Old 02 October 2002, 23:53   #1

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Coastal Skipper

With all this talk of PB courses and instructors it got me thinking.

To be a mate on the PoB you have to have a coastal skipper/yachtmaster ticket - just one of the ships orders....

Now I had been thinking of doing it this winter either at nightschool - 12 weeks or something - or as an intensive 6 Saturdays.

However with all my work commitments - and wanting to play at the weekends I figure I'm not going to make that.

My boss has now started nagging me that I still have a load of holiday to take before Xmas so it occoured to me why not go and do a 5 day practical Coastal Skipper?

So - does anyone know of schools that do these at this time of year? - anybody done one?

cheers
Jools
Old 03 October 2002, 00:30   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Jools,

I did the Day Skipper theory last winter as a semi-intensive (three alternate weekends) and then the Day Skipper practical (four days afloat) in March. The RYA web site or NFSS (National Federation of Sea Schools) are good starting places for looking for centres. I did my theory at Bisham Abbey Sailing School in Marlow, Bucks, a good place but not much good to you if you're the other side of Bristol.

Have a look at:
http://www.rya.org.uk/training/rtes.asp

For the Coatstal Skipper with commercial endorsement you're supposed to have 30 days at sea, 2 days as a skipper, 800 miles logged and 12 night hours. But here's the catch. The RYA/DOT definition of a day at sea is a 24hour period afloat, with time ashore for shopping, pub, etc, but spending the night on the vessel. I don't know if you're allowed to sneak off to a hotel or camp site whilst the boat stays in a marina!

Good luck with it,
Rich.

Just had a thought - lots of the yotties fly off to the med to do their courses over the winter, and some of the sailing schools over there also do motor cruising courses. No reduction in quality by doing it at a sailing school either, they often have a dedicated motor cruiser trainer, and even if they dont, the yotties are just as good a laugh as ribsters. NFSS again for this. I got lots of info about this at Earls Court last January, so I can hunt arounnd for it if you want.
Old 03 October 2002, 02:01   #3

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Not quite what you asked, but...

...there is a teaching establishment that will do Day Skipper & Yacht Master Theory online.

http://www.cmonline.co.uk

I am doing my YM at the moment - suits me fine. Takes 7 weeks, but you can extend this is you want.

I quite fancy the practical so if you fancy teaming up?