Old 14 October 2008, 18:17   #21

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Clearly a minefield this but a few thoughts...

Two ends of the spectrum can work:

- The one (maybe two/three) man, craftsman builder who takes a real pride, is happy to show you what they do and is enthusiastic about what they do. Not necessarily the expensive (low overheads) but unlikely to be the absolute cheapest unless you really find an artisan. Seem to be quite a few reputable rib builders in this area. Fewer 'big boat' builders here apart from traditional wood guys. This is a very niche play - 'local craftsman'.

- The fully industrialised model, highly automated and a rigorous attention to quality control (ignore the ISO9000/1 badge though). Not sure if there are any rib builders here at all but one or two of the German / French placcy yacht mob are. This segment is the classic economy of scale with high volume, low price (margin) good quality

Then there is the vast middle ground producing a moderate volumes:
- some differentiate by ultra high quality bespoke build / very high price niche. This is a brand nich, expect to pay top price and get a commensurate service. Super yacht tender marketplace?
- some fill a different brand position of good quality, long term reputation, competitive but perhaps a bit over 'average' price.
- perhaps there are a couple more segments here... but play about with brand, price, quality dimensions...

The cautionary ones for me are:
- to look out for those that seem to be selling a product (rib) at a very competitive price with middling volumes - how are they doing that (do they have a different feature e.g. offshore construction - cheap labour)? Or is it quality that's being sacrificed?

So you can find cheap and quality at the ends of the spectrum, middle ground is harder to achieve this but you may consider there are 'value for money' niches there too (depends on your own evaluation criteria) but this is the dangerous ground. If you can't figure out how they do it then perhaps you should be concerned! Trouble is most of us don't have all the data to make a fully informed decision - especially when new to a area like buying your first rib...

(One last danger zone - are they expanding quickly? Quality may take a hit...)

(Takes cover...)
Old 14 October 2008, 18:43   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Did you mean this?
oops - the word "not" is missing.
Old 14 October 2008, 18:48   #23

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by polwart View Post

Old 18 October 2008, 04:51   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The irony of an accurate and intelligent person making a mistake on a thread about quality is not lost on me!
Old 21 October 2008, 21:51   #25

Town: Crawley
Boat name: BerryBuoys
Make: BananaShark
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 EFi
MMSI: 235068187
When we went to collect our new boat yesterday our boat-builder (hi Cookee ) gave us a CD with photos of the boat at various stages of the build. I know pictures can't answer a lot of the questions in Jono's original post but it did increase my already high confidence and trust in the gang.

I guess it might not be practical for the higher-volume manufacturers to do that kind of thing though...

Ian
Old 22 October 2008, 06:39   #26

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhappy View Post
When we went to collect our new boat yesterday our boat-builder (hi Cookee ) gave us a CD with photos of the boat at various stages of the build. I know pictures can't answer a lot of the questions in Jono's original post but it did increase my already high confidence and trust in the gang.

I guess it might not be practical for the higher-volume manufacturers to do that kind of thing though...

Ian
Dont see why not, since digital photography is so cheap and easy to do these days, well done I say, sounds like an excellent idea, if nothing else, it would help if you ever needed to do any modifications, since presumably you'd have a rough idea of the lay out of the hull
Old 22 October 2008, 12:37   #27

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhappy View Post

Ian
We have nothing to hide - just the opposite, we are proud of our quality of workmanship, that why Ian has a five year hull warranty as well!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote