Old 18 January 2003, 11:41   #11

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
cheap fuel

so 2 different results means that there is probably a way round it, but if safeways do it no hassle then i'll go there especially for 20p which is more than i've got off sainsburys.

Old 09 February 2003, 13:29   #12

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
I've used a simular deal at Sainsbury's and filled with 3 pumps and used one voucher!!!! as it was 1 transaction they didn't mind!!

90 Liters of LPG for the Landy
50 Liters of petrol for the Landy
90 Liters of petrol for Panther!!

Not a bad saving (did have a few cars queueing behind I think the wondered what I was doing)

I then spent 1 of my savings to ocupy the Jet wash and clean the boat down!! and the Free water attaches straight onto the engine to clean that out!!

Excellent service!! - and its just before I take the boat back to its shed!

Old 17 February 2003, 14:37   #13

Town: Cheltenham
I've had no problem filling up a line of ribs and cans going off into 300+ litres.

Normal prob is getting 20 x 25ltr cans to the garage to fill up without a fire officer paying attention.

Its best to have a friend walk into the shop to give them faith that you won't do a runner,

Like you could escape in a 4x4 with 2 tones of trailor and 250 litres of fuel!!! ha ha

There is the old argument of how many liters your vehicle can carry in plastic tanks, but i think built in SS are OK.
Who knows?
Its not something in the highway code is it!?

Tiger
Old 17 February 2003, 16:41   #14

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
The traffic police's book on road/vehicle law allows no more than two containers per vehicle, and no container can be larger than 10 litres.
Guess I was illegal then filling up three cans at a mainland Sainsbury's today to replace last week's use.
Old 19 February 2003, 03:44   #15

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Cheap Petrol & Loading

Hi Guys,

I wondered about Phil's comment on fuel loading, I contacted a friend who is a serving police traffic officer, who informs me that.

As pleasure boat users we can carry as much fuel as we want to provided that:-

1. It is in an oppropriate container designed to carry fuel & marked as such, (i.e. Jerry Cans or Auxillary Tanks & Fuel Containers).

2. When stored on a boat or in a vehicle it MUST BE secured properly. If in the event of an accident and you spill fuel from containers not tied down correctly then you would be prosecuted for carry an unsafe load.

As pleasure boat users we DO NOT come under COSH rules for carrying Flamable liguids or the Dangerous Goods Act which is part of the Road Traffic Act to which we as drivers fall under.

I would recommend that if you are requarly carrying large qantities of fuel, you carry appropriate fire extingquishers & hazard warning sticker (Highly Flamable Liquid) attached to your tow vehicle JUST IN CASE
Old 19 February 2003, 19:00   #16

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
Hmmm. Nice but possibly Scottish law different to English law ? Mind you a certain national trailer company seems to have a very similar version to the one I was told in it's advice notes.
I've also got the added problem of dangerous cargo declarations on ferries - but believe me, you really don't want to go there !!