Old 17 November 2017, 03:18   #21

Town: Kemah
Make: Feishi/Weihai
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
B+ compared to the Caribe I used to own and a friend's Avon. Although it is not apples to apples as they are Hypalon vs PVC.

Agree with you. It is very subjective.

Will take some photos and post tomorrow.
Old 17 November 2017, 22:28   #22

Length: 7m +
I guess it all boils down to what your looking for and just how ‘heavy’ you intend to use it. I own a Chinese RIB. And honestly cannot fault it. But then I was looking for a good stable all round family boat with comfortable seating / hey we even have wrap around seating with a pop up table for lunch at anchor. Maybe if I planned to wave jump I would have thought differently and gone for jockey seats etc. But as always it’s a matter of personal opinion and taste. I certainly wouldn’t automatically assume Chinese equals poor quality. Some of the best trawler yachts are built there. And yes my rib has all the European certificates etc. But what does that really mean? I doubt every individual British built boat is independently inspected, these certificates are presumably more a general blanket statement of intent? It’s still possible for a bad one to slip through. Granted easier to remedy if a local manufacturer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5169.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	122765Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_122200.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	122766Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5149.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	122767
Old 18 November 2017, 06:42   #23

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
I guess it all boils down to what your looking for and just how ‘heavy’ you intend to use it. I own a Chinese RIB. And honestly cannot fault it. But then I was looking for a good stable all round family boat with comfortable seating / hey we even have wrap around seating with a pop up table for lunch at anchor. Maybe if I planned to wave jump I would have thought differently and gone for jockey seats etc. But as always it’s a matter of personal opinion and taste. I certainly wouldn’t automatically assume Chinese equals poor quality. Some of the best trawler yachts are built there. And yes my rib has all the European certificates etc. But what does that really mean? I doubt every individual British built boat is independently inspected, these certificates are presumably more a general blanket statement of intent? It’s still possible for a bad one to slip through. Granted easier to remedy if a local manufacturer.
Attachment 122765Attachment 122766Attachment 122767
Looks very nice in my opinion
Old 18 November 2017, 08:56   #24

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
To be fair my Chinese rib is still going well, yes it's only had 2 full seasons use but we have used it fair in that time.

The seat covers haven't fared well and I can see a re cover coming up next year - oddly enough they don't like too much water.

Time will tell if it lasts but for now all is good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gin run 4.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	122768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nutkin Too.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	122769  

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 21:41   #25

Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Engine: various
yes, please, ... photos through the progress
Old 20 November 2017, 07:19   #26

Town: Whakatane
Boat name: Jojosrib
Make: Brig
Engine: Yamaha f 130
I Ve had a Chinese built Atomix 5m rib for three seasons. No complaints from me. NZ designed.... and built in a purpose built factory in china overseen by kiwis....
I vividly remember a time when Japanese goods were referred to as Jap crap....I think Chinese products are rapidly becoming the new Japanese.
Old 22 November 2017, 16:11   #27

As promised, posting an update on my Chinese rib adventure...

I recently purchased a Feishi RIB-420, 13'8" PVC rib from a local importer going out of business. It comes fairly complete, including arch, helm/mid/bow seating and cushions, center console, Morse (Chinese) steering box, steering wheel, steering cable, fitted cover, patch kit, foot pump, and oars.. No instructions were included, there were a few misc certifications in with the steering hardware. The rib was wrapped in cardboard and shrink wrap, the center console in a separate box with the steering hardware.

My impression of the few quality issues, none were show stoppers or major in my opinion:
  • 2 small voids between gel coat and fiberglass, one on the trim for the center console door, one on the console base
  • 1 small leak, starboard rear tube, approx 3/8" tear (could have been self inflicted when I cinched down straps to hold it on a low-boy trailer for the ride home)
  • A depression in the starboard tubes where the baffle is glued inside
  • A couple of big scratches in the windshield on the center console
  • Poor gluing quality on several tube attachments (handles, etc)
The positives:
  • Outside of motor, and wiring, it is pretty complete
  • Locking latches on storage compartments
  • 3 storage compartments, bow, midships (in console), and under the helm/bilge
  • Plenty of PVC handles/cleats
  • Well thought out design with a 4 inch channel running from console to bilge for steering/wiring

What I've done so far:
  • Drilled and assembled center console to the deck using stainless screws, finishing washers, and an ample quantity of 3m 4000UV
  • Cut out the console and installed steering box and cable
  • Cut out the console and installed a 3 gang switch panel with USB and 12v socket
  • Created a schematic and installed wiring to same
  • Installed a Perko anchor light (changed to LED bulbs) on the arch
  • Utilized a Scotty glue on rod holder bracket, machined a mounting plate from aircraft aluminum, and installed a permanent LED nav light on the bow
  • Patched the leak and reglued several loose tube attachments
  • Installing an automatic bilge pump and plumbing
Remaining work will be rigging a 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke on it when the outboard arrives in a week or two and then water trials.

Pictures attached, more pics in a follow up post...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4572.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	122785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4577.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	122786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4573.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	122787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4574.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	122788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4569.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	122789  

Old 22 November 2017, 16:14   #28

Follow up post on RIB-420 with some additional pictures, showing some of the minor defects and my solution for a bow nav light...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4576.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	122790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4575.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	122791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4570.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	122792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4567.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	122793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4568.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	122794  

Old 22 November 2017, 16:33   #29

You said that was a b+ quality wise?
Old 22 November 2017, 18:31   #30

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoplin View Post
Follow up post on RIB-420 with some additional pictures, showing some of the minor defects and my solution for a bow nav light...
FYI, your boat is very underinflated. The baffle valley might go away once you inflate it to the proper pressure.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 19:06   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
You said that was a b+ quality wise?
Always subjective and in the eyes of the viewer, but yes I'd give it a B+ Outside of the console, the fiberglass work/fit-finish is pretty good. The tube valley bothers me a bit, but I don't see it affecting performance, and as pointed out in another post I don't have it fully inflated either (sitting in the garage, and some big temperature swings here recently (40's to 80's F)
Old 04 January 2018, 19:50   #32

Update on my Chinese RIB experience.....

I am becoming less enamored with the project. All the vinyl handles and rope stays needed pulled off and reglued. I've also experienced a seam failure on the bow.

While the seams looked well constructed, with double reinforcements, dicey does not even begin to describe the glue they must have used. When inflating it to pressure for what was to be the first water trial, a seam on the bow blew out nearly big enough to run my fist through.

Back to the garage and mixing up more Stabond to reseal. Also giving me a chance to rebuild the carbs on the Yamaha 40 while down. Another area deficient is the installation of the hull drain plug. No sealant whatsoever in the installation and it allowed water to leak into the hull.

Craftsmanship is definitely leaving much to be desired. Thankfully I have very little invested in the RIB (885 GBP in a new 4.2m center console RIB) and a lot of time with the cold front that has settled in on the Texas Coast.

Becoming less hopeful of getting 2-5 years out of the tubes. If one seam blows out, there will be more to follow...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RIB Leak.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	123074  
Old 04 January 2018, 20:30   #33

Sorry to see the issues you are having.

I would sell it when seam fixed while it has any value and get into something decent.
Old 05 January 2018, 11:31   #34

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoplin View Post
Update on my Chinese RIB experience.....

I am becoming less enamored with the project. All the vinyl handles and rope stays needed pulled off and reglued. I've also experienced a seam failure on the bow.

While the seams looked well constructed, with double reinforcements, dicey does not even begin to describe the glue they must have used. When inflating it to pressure for what was to be the first water trial, a seam on the bow blew out nearly big enough to run my fist through.

Back to the garage and mixing up more Stabond to reseal. Also giving me a chance to rebuild the carbs on the Yamaha 40 while down. Another area deficient is the installation of the hull drain plug. No sealant whatsoever in the installation and it allowed water to leak into the hull.

Craftsmanship is definitely leaving much to be desired. Thankfully I have very little invested in the RIB (885 GBP in a new 4.2m center console RIB) and a lot of time with the cold front that has settled in on the Texas Coast.

Becoming less hopeful of getting 2-5 years out of the tubes. If one seam blows out, there will be more to follow...
The Chinese RIB/Inflatable industry currently export craft of all shapes and sizes in vast quantities by the CONTAINER LOAD to various North African countries...and others..to supply the truly despicable Human trafficking trade! FACT.

In that light,is it really surprising that build quality/high spec materials are not high on thier list of prioritys!??

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2018, 12:49   #35

Well the other option they have is steal them.....glad you are nearer chunnel with your ribcraft than I am then!

Or we change tact and claim that ribcraft, redbay etc are all gubbins, get the scumbag theives off the scent.

I'm sure there are decent Chinese ribs knocking about, finding one outwith the name brands is probably the tricky bit. we are lucky in UK to have the best makers in world on our doorstep and an abundance of second hand stuff knocking about we can be picky with.
Old 23 January 2018, 22:15   #36

It is finally out of the garage and getting wet. Carbs were dicey on the 2 stroke Yamaha necessitating a rebuild. All the current leaks resolved (for now) and got it out in Galveston Bay this past weekend. Haven't run wide open yet, but got 22 knots with 2 on board at about 3/4 throttle and handled well. Having another cold snap this weekend so probably another week or so before I get to take it out again. Nice to have the garage back for the cars.

If I can stay ahead of the bad gluing/assembly/leaks and get 5 years on the PVC before a re-tube I'm not displeased. It kept me busy for 2 months during bad weather and the holidays and I have just under $3000 USD invested in total.

Still want to add a small chart plotter and VHF, outside of that and keeping a can of Sta-Bond at the ready, should be set!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3306.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	123202  
Old 02 March 2018, 00:40   #37

Town: Michigan
Make: Nautica
Engine: OB
As a newbie here I might get hazed for this but.... I needed a workhorse RIB to access some remote island property. Ended up buying a "Raider Marine" 3.5m with aluminum hull and slapped a 15hp on it.

It's PVC but...built suprisingly well. Inside hull seem taped to keep debris from being trapped between tube and hull and wearing through, all welded hull, transom reinforced nicely, cheap drain but at least it had a wire holding the plug and keeping it from being lost. Valves we're modern and trouble free. I do not take good care of it, it gets chucked in back of pickup and launched on lake Superior basalt rock. For 1500$ I have no complaints after the first year. If I get two more then it's really worth it.

Only negative thing to note is the v hull design, compared to my old (now tubeless) novurania it's a really shitty v hull design and you will get wet from bow spray.

If you need something to beat on and treat like dirt I think some China ribs might have a place in the market
Old 17 June 2021, 23:01   #38

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Boatless
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 225 Outboard
Chinese Boats still going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Attachment 122765Attachment 122766Attachment 122767

Great to here you have one of these RIBs. How is it going? Looking at one as well, I have been following the Liya RIBs for many years. Would love some more feedback. Only looking for a pleasure boat as we had a surveyed 7.3m Zodiac many years ago and loved it so I am still a RIB lover.
Old 31 May 2022, 16:35   #39

Town: Naples
Boat name: not yet
Make: asia
Engine: outboard
Hello Striker, I read with interest your comments and personal experience with you Lianya 680 rib. I am looking at the exact same model Lianya and plan to use it similar to your use (family oriented). I was wondering now that you have had it another 2 years since your positive comments on it on rib.net if anything has changed (problems/issues) or you are still feeling good about Lianya?

I did notice you chose hypolon. was that the asian version of hypolon or Orca hypolon?? Did you find the Liyana hypolon was easily repairable if it needed any repairs? I was planning on going pvc to minimize cost/risk but your hypolon success is notable.
Thanks for any comments!!
Very much appreciate it...
Jeff
Old 31 May 2022, 22:36   #40

Hi Jeff,

I don’t recall which type of Hypolon it was sorry. So far it has never needed repairing and up until this winter it kept the air pressure in the tubes over winter. I say so far because this year there is a small leak visible from under one of the seam tapes that I will need to have someone repair. If I was being super critical I would say the gel coat on the upper surfaces is a bit thin as a zipper on the cover has managed to rub through at one point (very small). On my wish list is to renew the cushions and seat fabric soon. Mainly because the press studs have pulled through in some places. Not essential, but a nice touch. Otherwise, it’s a great value for money boat that really suits our needs and use. And now 12 years old but still looks much younger.

Tags
rib