Old 14 January 2010, 20:48   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Cobra 10.5 "cabin" RIB

As seen at the London Boats Show, Cobra have a 10.5 outboard RIB with a pair of bunks in what would normally be the engine bay!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	48746   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	48747  
Old 15 January 2010, 05:30   #2
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Cobra have a 10.5 outboard RIB with a pair of bunks in what would normally be the engine bay!
My first thought was “what a top idea” proper beds in an open boat. Thinking outside the box etc. well done.

Then I looked a second time, and the practicality struck home with two of you in there and the lid shut at night. “one fart and you would both be dead”
Old 15 January 2010, 09:29   #3

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
the Cobra is hardly a "cabin rib"

I had to look twice and then try and work out what happens when you shut the lid -suppose smoking in bed is out!!
Old 15 January 2010, 17:07   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Having gone back to look at that Cobra 10.5 with two bunks in the stern locker!! Wow the cover is just like an engine bay cover with hydraulic piston to open this large cover. Very claustraphobic and would hate to have the cover down as there is only about a max of one/two foot clearance to the bunk. It does have a very small side sealed window 1foot by 6 inches!!!!
Good luck to them, they must have a market for it
Old 16 January 2010, 17:36   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Had a quick Chat with the guys on the Cobra stand about the 'Coffin' mentioned in this thread. They explained that you are not meant to sleep in the ex-engine compartment with the lid down.
The boat comes with an awning that attaches to the open lid and also encloses a section of the deck to provide a more comfortable arrangement. The middle section of the bench seat is also removeable to provide walk in access. Why this isn't made more clear on the stand I don't know.
Old 18 January 2010, 12:41   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: Stingher & Redbay
Length: 9m +
Saw the Cobra 10.5m Cabin Rib? at the show. Much like everyone else it does appear very claustrophobic.

When the lid drops down it must akin to being in a COFFIN.

Whoops !!!
Old 18 January 2010, 14:16   #7

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdPed View Post
Saw the Cobra 10.5m Cabin Rib? at the show. Much like everyone else it does appear very claustrophobic.

... and it occurred to me if you are going to pay that much for rib, do you really want to slum it in the engine compartment

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 15:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
... and it occurred to me if you are going to pay that much for rib, do you really want to slum it in the engine compartment
One things for certain, you would need to know someone fairly well to spend a night in there.
I would think it would get quite damp as there appeared to be no insulation in there.

We have a new Stingher 9.5m Cabin Rib out now which has a full height cabin (in the bow) which is two/three berth fitted with Stand up shower, sea toilet, cooker, stainless steel sink, electric fridge, dining area for eight people in the stern, electric windlass, mood lighting, LED Deck lights, ipod player with DVD player, shore power, etc which works out at £92,000 inc vat with a single engine. However it can take a twin engine installation.

Looks cheap against the COFFIN at £115,000 !! and you don't need to be one of the 7 dwarfs to stand up in it.

If you want pictures e-mail me at sales@mrl-uk.com and I will send a few through
Old 18 January 2010, 16:11   #9

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
One things for certain...
...a trade membership is needed
Old 18 January 2010, 16:33   #10

Quote:

Whoops !!!
As I mentioned in my post, you're not supposed to sleep in there with the lid down. Read my post and you'll see.

Oh and about that trade membership, seeing as you're taking every oppertunity to mention the boats you have for sale.

Nasher.
Old 18 January 2010, 16:45   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
One things for certain, you would need to know someone fairly well to spend a night in there.
I would think it would get quite damp as there appeared to be no insulation in there.

We have a new Stingher 9.5m Cabin Rib out now which has a full height cabin (in the bow) which is two/three berth fitted with Stand up shower, sea toilet, cooker, stainless steel sink, electric fridge, dining area for eight people in the stern, electric windlass, mood lighting, LED Deck lights, ipod player with DVD player, shore power, etc which works out at £92,000 inc vat with a single engine. However it can take a twin engine installation.

Looks cheap against the COFFIN at £115,000 !! and you don't need to be one of the 7 dwarfs to stand up in it.

If you want pictures e-mail me at sales@mrl-uk.com and I will send a few through
Shearwater are developing a 10m version I hear ..... no coffin needed & probably quite good looking and I'd imagine similar price/ market........
Old 18 January 2010, 22:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
As I mentioned in my post, you're not supposed to sleep in there with the lid down. Read my post and you'll see.

Oh and about that trade membership, seeing as you're taking every oppertunity to mention the boats you have for sale.

Nasher.
Sorry Nasher, I did not read your report on the Rib prior to the thread. Like yourself I visited the stand and was in conversation with Steve and his son of Cobra Ribs when Dave Picton came over to wish me a Happy New Year.

Steve showed us both round the Rib and did not mention anything about a canvas extention or awning to the Coffin lid.

It does now sound a bit more logical, but I cannot imagine too many people giving £115K who would want to sleep in a tent when there are better and more comfortable alternatives, in some cases at a reasonable amount less money.

With regard to trade membership I was not aware of the requirement having already registered on the trade directory. However you are right and I can now confirm that I have paid my subsciption in full. Hope it has not offended you too much.

I see you are localish to Southampton so give me a call and come down a visit the Dry Stack and have a coffee some time.

Regards

Ed - MRL www.mrl-uk.com
Old 18 January 2010, 22:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
...a trade membership is needed
Dear Leapy

Did not realise the need for trade membership, however I have now enrolled and paid up in full.

regards

Ed - MRL www.mrl-uk.com
Old 19 January 2010, 04:22   #14

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
I have now enrolled and paid up in full
Old 19 January 2010, 11:36   #15

Ed

Hi.

Apologies if I sounded a bit stroppy about the trade membership.

It’s because we all enjoy this site so much, and like to protect the interests of our illustrious leader, so it continues to be the great resource it is.
It’s also unfair on those traders that have paid up.

Personally I find the contributions of the trade members are always very interesting and welcomed, yet are never too intrusive with regard to opportune marketing.

Please accept a belated welcome to the community.

I’m not sure who I spoke to on the Cobra stand, but I pointed out how claustrophobic it would be, and the deck tent/canopy/removable seat section was explained in detail.
If I’m honest I didn’t really like the rest of the boat, but that’s just personal style choice.

I’ll take you up on your offer of a coffee sometime, as I’m a very social chap really, and am always happy to talk about boats.

Why not come and join us at one of the Solent Beer and Banters sometime!

Nasher.
Old 19 January 2010, 13:31   #16

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post

Then I looked a second time, and the practicality struck home with two of you in there and the lid shut at night. “one fart and you would both be dead”
Trust a 'Fifer' to come up with that deadly scenario!!
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote