Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 February 2015, 09:09   #71
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
When you view the pics taken from the stern - the existing patches seem to go well back. You wouldn't want a patch on top of the transom GRP tube flange as it encourages people to step on it - it's better to be a "no step" zone, IMO.

You will be surprised how many dum ass feckers climb over your tubes when there moored up
I think those cleats are a waste of time that RB glue on (IMO ) whose going to tie up with those
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 09:14   #72
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
You will be surprised how many dum ass feckers climb over your tubes when there moored up
I think those cleats are a waste of time that RB glue on (IMO ) whose going to tie up with those
For clarity, where would you like them to climb over, seeing a rib boat is 95% tube and the rest is engine and transom? Unless you mean use the wear patches?
__________________

__________________
Starovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 09:48   #73
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
For clarity, where would you like them to climb over, seeing a rib boat is 95% tube and the rest is engine and transom? Unless you mean use the wear patches?

Err yes if your guna climb across my rib keep your feet on the wear patches not on my new tubes and not on my feckin seats
Clear enough
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 10:21   #74
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Err yes if your guna climb across my rib keep your feet on the wear patches not on my new tubes and not on my feckin seats
Clear enough
That's what i thought as levitation is a bit of an extreme thing to require
__________________
Starovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 10:29   #75
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
You will be surprised how many dum ass feckers climb over your tubes when there moored up
I think those cleats are a waste of time that RB glue on (IMO ) whose going to tie up with those
No, I wouldn't be surprised, I've met them. The rubber cleats are not there for mooring, although many use them for that purpose. More recent A-frames incorporate steel cleats which work well for heavy duty stuff. The rubber cleats are very useful for attaching fenders and tenders and general close quarters grabbing when coming alongside other boats and so on.
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 10:46   #76
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
You will be surprised how many dum ass feckers climb over your tubes when there moored up
I think those cleats are a waste of time that RB glue on (IMO ) whose going to tie up with those
No willk never lets his temporary acquisitions out of sight and is waiting to whack anyone who leaves footprints, ties in the wrong place etc. I've seen his real life smiting, they don't do it twice!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 11:23   #77
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,789
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
No willk never lets his temporary acquisitions out of sight and is waiting to whack anyone who leaves footprints, ties in the wrong place etc. I've seen his real life smiting, they don't do it twice!

You forgot steaming nostrils and stamping feet!!


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 11:57   #78
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
No, I wouldn't be surprised, I've met them. The rubber cleats are not there for mooring, although many use them for that purpose. More recent A-frames incorporate steel cleats which work well for heavy duty stuff. The rubber cleats are very useful for attaching fenders and tenders and general close quarters grabbing when coming alongside other boats and so on.

Nah still not in favour of the cleats grab lines are enough
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 12:46   #79
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Nah still not in favour of the cleats grab lines are enough
I rather have a couple of grab handles to grab hold of n cleats on the A frame for tying onto, n a good lump of rope on the bow eye, but that's coz I'm no luvver of grab lines
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2015, 12:59   #80
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Nowt wrong with grab handles or cleats especially if you have to lean over to unsnag a fishing line or even as a passenger sat on the bench seat or suicide seat it's more reassuring to hold onto something that is fixed rather than a grab line that is flapping about. Also a back up if the line somehow gets cut or breaks.
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.