Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 April 2010, 12:52   #31
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Cheers jk. Gonna send the bob the builder hats back to bob, consensus seems to be they aren't up to it and the visor may be too small in hindsight. Bid on some second hand ski goggles which if I win will do me. If not or if goggles near SFace price I'll give you a pm.
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2010, 17:39   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 499
Possible alternative specifically for marine use here

http://www.abaris.co.uk/index.php?ma...roducts_id=355

Personally I would still go for a Gekho but may suit some.

Mike
__________________

__________________
www.marine-rescue.co.uk
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2010, 07:40   #33
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Possible alternative specifically for marine use here

http://www.abaris.co.uk/index.php?ma...roducts_id=355

Personally I would still go for a Gekho but may suit some.

Mike
Cheers Mike, another alternative. As you say, at that price, I'd be tempted to go the whole hog and get a gecko. Horses for courses, it may suit someone.

Hopefully we won't need any visors this year as the weather will be tropical! Though sometimes it's good to play in the rough stuff!

Happy boating everyone, my season starts sunday!!!!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2010, 03:16   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
Worth keeping an eye out for one of these http://www.gathhelmets.co.uk/categories

No cheaper than a Gecko but an great alternative.
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 01:47   #35
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Victoria
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
No helmet is the cheapest...

If the objective is simply to keep driving rain off your face, what I use is a polyfleece neck warmer pulled up over my nose like a bandits mask, a set of watersport goggles, a toque or bill cap (set to lock), and in really ugly weather, my mustang jacket hood up with face shield velcro'd over. There is no exposed skin and I'm toasty warm in below freezing temps.

In low light on a shite day, a pair of seven dollar yellow safety glasses make the day look much happier and clear ones at night. When they're scratched, throw them out and use new.

If you stuff the bow, even a crew helmet won't keep your face off the radar box. Better to pay attention. The helmet will avoid head injuries, but it sounds like you're wanting to keep the rain from peeling your face off.

But then I'm a cheapskate, and I have wondered what a full face helmet with intercom would be like to use on a crewed boat. Maybe one of those suits NASA sends up with full environmental controls and a jetpack for close in manouevres
__________________
Beaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 02:53   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
The head Gear for serious ribbers.

Well having now read through all the above posts it seems there in not a good alternative to the Geko helmets.

Geko seem at this time the market leaders in marine headgear.

With full face or part face visors options of intercom fittings and an inflatable internal bladder inside the helmet means a good fit.
and very Light weight.

Not to mention a wide choice of colours.

I would choose a Geko again every time.
The headgear for serious ribbers.
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 07:31   #37
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
Well having now read through all the above posts it seems there in not a good alternative to the Geko helmets.

Geko seem at this time the market leaders in marine headgear.

With full face or part face visors options of intercom fittings and an inflatable internal bladder inside the helmet means a good fit.
and very Light weight.

Not to mention a wide choice of colours.

I would choose a Geko again every time.
The headgear for serious ribbers.
I think you are right, if you can justify the cost, ie useage. I don't boat enough, or often enough in horrible weather. I got lucky and won a set of decent SMITH ski goggles on ebay for 4 with yellow visor. Combined with decent Musto jacket with high collar and hood up, that should do. Interesting responses though.

Happy boating. Last weekend, i just needed shades, had sun/mon/tues on the water, bright sun, chilly wind, but flat calm. Awesome first week end.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 16:21   #38
Member
 
tony t's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I think you are right, if you can justify the cost, ie useage. I don't boat enough, or often enough in horrible weather. I got lucky and won a set of decent SMITH ski goggles on ebay for 4 with yellow visor. Combined with decent Musto jacket with high collar and hood up, that should do. Interesting responses though.

Happy boating. Last weekend, i just needed shades, had sun/mon/tues on the water, bright sun, chilly wind, but flat calm. Awesome first week end.
no pictures paul ...how about investing in a video/camera
__________________
When you get to the end of your rope..tie a knot and hang on..!!
Aberdovey Ribs
B.I.O.C.Member
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 15:20   #39
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
no pictures paul ...how about investing in a video/camera
Got an iPhone and got footage at 50mph from Beaumaris to Menai. Though when I upload to you tube it takes 2 hrs to upload 5 mins, nit sure what I'm doing wrong. Needs compressing or something.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 15:49   #40
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013


Finally, after 2 hours uploading.

Happy now mr T. shots from beaumaris pier up to puffin island on the menai straits, then a run down to the bridges past gallows point, bangor pier, the gazelle, ryan giggs house, then to menai itself.

Most of it at 30mph, but hit 50mph that day after i put the camera down. Well chuffed. Good for another couple of mph as well with some trimming a bit further. Went really well.
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.