Old 04 September 2008, 08:30   #1

Town: Chudleigh, Devon
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25hp
Coastal maps with estuarys and rivers

Hi All,

Being new to having a RIB to mess about in I am keen to do a bit of exploring along our coastline launching from Teignmouth (Devon). When I took my ICC part of the course involved going up rivers from the sea to a couple of nice pubs. Obviously our instructor knew the area and what to watch out for where we went, but if I am going places I have never been how can I find out where is safe, what to beware of etc. Are there such a thing as inshore waters maps or anything similar? I don't know anyone locally with the knowledge so a bit stuck!

Thanks
Old 04 September 2008, 09:02   #2

Town: Falmouth.
Boat name: Stingray.
Make: Predator.
Length: 6m +
Engine: Out, petrol, 2x90hp.
I use electronic charts, they go all the way up the estuaries until they stop being tidal.
Old 04 September 2008, 09:04   #3

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
A GPS with map function is what most people use, I use bluecharts with a garmin gps, shows depth, obstacles, buoys.....
Old 04 September 2008, 09:39   #4

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
If you are starting completely from scratch here you might want to invest in a book that explains some of the basics of navigation. The RYA Powerboat book is worth reading http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/products/Pages/g13.aspx.

Nautical charts (which are the marine equivalent of a land map) show the sea and coastline, with depths, obstacles and navigation marks all identified. You can get these for large areas or just local bits of coast/estuary at different scales. Your local chandlers will have lots of them!

Or as others have suggested, you could invest in a GPS chartplotter, also available from your chandlers. These are like a car sat-nav, but they show a marine chart rather than a road map, with you boat's position plotted on the chart as you cruise around. A bit pricey but VERY useful.
Old 04 September 2008, 10:34   #5

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Quote:
Originally Posted by webselect View Post
Hi All,

Being new to having a RIB to mess about in I am keen to do a bit of exploring along our coastline launching from Teignmouth (Devon). When I took my ICC part of the course involved going up rivers from the sea to a couple of nice pubs. Obviously our instructor knew the area and what to watch out for where we went, but if I am going places I have never been how can I find out where is safe, what to beware of etc. Are there such a thing as inshore waters maps or anything similar? I don't know anyone locally with the knowledge so a bit stuck!

Thanks
Without wishing to sound like a nerd, shouldn't your PB2, precursor to ICC have covered chartwork????
Old 04 September 2008, 11:22   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I think the Admiralty charts also come in a slightly reduced (like they're A2(3?) instead of A0 size) and printed on supposedly waterproof paper.

Not tried them in anger, but I know a couple of people who keep them aboard for when / if the GPS falls over.
Old 04 September 2008, 16:52   #7

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Quote:
Without wishing to sound like a nerd, shouldn't your PB2, precursor to ICC have covered chartwork????
That's just what I was thinking, but it seems Webselect's tutuor was more interested in going to the nice pubs up the river!
Old 04 September 2008, 20:17   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
For close in work in small boats charts aren't much good - OS maps and Google Earth are the best!!!

If you have a PDA you can use the maps and nautical charts linked to a gps.
Old 04 September 2008, 20:45   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
For close in work in small boats charts aren't much good - OS maps and Google Earth are the best!!!
Neither of which will show water depth or known underwater obstructions (such as wreck, sanbanks or rocks if they don't dry). nor will they include such things as underwater cables or pipelines if you want to use an anchor.

Beware with electronic charts they may not always go to the maximum detail possible on a paper chart.

for the OP - can I suggest yachting pilot books (as well as charts) if they are available for the area.
Old 04 September 2008, 22:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Neither of which will show water depth or known underwater obstructions (such as wreck, sanbanks or rocks if they don't dry). nor will they include such things as underwater cables or pipelines if you want to use an anchor.

Beware with electronic charts they may not always go to the maximum detail possible on a paper chart.

for the OP - can I suggest yachting pilot books (as well as charts) if they are available for the area.
I know that but charts will show an area like a beach for example as just one smooth area when the OS maps will show the rock outcrops so you can thread between them!!!
Old 05 September 2008, 08:38   #11

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
I use memory map with OS maps on a mio 550, battery life is poor, about 2 hours with the gps on.
It shows the coastline clearer than bluecharts.... beaches, PO, pubs, bay names heads etc.
Awesome on the PC as well, with some maps you get to 3D view your route, if only I was a rambler!!
But, as mentioned, no depth soundings.
The mio also runs tom tom for the car which shows petrol stations (useful for the RIB?)
Can check email using bluetooth and gprs plus browse the net in a kind of early 90's type way.
All in very useful (cannot remember exactly who recommended it but it was of rib.net ) thanks for the tip.
Old 05 September 2008, 12:03   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I'd put my faith in large scale charts from Imray or the Admiralty. I find them fine to navigate around tidal estuaries / inshore waters in South Devon.

I'd apply some common sense rules as well until I knew a stretch of water, for example don't explore anywhere for the first time on a falling tide, watch what lines other craft follow (as along as they ae not of shallower draft!).

If your main stamping grounds will be the Teign, Exe, Dart and Torbay, main and secondary channels are generally marked, and there is local knowledge from harbour authorities / yacht clubs etc...

If your RIB is relatively small, like mine, there isn't much room for lots of electronic aids.
Old 05 September 2008, 13:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
I use memory map with OS maps on a mio 550, battery life is poor, about 2 hours with the gps on.
It shows the coastline clearer than bluecharts.... beaches, PO, pubs, bay names heads etc.
Awesome on the PC as well, with some maps you get to 3D view your route, if only I was a rambler!!
But, as mentioned, no depth soundings.
The mio also runs tom tom for the car which shows petrol stations (useful for the RIB?)
Can check email using bluetooth and gprs plus browse the net in a kind of early 90's type way.
All in very useful (cannot remember exactly who recommended it but it was of rib.net ) thanks for the tip.
Prob me - I have set up loads for my mates - should be on a comission!!!
Old 05 September 2008, 13:42   #14

Town: Chudleigh, Devon
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Tohatsu 25hp
Thank you, lots of interesting, and differing, advice!

Yes, charting was covered in the course and I admit I need a refresher but that assumes you have the type of chart that covers rivers etc, and also large charts are not that practical on a small rib especially with a few people on board.

GPS devices sound good but I guess are limited use without a seperate depth sounder which, on a small rib is not really practical.

I hadn't considered Google Maps and that actually is a pretty good idea as I have phone which runs the Google mobile apps on it.

I think that talking to the local clubs/harbour masters is great advice too.

Just shows that many people use many different ways to do the same thing doesn't it!

By the way, 3 weeks after buying a 3.6m Rib I'm already lusting after a bigger one... is this normal ;-)
Old 05 September 2008, 15:17   #15

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Quote:
By the way, 3 weeks after buying a 3.6m Rib I'm already lusting after a bigger one... is this normal ;-)
YES!!!

I have a similar problem to you. I use a handheld GPS but it only has limited base maps. I buy Admiralty charts and cover them in sticky back plastic and then put them back into their pastic wallets to keep them from getting wet.

The difficulty I have is that the charts don't go far enough inland. I have been known to consult google earth before I go, as the images are sometimes taken at low tide - just remember that sand banks move!
Old 05 September 2008, 18:45   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
GPS devices sound good but I guess are limited use without a seperate depth sounder which, on a small rib is not really practical.
Disagree on both counts. I use small handheld gps (with chart display) for normal navigation on a boat only a smidgen bigger than yours. The chart shows depth (at astronomical low tide) so you always have ATLEAST that much water (except in very extreeme circumstances). If you want to take a route across an area that dries at low tide then its time for the tables and the rule of twelfths etc. I would have bought a small plotter if I had enough spare £. I don't have a depth sounder as I don't consider it essential, but it is perfectly feasible to put one even on a small boat. you can get sounders which are integrated with the plotter display so it takes up less space on the console.
Old 05 September 2008, 20:32   #17

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I have always used os maps in small boats canoes etc , When i did adv sea prof years ago in a sea kayak we had to do a micro nav at night very close to shore using an os map and compass as part of the test . We used to write any chart info we needed on the os map . It was far more use than a chart