Old 04 September 2008, 04:30   #1

Town: Chudleigh, Devon
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25hp
Coastal maps with estuarys and rivers

Hi All,

Being new to having a RIB to mess about in I am keen to do a bit of exploring along our coastline launching from Teignmouth (Devon). When I took my ICC part of the course involved going up rivers from the sea to a couple of nice pubs. Obviously our instructor knew the area and what to watch out for where we went, but if I am going places I have never been how can I find out where is safe, what to beware of etc. Are there such a thing as inshore waters maps or anything similar? I don't know anyone locally with the knowledge so a bit stuck!

Thanks

Old 04 September 2008, 05:02   #2

Town: Falmouth.
Boat name: Stingray.
Make: Predator.
Length: 6m +
Engine: Out, petrol, 2x90hp.
I use electronic charts, they go all the way up the estuaries until they stop being tidal.

Old 04 September 2008, 05:04   #3

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
A GPS with map function is what most people use, I use bluecharts with a garmin gps, shows depth, obstacles, buoys.....
Old 04 September 2008, 05:39   #4

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
If you are starting completely from scratch here you might want to invest in a book that explains some of the basics of navigation. The RYA Powerboat book is worth reading http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/products/Pages/g13.aspx.

Nautical charts (which are the marine equivalent of a land map) show the sea and coastline, with depths, obstacles and navigation marks all identified. You can get these for large areas or just local bits of coast/estuary at different scales. Your local chandlers will have lots of them!

Or as others have suggested, you could invest in a GPS chartplotter, also available from your chandlers. These are like a car sat-nav, but they show a marine chart rather than a road map, with you boat's position plotted on the chart as you cruise around. A bit pricey but VERY useful.
Old 04 September 2008, 06:34   #5

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Quote:
Originally Posted by webselect View Post
Hi All,

Being new to having a RIB to mess about in I am keen to do a bit of exploring along our coastline launching from Teignmouth (Devon). When I took my ICC part of the course involved going up rivers from the sea to a couple of nice pubs. Obviously our instructor knew the area and what to watch out for where we went, but if I am going places I have never been how can I find out where is safe, what to beware of etc. Are there such a thing as inshore waters maps or anything similar? I don't know anyone locally with the knowledge so a bit stuck!

Thanks
Without wishing to sound like a nerd, shouldn't your PB2, precursor to ICC have covered chartwork????
Old 04 September 2008, 07:22   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I think the Admiralty charts also come in a slightly reduced (like they're A2(3?) instead of A0 size) and printed on supposedly waterproof paper.

Not tried them in anger, but I know a couple of people who keep them aboard for when / if the GPS falls over.
Old 04 September 2008, 12:52   #7

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Quote:
Without wishing to sound like a nerd, shouldn't your PB2, precursor to ICC have covered chartwork????
That's just what I was thinking, but it seems Webselect's tutuor was more interested in going to the nice pubs up the river!
Old 04 September 2008, 16:17   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
For close in work in small boats charts aren't much good - OS maps and Google Earth are the best!!!

If you have a PDA you can use the maps and nautical charts linked to a gps.
Old 04 September 2008, 16:45   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
For close in work in small boats charts aren't much good - OS maps and Google Earth are the best!!!
Neither of which will show water depth or known underwater obstructions (such as wreck, sanbanks or rocks if they don't dry). nor will they include such things as underwater cables or pipelines if you want to use an anchor.

Beware with electronic charts they may not always go to the maximum detail possible on a paper chart.

for the OP - can I suggest yachting pilot books (as well as charts) if they are available for the area.
Old 04 September 2008, 18:55   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Neither of which will show water depth or known underwater obstructions (such as wreck, sanbanks or rocks if they don't dry). nor will they include such things as underwater cables or pipelines if you want to use an anchor.

Beware with electronic charts they may not always go to the maximum detail possible on a paper chart.

for the OP - can I suggest yachting pilot books (as well as charts) if they are available for the area.
I know that but charts will show an area like a beach for example as just one smooth area when the OS maps will show the rock outcrops so you can thread between them!!!