Old 10 June 2013, 18:17   #1

Town: Coppull / Lligwy bay.
Boat name: Summer Blues
Make: Ribquest
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 90
MMSI: 235092012
charts for Loch Lomond

hello to all, i recently visited Loch Lomond, 2rd week at easter and noticed that my Garmin chart plotter did not have the loch installed, i ended up purchasing a paper chart from the rangers which was good, i have contacted Garmin and they said it was on an updated card but i have learned that it is not, can anyone help with this please as i am going back up begining of August for another trip out (on my last trip up there i only got on the water twice due to my steering siezing up, new helm installed there, had to wait 2 days for it to be delivered) so this time i want to return prepared.
Old 10 June 2013, 18:49   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I may well be wrong (as its a while since I checked) but I don't think it is available in any useful detail on any electronic chart. I have used two chart plotters (one Garmin one Lowrance) on the loch - one showed only the outline - no islands! the other showed the main islands, but lacked detail, and didn't show the few buoys, jetties etc which would be useful. Neither showed depth.
Old 11 June 2013, 15:06   #3

Town: arran
Boat name: 3 boats
Make: 3 boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: all
When not working else were I skipper the rib trips on the loch. There is no useful electronic chart of the loch. One of the head rangers did start surveying ect in his own time but was unable to get the backing needed. The paper charts combined with a depth sounder and compass work well.

Give me a shout when ur next out on the loch....
Old 12 June 2013, 12:19   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
If it's any help I have a small waypoint file. Needs a wee tidy up, but if you aren't heading back 'till August I guess that gives me an incentive to sort the file out!

It's a "join the dots to not hit anything land shaped" type thing, but it's better than nowt.

I have also been playing with GPX files (originally for the 70Wild miles event) and have reasonably sucessfully "plotted" the shores of the top of loch Etive using a generated trail.

This worked reasonably well on my Garmin GPS-V which has the capacity to store saved trails, but not surprisingly when used on my GPS12 (much limited memory - something like 1200 track points) I had a choice of either not recording the trail I was "laying" when afloat or recording my movements, but watch the loch shore dissappear as it was overwritten.

I started plotting Lomond last year, but life got in the way.

Gimme a shout if you want the wayopint file.