Old 04 June 2013, 18:56   #21

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
I've been looking through my videos for Nathan K who was 15 at the time, he was in the painted blue and white SR4 in this video, he came around the island with us last year and two SR4's (Matt h and Captain - 2 up) came round this year.

If you can stretch to a SR4.7 (the one that this video is filmed from) it will do you for years and years

All seariders are awesome

Old 04 June 2013, 19:06   #22

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Chine walking is more of a danger with bigger engines , trimmed out at decent pace. My previous ring 18 was quick but hairy as hell at times when trimmed out. I found moving weight around helped, eg anchor, spare fuel etc. I had a foot throttle so easy to react to wayward chine walking. Weight distribution, trim and throttle will be key to your set up. I found slowing down a bit cured it every time.
Old 04 June 2013, 19:19   #23

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I've been looking through my videos for Nathan K who was 15 at the time, he was in the painted blue and white SR4 in this video, he came around the island with us last year and two SR4's (Matt h and Captain - 2 up) came round this year.

If you can stretch to a SR4.7 (the one that this video is filmed from) it will do you for years and years

All seariders are awesome

I am stretching for a searider 4m as it is!
I am only 15 as well, 16 in july. Hopefully I can sell my SIB set up for around £1800 sell my bike for £350 then we will be on our way. I am hoping 2k is going to be enough to buy a decent enough one although it varies a lot. Many I see are around the 3k mark
Old 04 June 2013, 19:26   #24

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F70
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
I am stretching for a searider 4m as it is!
I am only 15 as well, 16 in july. Hopefully I can sell my SIB set up for around £1800 sell my bike for £350 then we will be on our way. I am hoping 2k is going to be enough to buy a decent enough one although it varies a lot. Many I see are around the 3k mark
I think we need to make a club of under 18's who spend all their pocket money and summer job wages on boats and fuel instead of booze!
Old 04 June 2013, 19:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
I think we need to make a club of under 18's who spend all their pocket money and summer job wages on boats and fuel instead of booze!
I prefer natural thrills
Old 04 June 2013, 19:29   #26

looking at this one: Avon Searider SR4 with Yamaha 50hp Outboard | eBay

THe only thing that puts me off is that it is manual start and tilt
Old 04 June 2013, 19:45   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Nah, you need PTT.

A 40hp with PTT would be preferable on an SR4 to a 50hp without.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2013, 19:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Nah, you need PTT.

A 40hp with PTT would be preferable on an SR4 to a 50hp without.
I take it PTT is electric start and trim and tilt?

Its just finding the right one, the search goes on....
Old 04 June 2013, 19:51   #29

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Make: Zodiac Medline
Engine: Yamaha F70
Would definitely agree with that one, My previous boat was a SR4 with a 25 mercury 2 stroke. Pull start and Manual tilt, made beaching and other scenarios very difficult. I imagine a 50HP would be a fair bit heavier to lift aswell
Old 04 June 2013, 19:51   #30
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I take it PTT is electric start and trim and tilt?

Its just finding the right one, the search goes on....
Yeah, power trim and tilt.

If it's got PTT, it'll be electric start as well.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2013, 19:56   #31

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
looking at this one: Avon Searider SR4 with Yamaha 50hp Outboard | eBay

THe only thing that puts me off is that it is manual start and tilt
I had a preference for manual start and manual trim when looking for my SR4. No electrics mean less to go wrong.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2013, 20:35   #32

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Quote:
I prefer natural thrills
So ye should gentlemen

Theres a world to enjoy out there .. and a responsible pint or dram never hurt anyone,when of the age, but the big blue yonder with a bit of sun and some fun will be a memory to last for years to come, as I like to say

Nothing to beat having a job and some aspiration
Old 05 June 2013, 13:54   #33

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Other thoguht if you are on a budget - manual start - worst that happens is you end up looking like Charles Atlas (or his 2013 counterpart), put up with the manua ltrim for a bit & keep your eye on the bits piles for a PT unit.

With a 50 on a SR there's an argument that if you set it reasonably you will get it to do most of what you need - I had a 25 on mine, and varied the tilt pin posiion depending on wheher I was cruising in flat, cruising in waves or acting as a rescue / marshall boat. a 50 will have more than enough grunt to not worry about that! (chine walking aside!)

You can then save & either retro - fit a PT unit or PX the engine for one with it fitted.

How are you mechanically & electrically? - fitting a PT isn't difficult, (especially a single ram type - if that's what the engine has- but the wiring usually seems to confuse!
Old 05 June 2013, 17:07   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Other thoguht if you are on a budget - manual start - worst that happens is you end up looking like Charles Atlas (or his 2013 counterpart), put up with the manua ltrim for a bit & keep your eye on the bits piles for a PT unit.

With a 50 on a SR there's an argument that if you set it reasonably you will get it to do most of what you need - I had a 25 on mine, and varied the tilt pin posiion depending on wheher I was cruising in flat, cruising in waves or acting as a rescue / marshall boat. a 50 will have more than enough grunt to not worry about that! (chine walking aside!)

You can then save & either retro - fit a PT unit or PX the engine for one with it fitted.

How are you mechanically & electrically? - fitting a PT isn't difficult, (especially a single ram type - if that's what the engine has- but the wiring usually seems to confuse!
I think I will eng up buying an electric start, PTT anyway because to be honest I have had enough of pull start and triming the engine by hand!
Old 09 June 2013, 19:50   #35

Town: Stockholm
Make: SR4
Engine: Suzuki dt50
Hello!

I am using an old SR4 with jockey seat as my daily workboat driving it in the port of Stockholm.
Due to all the passengerboats and the wake they make it is like beeing at sea a windy day.
I have a Suzuki dt 50 twostroke on the back with a 17" cupped steel prop. and the engine raised 2" on the transom and centerd.
Safe cruising speed is ca. 30 knots over 34 knots chine walking is allways near at hand, w.o.t. 6000 rpm ( 500 rpm over rev.) gives 39-40 knots and can be a near death experience.
I could easely change to a 18" prop. but it would not be to any use since the speed can not be handeld by a SR 4.
So I would say 40 hp and PT on a SR 4 is ideal if one rides most of the time alone in the boat.
My SR 4 is from 1976 I have understood and it has the original tubes!
Them SR-s are for shure high quality things and they rides trough the wakes like a dream when one has lerned to drive them correctly.
Old 09 June 2013, 19:52   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias M View Post
Hello!

I am using an old SR4 with jockey seat as my daily workboat driving it in the port of Stockholm.
Due to all the passengerboats and the wake they make it is like beeing at sea a windy day.
I have a Suzuki dt 50 twostroke on the back with a 17" cupped steel prop. and the engine raised 2" on the transom and centerd.
Safe cruising speed is ca. 30 knots over 34 knots chine walking is allways near at hand, w.o.t. 6000 rpm ( 500 rpm over rev.) gives 39-40 knots and can be a near death experience.
I could easely change to a 18" prop. but it would not be to any use since the speed can not be handeld by a SR 4.
So I would say 40 hp and PT on a SR 4 is ideal if one rides most of the time alone in the boat.
My SR 4 is from 1976 I have understood and it has the original tubes!
Them SR-s are for shure high quality things and they rides trough the wakes like a dream when one has lerned to drive them correctly.
Thanks very much for your response. So 50hp is obviously just over kill?

When you say it is a near death experience WOT do you mean it is scary or actually dangerous?

Henry
Old 09 June 2013, 20:17   #37

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Mattias, Welcome!

Henry - that's where human perception comes into play! Certainly the former.
Old 09 June 2013, 20:21   #38

Quote:
Thanks very much for your response. So 50hp is obviously just over kill?

When you say it is a near death experience WOT do you mean it is scary or actually dangerous?

Henry
Dangerous if you are not used it and respond quickly and correct.
At 40 knots my SR 4 will throw you out of the boat in 5 seconds if one is not careful enough.
At 30 knots one can go through realy big wakes and the boat only bounces from side to side a couple of times but it will not start chine walking.
I like the old 50 hp Suzuki 2 cyl. as it is low weight ca 75-80 kilos and long stroked for lots of torque but as for all few cyl. twostroke engines it allmost jumps of the transom at idle.
But on the other hand I am not in for trolling so bad idling ar not a problem to me.
I think it is good with a little extra power as it helps to get the boat up of the water quickly even with a quite agressive prop.
And I do not think a fourstroke engine would be a good choice since the weight gained can ruin the balance of a little boat as the SR 4, may be some one who has tried this can leave a comment.
/Mattias
Old 09 June 2013, 20:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias M View Post
Dangerous if you are not used it and respond quickly and correct.
At 40 knots my SR 4 will throw you out of the boat in 5 seconds if one is not careful enough.
At 30 knots one can go through realy big wakes and the boat only bounces from side to side a couple of times but it will not start chine walking.
I like the old 50 hp Suzuki 2 cyl. as it is low weight ca 75-80 kilos and long stroked for lots of torque but as for all few cyl. twostroke engines it allmost jumps of the transom at idle.
But on the other hand I am not in for trolling so bad idling ar not a problem to me.
I think it is good with a little extra power as it helps to get the boat up of the water quickly even with a quite agressive prop.
And I do not think a fourstroke engine would be a good choice since the weight gained can ruin the balance of a little boat as the SR 4, may be some one who has tried this can leave a comment.
/Mattias
I think I could be able to afford an etec, do you think a 40hp etec would be good? It is just for me being young fuel consumption is a big factor as well as the dad complaining about the noise when we are trolling for mackerel

Also the etecs are meant to be very reliable? Only thing that worries me is that if something goes wrong with the fuel injection that is your money handed over like a bunch of flowers
Old 09 June 2013, 21:07   #40

I think it would be a great engine if it has been taken care of and have had regular service, all used outboards are a bit of gamble if you ask me.
But as I use to say "skilled people has more luck than others" so search the web and find all info you can get on that engine.
/Mattias