Old 04 June 2001, 18:18   #1
dja

channel crossing

I'm thinking about going from Portsmouth to Cherbourg/St. Malo.

Anybody done this and got any advice/opinions?

I have a 5.85m ribcraft with a 90hp mariner 4 stroke. The fuel tank is 180L.

I've only had the rib a few months but I have about 12000 miles of offshore/ocean short-handed racing experience on very high performance sail boats, so I have some idea of what the sea can be like.

D
Old 05 June 2001, 09:25   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
I can help you with the cruise from Portsmouth (starting at the Channel Light Vessel) to St.Malo, via, say Guernsey. It depends on how you want do the cruise. Are you intending going to Cherbourg initially and then on to St.Malo, or is it not important which way round you do it? Living in Jersey, as I am, I can certainly advise you of a number of passages or areas/dangers you need to be well aware of. Let me know of your intentions and we can put something together.

------------------
Old 05 June 2001, 10:29   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Portsmouth to Cherbourg is a very straightforward crossing, given a reasonably favourable weather forecast.

There are no major hazards (shipping lanes, but no traffic separation scheme to worry about); navigation is easy (come out of the Solent and steer 205 degrees for about 75 miles); Cherbourg is a huge target with easy all tides access!

In fact, this crossing isn't all that much longer than going round the Isle of Wight and it will probably be more comfortable too.

Cherbourg isn't a particularly special destination in its own right, but it does make a good stopover.

John
John

------------------
John Kennett
RIBnet
Old 05 June 2001, 20:33   #4
dja

Cheers folks,

The plan is actually to head for St Quay le Poitreux, so I suppose I can go between Alderney and the mainland and go direct???

Cheers

D

Old 05 June 2001, 21:52   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I could be interested depending on when you plan to go. BWM DS21 / 150 Opti. Can we go via the Channel Islands to fill up with cheap petrol?!

John - Since its easier than going round the IOW wanna come with me?

Alan
Old 06 June 2001, 08:48   #6

If you guys decide to go via Jersey, you would be most welcome to stay the night at my house and fill up with fuel @ 37p a litre!
Furthermore, crossing the channel to St Quay taking in the Channel Island(s, it would be better going via the Channel Light Vessel Racon (Western end off Casquets)and then on to the Little Russel Channel between Herm and Sark. You can either go in to St.Peter Port or press on to Jersey, St.Helier -30 miles down the road.
By the way, St.Peter Port to St Quay is only 53 miles ..... straight
St Quay has a few marinas accessible at all tidal states.

[This message has been edited by Stealth (edited 06 June 2001).]
Old 06 June 2001, 19:59   #7
dja

Hi all,

Had a shot today...but F6 sw loses it's appeal fairly easily.

Will try again in the morning as the forecast is better...and this time via the Needles.

D
Old 11 June 2001, 08:28   #8
dja

Hi Folks,

Went to Cherbourg on Thursday morning and continued to St Quay on Friday.

Returned on Sunday, stopping in St Helier for gas - thanks for the tip Stealth, I would have hung around but it was flying visit.

I was back in Chi harbour by 2100...so about 12 hours.

Old 11 June 2001, 17:31   #9

I was out and about on Sunday, could have kept you company to Gsy. Maybe next time?
You have my mobile?
Old 12 June 2001, 07:02   #10
dja

Stealth,

Yes, I think I do. Did you get my sms reply?

Leaving St Helier on Sunday around 1300 and going west about 2 miles off the coast was pretty lumpy...far more so than anything else I'd encountered on Sunday. Is that normal around there?

D
Old 12 June 2001, 13:00   #11

I did not receive your SMS?? Anyway, there are passages around this part of the world that are notorious for overfalls, and nasty races. You were probably referring to the area around La Corbiere which is pretty awful with wind against tide.
Old 16 June 2001, 23:10   #12
dja

La Corbiere...that's it...pretty awful and a split lip where the steering wheel got me! It was almost as bad as the Alderney Race 2 days before, which has quite a reputation.

We're actually sailors, but to cut a long story short our sailboat is not in the water this year, hence we're using the rib a lot...tho' maybe just as well I was on my own as the trip wouldn't have been much fun for a passenger.

Next time we'll prob tow/ferry the rib to cherbourg and then "do" the channel islands.

A rib is prob ideal around the islands, but I find long open water passages are expensive and (for want of a better expression) quite boring....tho' that's prob the sailor in me talking!

Oops...I didn't mean to upset anyone, but I'll put my flame-proof suit on now anyway!

D