115s and much faster, but no one ever moans about engine weight when its a twin set up !! Back on topic, I'm too old to try and do wheelies and hand brake turns(or whatever the equivalent is in boating terms) in a boat, but if you want a good seakeeping boat in choppy water with a bit of luxury I think you could do a lot lot worse. I have often gone from Plymouth to Falmouth for a Sunday run, which is about 100 miles and in the various condition that you can encounter I have never had any handling issues. I have had power boats for over 40 years and started off with a 12ft scorpion with a penta 25hp outboards and circumnavigated Anglesey with only a road map for navigation. With regards to the report on the Padstow incident I felt that they were comparing the handling to the ultimate that physics would allow rather than compare to an average RIB. If you try to do sharp turns like jet skis can then you will come unstuck in any RIB. If you want a quality RIB for family use then you would be hard pressed to find a better package. Anyway good luck in your search and respect the sea.
Old 21 December 2015, 10:35   #17

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
I've been pondering Cobra ribs over a mid morn coffee.
My thoughts are, for what they're worth , Cobras are almost victims of their own appeal. They are Ribeyes for the better heeled. By that, they appeal to those who can afford a very nice comfortable rib, but may not have gotton there via the knackered Avon/Flatacraft route.
Those who did begin with knackered Avons, may not necessarily arrive at a Cobra.

Consequently, a disproportionate amount of Cobra owners have large powerful ribs with little experience. So the accidents that we all know of, are less a reflection on Cobra ribs, more on the people who own them.

Coffee over, I'll shut up now.
Old 21 December 2015, 19:21   #18

Can't / won't disagree with you Mollers.

Suspect that as it sounds like they are quite a good sea boat, people with limited experience may feel safer and so let down their Gaurd especially when conditions are benign
Old 21 December 2015, 21:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I've been pondering Cobra ribs over a mid morn coffee.
My thoughts are, for what they're worth , Cobras are almost victims of their own appeal. They are Ribeyes for the better heeled. By that, they appeal to those who can afford a very nice comfortable rib, but may not have gotton there via the knackered Avon/Flatacraft route.
Those who did begin with knackered Avons, may not necessarily arrive at a Cobra.

Consequently, a disproportionate amount of Cobra owners have large powerful ribs with little experience. So the accidents that we all know of, are less a reflection on Cobra ribs, more on the people who own them.

Coffee over, I'll shut up now.
I think that is true about most "toys", just because you can afford one doesn't mean you know how to use it. I've been around boats , power and sail for over 45 years, motorcycling for over 35 and had some pretty quick cars over the years, but I've always worked up to the powerful stuff. It's about control, and if you don't understand what is going on, trouble is never far away.
I have an 8.6 Cobra, my 8th powerboat. But the breed can attract more money than sense. When working on my boat one day I was asked what I thought of Cobra by a prospective purchaser. It was a first boat so I suggested something 5m with 80-100hp to see if they liked it. Next thing I know he turns with a 7.5m Cobra with 250 on the back. Needless to say after stuffing it off Old Harry flooding and wrecking the batteries, running aground and wrecking the prop and gearbox and generally scaring his family witless so they wouldn't go out anymore, it has been sold, fortunately no-one hurt just battered pride.
It really isn't the boat, it's the user and a good looking rib with a "leisure" slant feels almost like a quality car. Smooth, powerful and solid, until the conditions get the better of experience.
Old 22 December 2015, 10:57   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
All of the above might be true to an extent - but it might also be that there are proportionately more Cobras around than other brands?

Tags
rib