Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 November 2017, 11:41   #1
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 113
chinese made RIBS

There are a lot of chinese factory made RIBS now.

Some with/from European - north american - KIWI/Australian partners - designers etc etc.

I search forum for china and chinese but not a lot of discussion, ... so what word(s) should I search??

about quality etc.

I am using passenger carrying RIBS in Canada and MUST have a boat with 6185 part 3 (or 4) quality compliance.

My main RIB is custom built (SOLAS quality - rescue grade - zodiac hurricane etc etc. quality) but they are getting awfully expensive and a lot of summer zodiac-ing does not require such a high standard. Thinking of prolonging the life of that with using a newer smaller one (back up and overflow too)


Highfield is the biggest/newest one(s) ?? (formerly Australia)

WEIHAI HIFEI MARINE CO.,LTD is another

Liya another
Liya luxury RIB - Qingdao Lian Ya Boat Co.,Ltd. - PDF Catalogues | Documentation | Boating Brochures
__________________

__________________
tiverton_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 11:42   #2
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 113
there was a Newfoundlander on here last spring about buying one direct from china now ... he went to their factory and everything ... but he never replied to my comment/message(s).
__________________

__________________
tiverton_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 13:16   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 235913962
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 534
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiverton_tom View Post
there was a Newfoundlander on here last spring about buying one direct from china now ... he went to their factory and everything ... but he never replied to my comment/message(s).
his boat sank and he never made it home seemingly the boats were made from chinesium as we all know doesn't last very well in salt water
__________________
breezeblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 14:52   #4
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,430
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
I just cannot understand why would one who wants a commercially built rib to carry passengers go to seek such in China. Is it a saving issue or do you think they make the best ribs for such operation. Will one have a chance to see the rib being built (even photos) or does one just pay the money and hope to get what one had ordered when it arrives.

The best ribs in the World are made in Europe and especially in the UK where the RIB was born some 50 years ago. Other very good manufactures are in Holland, Poland, France, even Finland

As you say Zodiac Hurricane is of exceptional quality and most suitable for that type of work in Canada where there are many such already in operation especially off British Columbia. Zodiac Hurricane today are very much military ribs orientated hence possibly high cost.

What you need is a commercially built rib with certification which will perform in all weather conditions and at the same time ensure passenger safety and comfort. As much as I would like to blow “my own trumpet” there are many very good seasafari ribs built in the countries which I have mentioned above. These ribs have a proven track record and are operating in Europe and beyond. As an example, there are four Parker seasafari ribs operating in the Caribbean and many in Europe.

Do a google search and I am sure you will come up with many brands.

But if you have set your mind on a rib made in China - then I rest my case
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 15:51   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiverton_tom View Post
There are a lot of chinese factory made RIBS now.

Some with/from European - north american - KIWI/Australian partners - designers etc etc.

I search forum for china and chinese but not a lot of discussion, ... so what word(s) should I search??

about quality etc.

I am using passenger carrying RIBS in Canada and MUST have a boat with 6185 part 3 (or 4) quality compliance.

My main RIB is custom built (SOLAS quality - rescue grade - zodiac hurricane etc etc. quality) but they are getting awfully expensive and a lot of summer zodiac-ing does not require such a high standard. Thinking of prolonging the life of that with using a newer smaller one (back up and overflow too)


Highfield is the biggest/newest one(s) ?? (formerly Australia)

WEIHAI HIFEI MARINE CO.,LTD is another

Liya another
Liya luxury RIB - Qingdao Lian Ya Boat Co.,Ltd. - PDF Catalogues | Documentation | Boating Brochures
It must also be Transport Canada approved, or it will be rejected at the border. The Transport Canada list of requirements is huuuggeeee.
__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:26   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
It must also be Transport Canada approved, or it will be rejected at the border. The Transport Canada list of requirements is huuuggeeee.


I think that anyone who has ever imported one off large items from Asia will have a different view on a low cost attractive price vís value! Iím not even talking about the quality of the goods (which can be great) but the paperwork and processes involved can be difficult. Even importing big kit across the pond is not without its difficulties but at least you can expect to be able to talk the same language and have similar business culture.

If itís choice not price driving your interest in China then RIbcraft have a US factory - that will give you a british style / quality rib relatively locally, and with more prospect for after sales support as well as presumably an in house understanding of North American paperwork, and I suspect far better future resale than anything imported as a one off from an unknown builder.
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:37   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,477
While I agree that a lot of stuff that comes out of China is sh1t. Isn't it only a matter of time before they get it right? A very large percentage of sibs are made in China (im sure our rib eye rib tender is made in China too)
I'd imagine it won't be too long before the Chinese companies hire European production managers and core management staff and start to build competitive products. There will always be a place for smaller bespoke builders but I suspect it won't be long before the Chinese get their act together and start building acceptable quality boats at a big saving over European builders.
Maybe now isn't the time to buy Chinese but I suspect it might not be too long
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:49   #8
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 113
of course price is the attraction

of course the lower costs are the attraction, we run a very short season and competition is growing with cheaper equipement (ie. some operators are using PVC bombards, as small as 5.8m)

I can understand how a UK manufacturer would be 'offended'

but if they have CE and ISO 6185 standard certificates ... did they 'buy' those?

:-o

(ie. fraudulent ... fake .... or do those construction standards not mean anything?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I just cannot understand why would one who wants a commercially built rib to carry passengers go to seek such in China. Is it a saving issue or do you think they make the best ribs for such operation. Will one have a chance to see the rib being built (even photos) or does one just pay the money and hope to get what one had ordered when it arrives.

The best ribs in the World are made in Europe and especially in the UK where the RIB was born some 50 years ago. Other very good manufactures are in Holland, Poland, France, even Finland

As you say Zodiac Hurricane is of exceptional quality and most suitable for that type of work in Canada where there are many such already in operation especially off British Columbia. Zodiac Hurricane today are very much military ribs orientated hence possibly high cost.

What you need is a commercially built rib with certification which will perform in all weather conditions and at the same time ensure passenger safety and comfort. As much as I would like to blow ďmy own trumpetĒ there are many very good seasafari ribs built in the countries which I have mentioned above. These ribs have a proven track record and are operating in Europe and beyond. As an example, there are four Parker seasafari ribs operating in the Caribbean and many in Europe.

Do a google search and I am sure you will come up with many brands.

But if you have set your mind on a rib made in China - then I rest my case
__________________
tiverton_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:51   #9
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 113
Highfield one of the fastest growing brands in the world now

I can understand folks joking about it,

but just about everything is made in China now .... even beloved brands have stuff made in China

certainly Highfield is used worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
his boat sank and he never made it home seemingly the boats were made from chinesium as we all know doesn't last very well in salt water
__________________
tiverton_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:55   #10
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 113
already dealerships in Canada - probably your country too

Transport Canada regulations refer to ISO quality ratings. I have not investigated Liya already being imported to Canada or not, however they tell me they have ISO 6185-3 quality ratings.

There are now 2 different Chinese built brands here, just in Nova Scotia

ZODIAC has a factory in china now (they own it, they just use cheaper Chinese labour there)


Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
It must also be Transport Canada approved, or it will be rejected at the border. The Transport Canada list of requirements is huuuggeeee.
__________________

__________________
tiverton_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.