Old 22 September 2018, 19:23   #1

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 HPDI
Choosing RYA course & getting ICC

I'm heading to Croatia next year with a crowd & I want to get whatever ticket gives me maximum flexibility for renting (possibly largish) boats. I've been though most of the threads but have some outstanding questions.

I need to get to a minimum of Advanced Powerboat RYA/MCA Certificate of Competence to get an "Unrestricted ICC" Is that correct?

Which RYA package to choose? I'd quite happily sit through PB2 & onwards, but I'd like to think I'm probably above that level and would rather spend my time & money at a level where I'm absorbing stuff rather than reaffirming it. I'm contemplating jumping straight at an assessment at Intermediate and then doing the Advanced course. Possibly just the Advanced course assessment, but I think that might be too large a step.

Pants-down assessment of capability.
The GOOD
I've done hundreds, possibly thousands of hours of waterski driving, some rescue boat work, maybe 20 rescues ranging from timid to heart racing. Crew on sailing & power for a few 50 mile trips. Skipper for some cruises out of site of land. Lots of breakdown experience (none of my own recently, touching wood...). Mechanically & Electrically astute. Comfortable with pretty much everything a GPS & Chart plotter can achieve, and how they work. Completed 75% of Yachtmaster theory evening class many years ago but was working abroad & couldn't finish it.

The BAD
No formal qualifications at all.
Rarely use charts, hardly ever at sea.
Rarely actually navigate with chart plotter/compass etc. Very aware how difficult it can be when planing in a small craft. Not learned how to adapt for 'no cabin' navigation. Unaware of best practices, useful tips etc.
Would probably fail if I sat Yachtmaster exam. Might not even pass Day Skipper navigation, but I can brush up my skills ahead of any exam/course.

I'd appreciate views on what people would recommend. I've struggled to find a detailed syllabus for the courses to help me judge what's appropriate.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22 September 2018, 21:00   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
No SBDA?

Ring the rya Monday or speak to a training centre and see what they advise the PB2 gives you (or did) an icc for upto 10m in coastal waters, (inland is much more strict for CeVNI) over 10m then not sure also post Brexit who knows!

Table here is pretty clear

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...m-the-rya.aspx

The advanced powerboat course would be the direct route

But you would need to check with authority in Croatia
https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...ng-abroad.aspx
What they will accept...

This might be a worthy investment for £6

https://www.rya.org.uk/shop/Pages/pr...us-and-logbook
Old 22 September 2018, 21:19   #3

Length: no boat
MMSI: 235899980
Icc

Hi Simon, ICC is either < 10m or >10 and Power, PWC or Sail, then Coastal or Inland (Inland waters of Europe which requires a CEVNI assessment too), < or > 10m depends upon the size of boat you are trained and assessed on. It can either be by direct assessment with an appropriate training centre, or via gaining certification, such as PB Level 2 or higher, or a motor cruising certificate such as Helmsman >10m or Dayskipper/YM Coastal practical >10m (amongst others), then using that as your evidence to apply to RYA for an ICC. Advanced PB assumes the candidate to be competent to the level of Intermediate PB and chartwork to the level of Yachtmaster, (used to be dayskipper, but that was a while ago), it's recommended to also hold VHF/SRC & a suitable first aid certificate. Going by the book, advanced course completion certificate is a two day course including night time exercise, and doesn't have a direct assessment option for experienced users like L2. This would only gain you an ICC for <10m. There is the option of going for Certificate of Competence (CoC) examination, which is like an abridged version of the Yachtmaster Exam, but this has mileage and seatime requirements, and you must hold Cat C First Aid, VHF/SRC, Sea Survival, PPR and a seafarers medical certificate ENG1 or ML5. This one would indeed get you an ICC for >10m. The syllabus is available from RYA Powerboat Scheme Syllabus & Logbook, Ref G20
Old 23 September 2018, 07:22   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
You state "largish" boats. What are we talking here? I generally wouldn't include RIBs in that bracket.

If a large RIB, a bog standard ICC off the back of a powerboat level 2 should be absolutely fine.

If we're talking about some sort of motor yacht; you will be very hard pressed to find a company that will do you a bareboat charter, so even if they agree to let you take the wheel with skipper onboard your ticket (or lack of) will be totally irrelevant.

Generally the only largish boats you can rent abroad without skipper are sailing yachts, in which case you'll want to do your day skipper and get an ICC off the back of that.