Old 01 September 2001, 08:42   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Charts

Good morning

I've always loved maps. I can sit and pour over maps for hours, it's as good as reading a book. Since getting my little boat I have discovered the new (to me) world of marine charts. Wow! a new world has opened up. Strange symbols, hidden rocks, new signs, depths, heights, lights...etc. It did not take me long to realise that I needed the Admiralty publication on chart symbols to decipher this new language. So with book in hand I have studied the charts anew.

I find the marine charts even better than maps. Why? Well, because the charts reveal that HIDDEN landscape under the sea surface. After many years looking out onto the Moray Firth I can now find out what is hidden under the surface. Quite literally a new world is being revealed to me.

I have purchased most of my charts from:

www.chartsales.co.uk

Marine Chart Services, in Northamptonshire, England. They offer charts of different specifications:

1. Second hand cancelled (not for navigation)
2. Second hand, current but not updated
3. Second hand, current and updated
4. New

The prices start at an incredible £2.50 for the cancelled charts (great for browsing). Their service has been quick, return of post so far. They also buy second hand charts and books. Oh yes, they also sell books in the same categories.

It is difficult to take charts out in a small inflatable like mine so I have scanned the relevant sections into my computer and printed them out on A4 size card and then laminated each section, thereby making them waterproof. As I do not travel far I have taken certain sections of the charts and 'blown' them up in size making them easier to read.

Yes, I know that the charts are copyright, however this is for MY OWN USE ONLY and I have only copied charts that I have purchased myself, also none of the charts or copies are loaned to any third party. This is okay. I speak here as a person with 5 published books so I know what it is like to have 'pirated' work!

Please check out Marine Chart Services website. This would also be a good link for the links page.

Keith Hart
Old 01 September 2001, 10:39   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Order

Just oredered a new flag, thanks Keith.
Old 02 September 2001, 13:33   #3
dja

>.... Wow! a new world has opened up....

Ever tried diving?

Cheers

D
Old 02 September 2001, 15:31   #4

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hang on a minute....I've only recently got the nerve to go out ON the water, never mind UNDER it.

My daughter Karen (Marine Biologist etc.) is a qualified diver, but to be honest the thought scares the hell out of me.

Just for the moment I'll watch from the top.

Keith Hart
Old 02 September 2001, 15:36   #5

Town: Devon
Make: Avon
Engine: 90 mariner
Kieth,

Thanks for the the tip off with chart sales, very helpful and cheep cheep!.

russ.