Old 14 October 2008, 11:29   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
the most expensive is not necessarily the best.
Especially true when dealing with "name" brands, and moreso in the luxury range of products.

jky

Old 14 October 2008, 11:42   #12

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
"Best" isn't always necessary though either...

Depending on the intended use, it might not be necessary to have the best money can buy either. I compared my 15 year old Zodiac Hurricane to a friend's recently acquired Bombard. Mine is a completely different "animal", but it would also cost between three and four times as much as his by today's prices, even though the bpats are about the same size.

For what he wants his boat for, his Bombard was a good choice. Would he rather have a Hurricane? Absolutely. But the difference in cost couldn't be justified...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 12:00   #13

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Unlike cars which are built on a mechanised production line with controlled standards and normally come with a warranty for 3 or 5 years, most boats are hand built with the vagaries of quality which all humans can suffer.
Very true

Quote:
Jono - I agree that anything which is much cheaper than its competitors is probably going to be as good quality. However the corollary is not always true either - simply paying more doesn't necessarily mean you get better quality - ie. the most expensive is not necessarily the best.
Couldn't agree more
A simple example is the more expensive range of Halfords tools.
They are cheaper than for example Draper, but in my experiance last longer in heavy use.

Nasher
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 12:19   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Very true

Couldn't agree more
They are cheaper than for example Draper, but in my experiance last longer in heavy use.

Nasher
The Halfords pro range are brilliant - lifetime guarantee and made by Britool. Just as good as Snap On and way cheaper!!!
Old 14 October 2008, 12:20   #15

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Depending on the intended use, it might not be necessary to have the best money can buy either. ..

Yup..spot on. I have an exquisitely made set of Japanese chisels in the workshop that I can’t bring myself to use. I also have a set of Marples chisels, which I use all the time and perform admirably and will last a lifetime if not abused. They are both good “quality” but the Japanese ones, by virtue of their manufacture are a Hell of a lot dearer and will hold an edge better..but the “Cheapies” will outperform me every time…however….. you can buy “really” cheap chisels that are only fit for stirring paint with. If you look in our DIY type shops you’ll see that it is now getting more and more difficult to buy “good” tools as the public have been refusing to pay for “quality” items. This is even reflected by some of the major manufacturers outsourcing and re-branding to have any hope of competing…. However, because I’m a bit of a tool (Yes Dave, I know) snob.. I am well aware of this so can make a judgement based on my intended level of use and expectation of performance.
What if two tools looked the same, both came in a nice shiny box, complete with CE marking, but vastly different prices? Should I choose the cheap one because I think that essentially they’ll be the same…or should I choose the dear one because I think that the cheap one must be junk at that price?…..

How thick is the lay-up on your hull? Are you sure?
Old 14 October 2008, 12:39   #16
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
How thick is the lay-up on your hull? Are you sure? [/QUOTE]

As a rule of thumb can't you tell by the weight of the hull ....wow this is going to open a can of worms
Old 14 October 2008, 12:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Very true

Couldn't agree more

Nasher

Draper don't actually "make" anything at all....do they?
Old 14 October 2008, 12:50   #18

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
I agree that anything which is much cheaper than its competitors is probably going to be as good quality.
Did you mean this?
Old 14 October 2008, 13:09   #19

...back onto boats.... we have to include, in build costs the recouping of the initial outlay to produce/develop the boat in the first place. Ball-park figure for designing, producing a plug, making a mold, testing, re-making the plug then producing the production mold? Did you know that a single tank test of a model can be in the region of 5 to 10K….
That's going to be big cost to be spread over an anticipated production run. You can see why there are so many crooks out there who don't want this additional expense in a market that is already being squeezed... God Bless those who go straight and good luck to you... We, the boat buying public, should really support you..but we don’t always because we either don’t know, don’t care or can’t afford to.... then we cry “foul” when we come unstuck…

Support the good guys.. those who pay their way and build a boat properly..a boat we can be safe in…. if it means lowering our sights a little in terms of size and speed… surely that’s what we should be doing?

How do you think the builders would respond to being questioned on what materials they use and what specifications? It would be really handy to have that in writing PRIOR to any sale and not only give you reassurance that it’s safe and sound..but also good, documented evidence in the event of any potential dispute.
Old 14 October 2008, 13:10   #20
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I have an exquisitely made set of Japanese chisels

nise wan yew nobbur. wen de polis fownd mi stassh ov samewri sords, dats wot i towld dem az wel.

gaRf