Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 17 January 2007, 13:08   #1

Length: 4m +
Cheapest new 4m RIB with engine in UK?

What's the cheapest new new 4M RIB/engine/trailer package in the UK?
Summer use, fishing.
I saw a chap selling a 4M Tohatsu with 40 hp Tohatsu for 5k5. Are these any good?
Old 17 January 2007, 14:08   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourtess View Post
What's the cheapest new new 4M RIB/engine/trailer package in the UK?
Summer use, fishing.
I saw a chap selling a 4M Tohatsu with 40 hp Tohatsu for 5k5. Are these any good?
I suspect this is a common "question" that newbies to RIBS have (I know i did) - and I now think it is the wrong approach.

Value for money is more important than absolute cost. I ended up with a "not quite" RIB (solid sponsons so not inflatable) by approaching it from the standpoint you did. I don't regret it but next time round I will be asking a different question:

"For my budget of £ XXX what is the best value for money boat I can get that meets my needs."

My needs next time around will probably be better served by a longer boat (although storage is an issue for me then). My budget last time round was a little less than yours (you should be able to get a RB (non RIB) new for about £4k inc trailer and 20-25 hp engine). Hopefully next time it will be a bit bigger. I didn't want an "old" boat because I didn't want maintainance hastle. But 2 or 3 years old might be a sensible compromise. All out speed isn't that critical to me. Seating layout will be more important to me next time round.

What sort of waters/weathers are you planning to use it in (i.e. how choppy) has a big bearing on hull design.

Sorry that doesn't actually answer your question... ...but perhaps turn the question around to - whats the best boat I can get for fishing with £5,500 - oh and if you asked me that question I would suggest it might not be a rib!

There are things you can do to save a few £. Rig the boat yourself, go PVC in place of hypalon, get a smaller engine, do without an a-frame, get a crap trailer, etc. None of them actually get you a better boat for less £ though.

Finally bear in mind that: life jackets, flares, vhf, anchor, waterproofs/dry suits, gps, etc etc will all add cost probably budget at least £500 to get a 4m boat ready for the sea with 3 people on board.
Old 17 January 2007, 14:44   #3

Thanks for the answer polwart, appreciate it.
Funny enough one of my reasons for ging for a RIB is it's low height above water. With a hard boat I need to call the habourmaster to swing a footbridge, the RIB lads are able to nip under.
I was just wondering if anyone had found a nice well made solid bottom RIB, perhaps from Poland or some such place?
Old 17 January 2007, 15:31   #4

Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
RIBase
i bought an adventure 450 + 35hp selva last year for just under 6k grand boat for the money and run it for peanuts we had loads of fun on it even crossed the irish sea a few times. Have now upgraded to a 5.85 ribcraft + 140hp.
Old 17 January 2007, 15:33   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Not sure I see the point on that one.

The high point of a RIB is likely to be the outboard, assuming you're rigging for max clearance. That means no console, tiller steering, no A-Frame.

On a hard boat in the Jon boat style (or skiff style), the high point is likely to be... The outboard. Again, tiller steering, no console, no arch.

jky
Old 17 January 2007, 15:38   #6
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
i bought an adventure 450 + 35hp selva last year for just under 6k grand boat for the money and run it for peanuts we had loads of fun on it even crossed the irish sea a few times. Have now upgraded to a 5.85 ribcraft + 140hp.
Irish sea in a 4.5m rib??

James
Old 17 January 2007, 15:47   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by J S View Post
Irish sea in a 4.5m rib??

James
There are some people on here that went around the British Ilse in this size rib not so long ago!
Old 17 January 2007, 21:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Not sure I see the point on that one.

The high point of a RIB is likely to be the outboard, assuming you're rigging for max clearance. That means no console, tiller steering, no A-Frame.

On a hard boat in the Jon boat style (or skiff style), the high point is likely to be... The outboard. Again, tiller steering, no console, no arch.

jky
Sounds good, but wrong.
The cuddy style boats used for fishing over this side are at least twice as tall as a RIB. The other option is a little displacement flat boat (all of 8mph).
I speak from experience, having owned both cuddy boats and an inflatable (but never a fast RIB).
Old 17 January 2007, 21:42   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Sounds good, but wrong.
The cuddy style boats used for fishing over this side are at least twice as tall as a RIB. The other option is a little displacement flat boat (all of 8mph).
I speak from experience, having owned both cuddy boats and an inflatable (but never a fast RIB).
Your other option would be something like a dory - but depends on how choppy the water is.
Old 17 January 2007, 21:59   #10

I rented a RIB in the Med last summer. I loved driving her. Rather fancied a bit of that as well as the fishing.
Old 17 January 2007, 23:41   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I think Polwart has hit the nail on the head saying don't buy new. The initial depreciation hit on a 4m will be quite high. Let someone else take it. You won't have to mess around running in a new engine either.

Most importantly, try before you buy on a few models if you can.

(Gotta say it... I still think a Searider with the flooding hull is the best 4m for fishing as it's rather stable with the hull full)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 08:24   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
There are some people on here that went around the British Ilse in this size rib not so long ago!

For those of you who want to read (again?) about this epic, go here:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...=round+britain
Old 18 January 2007, 10:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I think Polwart has hit the nail on the head saying don't buy new. The initial depreciation hit on a 4m will be quite high. Let someone else take it. You won't have to mess around running in a new engine either.

Most importantly, try before you buy on a few models if you can.

(Gotta say it... I still think a Searider with the flooding hull is the best 4m for fishing as it's rather stable with the hull full)
OK.
I'm looking for a 4m RIB with decent engine up to 4 years old. Anyone got one for sale? 'cos I am interested...

(I'm in North Lancashire at the moment)
Old 18 January 2007, 12:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
Is this your boat Parm?....

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F128973/

Where do you get them for 6 grand?
Old 18 January 2007, 13:46   #15

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
OK.
I'm looking for a 4m RIB with decent engine up to 4 years old. Anyone got one for sale? 'cos I am interested...

(I'm in North Lancashire at the moment)
I'd agree with Nos4r2 than the searider is one of best 4m RIB's around. Have always felt safe in mine and it's got us home in some terrible conditions. They can be a bit wet and the accomodation is a little cramped but they are excellent boats. The sea-keeping ability is awesome, helped by the true deep vee hull and fact they are that bit heavier than some other 4m RIB's.

You can prob get a really good condition one older than 4 years. If you did that your budget could then possibly stretch to get a new / newish engine (40 or 50HP) which gives you the confidence it's not going to break down. That's what I did when I got my SR4 and then transferred engine to new boat.

I've got a 1981 SR4 with 25hp suzi for sale but I guess that's a bit too old for you (cheap tho!). Needs a bit of work - a good winter project. Tubes hold air but inner floor needs repaired. New trailer etc.

Good luck in your boat choice!
Old 18 January 2007, 14:04   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
couldn't agre more I loves Seariders me
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 18:17   #17

Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
RIBase
4m

yes thats my boat Ourtess i sent you a pm