Old 14 November 2017, 15:41   #1

Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
chinese made RIBS

There are a lot of chinese factory made RIBS now.

Some with/from European - north american - KIWI/Australian partners - designers etc etc.

I search forum for china and chinese but not a lot of discussion, ... so what word(s) should I search??

about quality etc.

I am using passenger carrying RIBS in Canada and MUST have a boat with 6185 part 3 (or 4) quality compliance.

My main RIB is custom built (SOLAS quality - rescue grade - zodiac hurricane etc etc. quality) but they are getting awfully expensive and a lot of summer zodiac-ing does not require such a high standard. Thinking of prolonging the life of that with using a newer smaller one (back up and overflow too)

Highfield is the biggest/newest one(s) ?? (formerly Australia)

WEIHAI HIFEI MARINE CO.,LTD is another

Liya another
Liya luxury RIB - Qingdao Lian Ya Boat Co.,Ltd. - PDF Catalogues | Documentation | Boating Brochures
Old 14 November 2017, 15:42   #2

there was a Newfoundlander on here last spring about buying one direct from china now ... he went to their factory and everything ... but he never replied to my comment/message(s).
Old 14 November 2017, 17:16   #3

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiverton_tom View Post
there was a Newfoundlander on here last spring about buying one direct from china now ... he went to their factory and everything ... but he never replied to my comment/message(s).
his boat sank and he never made it home seemingly the boats were made from chinesium as we all know doesn't last very well in salt water
Old 14 November 2017, 18:52   #4

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
I just cannot understand why would one who wants a commercially built rib to carry passengers go to seek such in China. Is it a saving issue or do you think they make the best ribs for such operation. Will one have a chance to see the rib being built (even photos) or does one just pay the money and hope to get what one had ordered when it arrives.

The best ribs in the World are made in Europe and especially in the UK where the RIB was born some 50 years ago. Other very good manufactures are in Holland, Poland, France, even Finland

As you say Zodiac Hurricane is of exceptional quality and most suitable for that type of work in Canada where there are many such already in operation especially off British Columbia. Zodiac Hurricane today are very much military ribs orientated hence possibly high cost.

What you need is a commercially built rib with certification which will perform in all weather conditions and at the same time ensure passenger safety and comfort. As much as I would like to blow “my own trumpet” there are many very good seasafari ribs built in the countries which I have mentioned above. These ribs have a proven track record and are operating in Europe and beyond. As an example, there are four Parker seasafari ribs operating in the Caribbean and many in Europe.

Do a google search and I am sure you will come up with many brands.

But if you have set your mind on a rib made in China - then I rest my case
Old 14 November 2017, 19:51   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:

Some with/from European - north american - KIWI/Australian partners - designers etc etc.

I search forum for china and chinese but not a lot of discussion, ... so what word(s) should I search??

about quality etc.

I am using passenger carrying RIBS in Canada and MUST have a boat with 6185 part 3 (or 4) quality compliance.

My main RIB is custom built (SOLAS quality - rescue grade - zodiac hurricane etc etc. quality) but they are getting awfully expensive and a lot of summer zodiac-ing does not require such a high standard. Thinking of prolonging the life of that with using a newer smaller one (back up and overflow too)

Liya another
Liya luxury RIB - Qingdao Lian Ya Boat Co.,Ltd. - PDF Catalogues | Documentation | Boating Brochures
It must also be Transport Canada approved, or it will be rejected at the border. The Transport Canada list of requirements is huuuggeeee.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 07:26   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
It must also be Transport Canada approved, or it will be rejected at the border. The Transport Canada list of requirements is huuuggeeee.

I think that anyone who has ever imported one off large items from Asia will have a different view on a low cost attractive price v’s value! I’m not even talking about the quality of the goods (which can be great) but the paperwork and processes involved can be difficult. Even importing big kit across the pond is not without its difficulties but at least you can expect to be able to talk the same language and have similar business culture.

If it’s choice not price driving your interest in China then RIbcraft have a US factory - that will give you a british style / quality rib relatively locally, and with more prospect for after sales support as well as presumably an in house understanding of North American paperwork, and I suspect far better future resale than anything imported as a one off from an unknown builder.
Old 15 November 2017, 07:37   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
While I agree that a lot of stuff that comes out of China is sh1t. Isn't it only a matter of time before they get it right? A very large percentage of sibs are made in China (im sure our rib eye rib tender is made in China too)
I'd imagine it won't be too long before the Chinese companies hire European production managers and core management staff and start to build competitive products. There will always be a place for smaller bespoke builders but I suspect it won't be long before the Chinese get their act together and start building acceptable quality boats at a big saving over European builders.
Maybe now isn't the time to buy Chinese but I suspect it might not be too long
Old 15 November 2017, 09:49   #8

of course price is the attraction

of course the lower costs are the attraction, we run a very short season and competition is growing with cheaper equipement (ie. some operators are using PVC bombards, as small as 5.8m)

I can understand how a UK manufacturer would be 'offended'

but if they have CE and ISO 6185 standard certificates ... did they 'buy' those?

:-o

(ie. fraudulent ... fake .... or do those construction standards not mean anything?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I just cannot understand why would one who wants a commercially built rib to carry passengers go to seek such in China. Is it a saving issue or do you think they make the best ribs for such operation. Will one have a chance to see the rib being built (even photos) or does one just pay the money and hope to get what one had ordered when it arrives.

The best ribs in the World are made in Europe and especially in the UK where the RIB was born some 50 years ago. Other very good manufactures are in Holland, Poland, France, even Finland

As you say Zodiac Hurricane is of exceptional quality and most suitable for that type of work in Canada where there are many such already in operation especially off British Columbia. Zodiac Hurricane today are very much military ribs orientated hence possibly high cost.

What you need is a commercially built rib with certification which will perform in all weather conditions and at the same time ensure passenger safety and comfort. As much as I would like to blow “my own trumpet” there are many very good seasafari ribs built in the countries which I have mentioned above. These ribs have a proven track record and are operating in Europe and beyond. As an example, there are four Parker seasafari ribs operating in the Caribbean and many in Europe.

Do a google search and I am sure you will come up with many brands.

But if you have set your mind on a rib made in China - then I rest my case
Old 15 November 2017, 09:51   #9

Highfield one of the fastest growing brands in the world now

I can understand folks joking about it,

but just about everything is made in China now .... even beloved brands have stuff made in China

certainly Highfield is used worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
his boat sank and he never made it home seemingly the boats were made from chinesium as we all know doesn't last very well in salt water
Old 15 November 2017, 09:55   #10

already dealerships in Canada - probably your country too

Transport Canada regulations refer to ISO quality ratings. I have not investigated Liya already being imported to Canada or not, however they tell me they have ISO 6185-3 quality ratings.

There are now 2 different Chinese built brands here, just in Nova Scotia

ZODIAC has a factory in china now (they own it, they just use cheaper Chinese labour there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Old 15 November 2017, 10:00   #11

THEY already DO!! (chinese -european/australian partnerships)

Maybe the UK being one of the world's centers of RIB production has managed to keep these brands/products out (?)

Europeans have previously moved production to Turkey and Poland to save labour costs, Asia is a similar strategy.

But some of these factories ARE done by/with European partners and as noted in other reply - ZODIAC now builds a lot of their boats in their Chinese factory.

I think they already have: "get their act together"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
While I agree that a lot of stuff that comes out of China is sh1t. Isn't it only a matter of time before they get it right? A very large percentage of sibs are made in China (im sure our rib eye rib tender is made in China too)
I'd imagine it won't be too long before the Chinese companies hire European production managers and core management staff and start to build competitive products. There will always be a place for smaller bespoke builders but I suspect it won't be long before the Chinese get their act together and start building acceptable quality boats at a big saving over European builders.
Maybe now isn't the time to buy Chinese but I suspect it might not be too long
Old 15 November 2017, 12:02   #12

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
of course the lower costs are the attraction, we run a very short season and competition is growing with cheaper equipement (ie. some operators are using PVC bombards, as small as 5.8m)

I can understand how a UK manufacturer would be 'offended'

but if they have CE and ISO 6185 standard certificates ... did they 'buy' those?

(ie. fraudulent ... fake .... or do those construction standards not mean anything?)
Bombard is owned by Zodiac Nautic. Their craft are CE, ISO, ABYC, NMMA, USCG, and TC approved.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 22:31   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:

CE marking to the Recreational Craft Directive is a strange thing. Some countries may be stricter than others on how it is policed, e.g. in the UK until something goes wrong its very likely that nobody pays any attention. The RCD also has four standards of boat A-D. For C and D the builder can self certify these - i.e. they declare they conform and nobody will check unless there is a formal reason to. As a result you will find a lot of boats that could be a "B" are labelled as a "C" because it is cheaper and less stringent to do that and many customers don't care. If the boat is A or B it will have been assessed by a Notified Body, there are various around and some are more highly thought of than others. It would be interesting to see if Canada will accept self certified compliance?

Even if they manufacturer has paid a Notified body (and probably some consultants to prepare the paperwork) it doesn't ensure that the boat is actually that good. The standards are essentially about safety of the design not build quality per se, nor the lifetime/longevity of the construction.
Old 16 November 2017, 06:19   #14

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
The EU harmonised directive came in to play in January 2017 which has made the rules on building and selling boats in the uk a lot more stringent.
Both builders and importers of foreign built boats are now responsible for conformity. It has become statute law.
Old 16 November 2017, 06:55   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post

Both builders and importers of foreign built boats are now responsible for conformity. It has become statute law.
They were under the previous directive too.

Enforced by trading standards who 1. Know SFA about boat building; 2. Have higher profile priorities; 3. Are one of the local authority departments that has likely suffered from cut backs.
Old 16 November 2017, 07:51   #16

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Engine: suzuki70 df
Quote:

about quality etc.

Liya another
Few months ago i got my chinese rib from hawhai manufacture china. I have opened afew post over here..many peole are locked about chinese low quality product..i agree with part of this impression but with ribs i think there are good qualities and it is becoming better and better. I am satisfied with my great rib.
As for the stabdards you require i cant be of help here.
As for factories, heifi as i seen don't deal or even answer individuals..seems they are interested in big companies with product line to create many ribs

Liyan is good as well.

One thing difference between us is i dont have here in israel local manufactures. You do have i believe some such as zebec and gala boats? Will they be still more costly even they are local and no import fees and other related stuff?
See picture of my boatClick image for larger version

Name:	20170921_191658.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	122755
Old 16 November 2017, 13:43   #17

thanks!! ... the comments/opinions I was looking for!

thanks for that, that is the stuff I was looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
CE marking to the Recreational Craft Directive is a strange thing. Some countries may be stricter than others on how it is policed, e.g. in the UK until something goes wrong its very likely that nobody pays any attention. The RCD also has four standards of boat A-D. For C and D the builder can self certify these - i.e. they declare they conform and nobody will check unless there is a formal reason to. As a result you will find a lot of boats that could be a "B" are labelled as a "C" because it is cheaper and less stringent to do that and many customers don't care. If the boat is A or B it will have been assessed by a Notified Body, there are various around and some are more highly thought of than others. It would be interesting to see if Canada will accept self certified compliance?

Even if they manufacturer has paid a Notified body (and probably some consultants to prepare the paperwork) it doesn't ensure that the boat is actually that good. The standards are essentially about safety of the design not build quality per se, nor the lifetime/longevity of the construction.
Old 16 November 2017, 13:47   #18

thanks for the input

thanks for the input - certainly makes a difference when you are forced to import from somewhere

and recreational purpose can stand a bit of 'downtime'

vs. commercial

(downtime is more costly than actual repair bills)

tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Few months ago i got my chinese rib from hawhai manufacture china. I have opened afew post over here..many peole are locked about chinese low quality product..i agree with part of this impression but with ribs i think there are good qualities and it is becoming better and better. I am satisfied with my great rib.
As for the stabdards you require i cant be of help here.
As for factories, heifi as i seen don't deal or even answer individuals..seems they are interested in big companies with product line to create many ribs

Liyan is good as well.

One thing difference between us is i dont have here in israel local manufactures. You do have i believe some such as zebec and gala boats? Will they be still more costly even they are local and no import fees and other related stuff?
See picture of my boatAttachment 122755
Old 16 November 2017, 22:01   #19

Town: Kemah
Make: Feishi/Weihai
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
If you want some first hand feedback over the next few months I'd be glad to provide some input. I just bought a RIB-420 (Feishi/Weihai) from a local importer that was going out of business. It is home and I am just starting assembly of it. So far, pretty impressed. Quality is a B+. I've found a couple of blemishes on the gelcoat, one tube was pinched inside the packaging during shipment so I have patched it. Pretty minor stuff so far.

I am impressed with the stuff it came with. Radar arch?? (not sure why, its at the perfect height to fry your brain), nice seating in 3 places, center console, steering box/cable/wheel, fitted cover, patch kit, pump,.... Everything you need except electrical, outboard, fuel tank, etc.

Assembly is in progress now. I've got the center console in place and sealed, steering assembled, and starting on the electrical now. If of interest, I can post pictures and updates as I go. So far, no show stoppers and looking forward to getting it in the water.
Old 16 November 2017, 22:32   #20

The quality is B+ compared to what other rib?

My old Avon was a good B compared to my older boats I owned before (cabin cruisers). When I got the ribcraft I realised as good as the Avon was in reality it wasn't a B after all quality wise.

My point is the quality is subjective based on your experience. Whilst I've never seen your boat if you put it beside a reputable brand would you still be b+?

I wouldn't even say my ribcraft was an A! Built like a tank yes but the attention to fitting controls could be improved....which I've subsequently done.

Pictures would be great though buddy.

Tags
rib