Old 23 September 2004, 07:14   #21

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
An Avon SR 4.7 or a Ribcraft 4.8 with a 70 hp yammie 2 stroke takes an awful lot of beating.
Rogue......the 4.8 ribcrafts transom is only rated up to 60 HP fitting a 70 would invalidate insurance and any warranties surely ?
Old 23 September 2004, 07:33   #22

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Just saw Robin's trailer drawbar reply. I may be wrong now but I had that fitting on a previous Snipe trailer and it was used to tilt the trailer on a shallow slipway to make it easier to launch the RIB. I wouldn't try it unless the RIB was securely strapped to the trailer. Imagine ending up with your pride and joy stuck in your garage on no trailer!!
Ahhhhh so thats what it is.
I won't be using that then.....never have any trouble getting on or off the trailer. Doh. In which case

TAXI
Old 23 September 2004, 07:38   #23

MMSI: Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
Rogue......the 4.8 ribcrafts transom is only rated up to 60 HP fitting a 70 would invalidate insurance and any warranties surely ?
Ribcraft actually made a 4.8 to a customer spec earlier this year and fitted a 75hp Evinrude Etec to it. The customer was insistent. As the boat is only rated to 60 hp he had to sign a disclaimer that released Ribcraft from any liability in respect of the over-sized engine (fair enuff). The chap was using the boat for skiing (water not downhill) and wakeboarding so I will have to assume he has managed to obtain insurance from somewhere.
I bet it goes well tho' It was at Ribex this year, briefly, did anyone have a go?
Old 23 September 2004, 08:51   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
I only put the Ribcraft down so as not to seem prjudiced to Avon. that settles it you should buy an Avon. To be honest if it's a good 60 Yammie 2 stroke it will still be cool sorry Hot!.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2004, 10:05   #25

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Engine: 75hp mariner
Thanks for the advice - I like the idea of a built in tank - is this available on the avon?? also the ribcraft has a useful array of seat options - can the avon match this? so many questions...

thanks in advance
Old 24 September 2004, 18:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by George8910
Thanks for the advice - I like the idea of a built in tank - is this available on the avon?? also the ribcraft has a useful array of seat options - can the avon match this? so many questions...

thanks in advance
George

Your'll find that not many sub 5 metre boats come as standard with underfloor fuel tanks, this is because there's not the space to accomodate big tanks under a 4 metre ribs deck and generally smaller boats run on smaller engines so dont require the vast amounts of fuel used by bigger boats, its also worth remembering that underfloor tanks dont have the advantage of easy access for maintenance.
Old 24 September 2004, 18:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by George8910

thanks in advance
I don't think so, to be honest the Ribcraft is probably a much better set out boat and may even hold it's value better.

the guy that sold me my Avon told me that it could take more grief than I could I spent a glorious 18 months trying to prove him wrong ( ) On reflection though it was a volatile ride. I really am I sold it.

I do think that the seating options is limited in the sea riders and the only way you'd get a built in tank would be if you wuz sitting on it!
Old 24 September 2004, 18:34   #28

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4.8m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI
Of course there are benefits to under-deck tanks,

1. Greater Range
2. No fuel tanks cluttering up valuable deck space (remember its only a small boat!)
3. Convenience - fewer trips to the fuel bay

With an underdeck tank you will be able to stay out all day without worrying about your fuel levels or having to refill or attach different removable tanks.

(My 55l underdeck tank will easily get me through a day of on-water activites - skiing etc)

Robert (all in my opinion as always )
Old 24 September 2004, 18:39   #29

Have to agree with the Rogue on this issue, the ribcraft are much better fitted out and do hold there value a lot better than Avons, but buying a second hand searider as a first boat wouldn't be a bad thing.

I really dont think you could go wrong with either boat as a secodn hand purchase, the prices do piffer when you get to new prices though and of course as Rogues pointed out the 4.7 searider transom is rated up to 70 and the searider is a lot lighter than the ribcraft, so if speeds your thing the 70 on the searider is always going to be faster than a 60 on a ribcraft.

If like me you like to go long distances then have a stainless steel tank made to fit under the seat, this means you dont need to carry jerry cans or 5 gallon plastic tanks on the deck, some double jokeys can accomodate twin 24 litre plastic tanks or one big plastic tank.
Old 24 September 2004, 18:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
Of course there are benefits to under-deck tanks,

1. Greater Range
2. No fuel tanks cluttering up valuable deck space (remember its only a small boat!)
3. Convenience - fewer trips to the fuel bay

With an underdeck tank you will be able to stay out all day without worrying about your fuel levels or having to refill or attach different removable tanks.

(My 55l underdeck tank will easily get me through a day of on-water activites - skiing etc)

Robert (all in my opinion as always )
Again another point of view, under floor tanks obviously have advantages as well as Roberts now pointed out, but how much extra on top of the basic price does an underfloor tank cost ??? add that to the boat, trailer and engine package + of coures A frame, lights and your into lots of money and this is all before you go shopping for electronic toys

Manufacturers dont fit underfloor tanks in small boats as a standard feature becuase it boosts the basic price up and small boat owners dont want that !!!
Old 24 September 2004, 18:52   #31

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4.8m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI
Bilge,

I have to agree with you, underdeck tanks are very expensive. £639 for a 55l tank in a Ribcraft 4.8 (www.ribcraft.co.uk - latest price list). However, I feel the advantages offered are worth this expense.

If buying second hand the tank becomes an even more attractive option as this initial high cost is very much decreased.

Robert
Old 24 September 2004, 19:02   #32

Robert

Your absoultely correct, underfloor tanks do deffinately have advantages over deck mounted tanks, i'm lucky as the previous owner of my boat had a 55 litre stainless steel tank made to fit under the seat, this is screwed down onto battons on the deck and is easilly removed for inspection and any maintenance that needs doing, its actually about the only thing the guy got right with the whole boat, since owning the boat i've cut an inspection hatch in the top of the tank and fitted a screw down hatch cover over it.
Old 24 September 2004, 19:58   #33

I'm afraid that stailess steel tanks don't ring my bell any more. My experience of them is that they become brittle after a while and split. If you are going to push the Rib get an Ali or a Tek tank. Also that money for a 55l stainless tank is extortionate
Old 24 September 2004, 20:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Also that money for a 55l stainless tank is extortionate

Agree and that was my main real point not to suggest an under floor fuel tank on a small rib, the cost is extortionate and added to the cost of fitting up a rib will push the price up, for the same money you could almost fit out the electronics !
Old 24 September 2004, 20:49   #35

Blimet bilgey boy not only are you the first person to have agreed with me three times but you are talking sense as well!

tere is another issue with a inboard petrol tank you have to take the tank to the petrol!. Check out the console David Manning put on hi sea rider and the rather sensible fuel tank arrangement.
Old 24 September 2004, 23:01   #36

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
I have an Avon 4.65 SportsRib - and I dont have underfloor tanks... my boat has bench seats as opposed to jockey seats - I can fit 2 25/30l tanks under the seat, and could fit another behind the seat without encroaching too much on the normal useable deck space. I agree with the point about bringing the petrol to the boat - though I guess you could fill it up on the trailer on the way - however - underfloor tanks have another BIG disadvantage as far as I'm concerned - you are in trouble if you get dirty petrol or get water in the petrol - they are difficult to drain - and you have no alternative - at least with the plastic tanks - you can easily drain/clean them - and you can change tanks on the go (and it's quite likely that all the petorl wont have come from the same source - since it's its unlikely that you'll have emptied all the tanks last time out... or if you did - how did you get home ???)

Rogue - that's a nice cover you have in the photo - is that one you had mede specifically - or is it a standard cover that you bought off the shelf - and if it is - where did you get it ???? I need a new cover....
Old 24 September 2004, 23:03   #37

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
breakback trailer

oh - and I have a breakback trailer - and I cant see how it would save you any space in the garage.... (and I'm not sure how much benefit the breakback feature is at all.....)
Old 25 September 2004, 11:24   #38

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Ribcraft 4.8 Southampton boat for sale here. Might be just what you're looking for. There's also another 4.8 with a 12 gallon built in tank.

http://www.ribcraft.co.uk/Used%20Boa...d%20Boats.html

There's also another 4.8 after popping up for sale at Barnet Marine

http://www.boat-finder.com/12460/ind...&page_id=22625

Now's the time to buy as the "season" is coming to an end!!
Old 25 September 2004, 19:38   #39

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Stewpor
Make: Caribe
Engine: o/b Suzuki 50 4 stro
Ah - the wonderful benefits of the Caribe... yes underfloor fuel tank (90 L) as standard. Fuel filler is at the front (sorry - bow) and is easy to reach when towing at the garage. And as you can guess I can get several full days out on 1 tank. Very handy.

I also have the Snipe break back trailer.. wont save space in the garage, but is useful on a few slips I have used.

The Caribe 4.7 I have is with a 50HP 4 stroke - and thats plenty, although it is rated for up to 70HP. One of these days I'll post some pics on here.
Old 25 September 2004, 19:53   #40

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Stewpor
Make: Caribe
Engine: o/b Suzuki 50 4 stro
I thinks this should have the pics attached...Summer on the Caribe at Abersoch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caribe 1.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	15.4 KB