Old 25 June 2006, 21:25   #21

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray
do you need a passport to go to the Channel Islands? Will a photo driving license be sufficient?
You most certainly do need a passport. You are leaving the EU. The Channel Islands administrations are very keen to refuse potential illegal immigrants!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2006, 22:05   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
You most certainly do need a passport. You are leaving the EU. The Channel Islands administrations are very keen to refuse potential illegal immigrants!
Whilst it may be good practice to carry your passport to the CI - I think it is not actually required. There is an arrangement between the Channel Islands, The UK, The Isle of Man and Ireland where our citizens can travel freely to each others countries without a passport - the zone is known as the Common Travel Area. (This assumes you travel direct from one CTA country to the other if you go via the continent you will need a passport - both to get into e.g. france, but also to get into the CI as you will be seen to be coming from france who are outwith the CTA).
Old 25 June 2006, 22:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
There is an arrangement between the Channel Islands, The UK, The Isle of Man and Ireland where our citizens can travel freely to each others countries without a passport...
Which is exactly why you need the passport... to prove that you're a British citizen!
Old 25 June 2006, 22:16   #24
RIBnet admin team

You don't need a passport. (As already stated elsewhere it would make sense to take it - in case you have to go into french territorial waters).

Having arrived from a CTA country you will not be expected to produce a passport. This is just the same as driving from Belfast to Dublin or getting the plane from Edinburgh to Douglas, IoM (for which you will require a suitable photo ID - for security NOT immigration purposes).

Have just googled it to make sure I wasn't dreaming it - and various touristy websites all say no passport required.

http://www.greatescapes.co.uk/destin...Before_You_Go/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area
http://www.guernseytrademedia.com/tr....aspx#customs1
http://www.jersey.co.uk/jsyinfo/atoz.html#P
Old 25 June 2006, 22:22   #25
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Having arrived from a CTA country you will not be expected to produce a passport.
Which is all very well if you arrive by scheduled aircraft or ferry because it's clear that you came from a CTA country. Arrive under your own steam, and you might be asked to start proving things.

Having said that, I have never been asked for any documentation on my RIB in France, the Channel Islands, Northern Ireland, Scotland or England.

John
Old 25 June 2006, 22:31   #26

Quote:
it would make sense to take it - in case you have to go into french territorial waters
That gets even more complex.... the Channel Islands administrations will want to see your passport on exit if they have reason to believe that you're going to enter the EU (different country than journey start).

In fact, you are right... I don't think I had may passport on the day trip we did to Alderney a couple of years ago, and we cleared Customs, Immigration, etc at Braye Harbour. But our journey was a simple one.... Southampton - Alderney - Southampton. But make it any more complex and you to be cautious.

Like John, I've never been asked for any documentation for the RIB in either France or the Channel Islands.
Old 25 June 2006, 22:36   #27
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Which is all very well if you arrive by scheduled aircraft or ferry because it's clear that you came from a CTA country. Arrive under your own steam, and you might be asked to start proving things.

Having said that, I have never been asked for any documentation on my RIB in France, the Channel Islands, Northern Ireland, Scotland or England.

John
I quite agree, although to be fair if I go out in my boat for the day and return back to a different port in the UK then the same situation applies. (e.g. if I motor from glasgow to oban - then how would an immigration official in oban know where I had originated from? if I then went to Bangor NI again the same would apply, I could then quite feasibly go to liverpool or N Wales and it would be very unclear if I might have been ariving via the Isle of Man or Eire - but in reality I would not require a passport.

I never said it wasn't a good idea to take one to make life easier - it just technically is not required.
Old 25 June 2006, 22:46   #28

Quote:
...how would an immigration official in oban know where I had originated from?
1. Your own declaration.
2. Shore based radar.
3. Other intellignece (RN surface fleet observations, RN sub observations, and observations or information received from others).
Old 26 June 2006, 12:24   #29

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
This seems to be getting a little bit silly. You do not need a passport if you are travelling directly to the Channel Islands from anywhere in the British Isles. It does however come in use for ID purposes if you are questioned, whether you arrive by plane or boat. Having said that, I think the local harbour customs have decided to give up checking each and every boat that enters Jersey unless they suspect it is untoward. Worth also noting that if you travel from the Bailiwick of Guernsey (which includes Alderney, Sark and Herm) into the Bailiwick of Jersey, you are considered to have travelled from a separate custom jurisdiction so should fill out customs entry forms on arrival.

I think that should nicely add to the confusion
Old 29 June 2006, 20:38   #30

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
wots a passport ?

I once was asked for ID on entering Barnsley.....

Bit of a waste, beaches were terrible, water was a really thick brown consistency and you couldnt understand the locals !

« Weymouth | Top | Rib Tubes »