Old 16 January 2015, 01:38   #11
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Gel batteries are expensive, and require pretty precise control on charging. Peter_C can give more info on that part.

For a smallish motor, driving minimal electronics for not really long periods, battery selection is not that critical. Any starting battery should do fine. If you expect to run electronics for long periods while drifting or anchored, go with a dual purpose style (though there is some speculation they're not all that different.) Check the Interstate website; they have pretty good info (as I recall - I ended up with a couple of blue-top Optimas.) West Marine is selling Duracell batteries - they looked OK to me, but didn't come in the size I needed.

You probably won't get much benefit from a deep cycle battery unless you really run it down without the motor running.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 04:20   #12
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
hi bud

i would use marine ply flow coated same shade as consul four SST brackets underneath bolted through must be strong due to pounding in rough a battery box with ratchet strap around battery.only four bolts and would look neat dome heads with Allen key in the center
the battery i use is a numax dual cycle marine battery plenty of starting power and will run accessories for a long time cost 100.00 GBP.
have used ordinary car batteries in the past with no probs IMO i like plenty of power available, i once had a kill switch wedge [dont know the terminology]snap at the base by the time we found the problem we had tried starting the engine lots of times a small battery would have gone flat.
also the numax has a charge indicator which is handy.

hope that helps

jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote